A picture for Becki and other stuff

Old September 9th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lisa Caryl

Default A picture for Becki and other stuff

Okay Becki,
You asked for it, here it is, the latest set I made. The pink beads are
those cute tab beads that Marjean sells in her ebay shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisacaryl/

I haven't posted here in ages and no one prolly knows who I am except for
Sooz, maybe.
I also have a box there that has beadwork on it. It was accepted in the Fine
Arts division of the Iowa State Fair this year. Cool beans to me because it
did not fit in the quilting division. I didn't win a ribbon, but it felt
really great to be jurried in.

A (sort of) OT note, I got to teach at the John Campbell folk school in
North Carolina this summer. http://www.folkschool.org/ My good friend Martha
Green was teaching crazy quilting, and since her class was full, she was
able to hire me as an assistant. I taught some simple bead embellishment,
and helped Martha by being her 'ears' since she is nearly deaf.

It was just heavenly there. Every morning I watched the sun rise over the
Smokey Mountains as I sat on our front porch in a hand made rocking chair.
This link shows the house I stayed in. It is the picture in the very upper
left corner http://www.folkschool.org/lodging.html Other than a scarry
incident with a sneaky snake, it was wonderful. The food was to die for, and
the students eager and willing to try new things. Wish we were going back
next year too. But alas, Martha isn't going back til 2008. I *HOPE* the
class is full again so I can go too!

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old September 9th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dr. Sooz

Honey, the jewelry is nice, but the QUILT made me PEE!

``````````````````````````````

Old September 9th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lisa Caryl

Splort ! :-o
Really? I'm not in love with it yet. I keep adding things, hoping it will
grow on me. I don't want to give up on it though. I've already put many
treasures that the students shared or swapped with me from the Folk School.

It definitely needs more beadwork. And I may do something totally different
with the center block. Ideas range from a poem stitched on fabric to some
sort of floral wreath in beads/fabric/ribbons........well, you get the idea.
It will tell me what it needs when the time comes.

ups.com...

Old September 9th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl

Lisa
I remember you!
Love the box -- and the QUILT.
I'd like to do a trip to John Campbell
someday - a lot like Penland, no doubt,
which I loved....
You might check classes in textiles at
Penland each year also - the food was
"to die for" there too- as was the mountain
scenery!
(I call it "summer camp for adults" LOL)
I would love to do "summer camp"
someplace... maybe I can save enough for
next year - and some class will appeal to me.
Joyce Scott was at Penland that summer,
giving a beading class... and I met her.
Quite a woman (she can sing "scat" jazz
like you would not believe - and she's also
into quilts....) I'd like to take a class from
from her sometime.

Cheryl

Old September 9th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Lisa,

Your work is wonderful!!! Just beautiful!

I've been up tothe Campbell school, and it it beautiful, but the Wm.
Holland school (about 20 minutes away) is more in my price range. We go up
to Wm. Holland to take classes and I've taught there, but while we're there,
we usually go over to the Campbell school to look around. It's such a neat
place.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old September 10th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Hi Lisa,
Your fibre art work is wonderful! I so enjoyed looking at all the
beautiful and complex surfaces. They really spoke to me.
Marisa
www.galleryvittoria.co.nz

Old September 10th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Sooz -- for God's sake, don't pee on the fabric.

Lisa - STUNNING pieces, love them so much. Thanks for posting!

Becki

Old September 10th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Uh oh, time to hand Sooz the Depends.
Marisa

Old September 10th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lisa Caryl

Hi Cheryl,
Thank you :-) Wishing I was keeping that box, but it's going to a charity
auction to bennefit Youth and Shelter Services in our area. I would like to
buy it back, but the auction is by invitation only, and I don't even know if
I'll get invited!

I did look up Penland and it looks like it's just as beautiful there as John
Campbell. Since I'm working full time now, maybe there's a chance I could go
as a student to one or the other some day.

Old September 10th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lisa Caryl

Hi Jerri,
Thanks!
I was wondering if getting to Penland was easier than getting to JC. Martha
and I flew into Atlanta and then we had to hire a van to go another 1 1/2 ,
maybe 2 hrs. It seemed like we took some very twisty, winding roads that
weren't marked well. I'm not sure I could ever find my way there if I had
to drive it myself. Martha says that we could try in 2008, (provided I can
be her assistant again) but I think we'd need an extra day just to drive
around in case we got lost!