Painting lightbulbs

Old March 12th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
St Nitrogen

Default Painting lightbulbs

Hi there, I'm from Melbourne in Australia. The lighting in my
apartment is fairly harsh (as it is), and I have a plan to replace all
the bulbs with 25 watt version and paint them somehow to colour the
light. So, my question is, how would be best to go about that? Is
there a brand of glass paint that won't get into trouble under heat?
Can, even, coloured lightbulbs be found commercially? (Although, i'd
rather paint them myself). Thanks, L.

Old March 13th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.misc
mrspaulco

"St Nitrogen" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi there, I'm from Melbourne in Australia. The lighting in my
apartment is fairly harsh (as it is), and I have a plan to replace all
the bulbs with 25 watt version and paint them somehow to colour the
light. So, my question is, how would be best to go about that? Is
there a brand of glass paint that won't get into trouble under heat?
Can, even, coloured lightbulbs be found commercially? (Although, i'd
rather paint them myself). Thanks, L.

There should be something available... I know that people have, in the past,
given me painted light globes (have flowers etc painted on them)... maybe
take a trip to your local Spotlight and ask someone there?? Or buy a tube of
glass paint, and try it on one light globe...

Old March 13th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.misc
RonzClocks

Hi,

I have two more ideas.

At the craft stores you can buy bottles of glass etching paste. I use cut
pieces of tape where I don't want the glass to etch and then coat the entire
bulb with the paste. After it is washed off, only the design is left.

I also paint night lights. They are a lower wattage and don't get as hot,
but I use nail polish for those. The sparkle varieties make for a nice
effect.

I hope this helps...
...Ron

Home of RonzCrafts, Iris Folding, tole painting, sculpture and more
http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts/

Old March 13th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
Ashley Clarke

"St Nitrogen" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi there, I'm from Melbourne in Australia. The lighting in my
apartment is fairly harsh (as it is), and I have a plan to replace all
the bulbs with 25 watt version and paint them somehow to colour the
light. So, my question is, how would be best to go about that? Is
there a brand of glass paint that won't get into trouble under heat?
Can, even, coloured lightbulbs be found commercially? (Although, i'd
rather paint them myself). Thanks, L.

Could try experimenting with Marker Pens?
Pigments are usually robust to heat & light but the ground isn`t.

Ashley Clarke