Alterations and Labor Day Goodies

Old August 29th 03, 02:32 PM

Default Alterations and Labor Day Goodies

I was out on Wed., picking up some repair materials for my Mum's
clothes which she left with me. Nice lined wool slacks and a skirt, a
former purchase; the pants lack slightly over 10 inches meeting in the
front, just over her belly. Every where else, they fit fine. The
protruding stomach is the result of a gall bladder operation. She looks
preggers, and I'm seriously wondering if the surgeon left a sponge
inside. I've been looking around, though, and see this figure type is
common with a lot of older women. It duplicates a preg. figure, so we
did take DM to a maternity shop to buy new clothes. Best solution for
this problem figure.
Back to the slacks.
I cut through the waist band at the sides-- two deep front darts, let
out fully, add 8 inches. The slacks will work with a flat front, as DM
always wears an overblouse. Need a bit over 2 inches, so the plan is to
insert a piece of wide elastic at the center back. This will give a bit
of wearing ease, and room for lunch.
The lined skirt has a deep side front pleat, like a mock-wrap, which I
have let out, freeing quite a bit of fabric to fit over what we call her
'smuggled watermelon'. I've had to release the lined-to-the vent-edge
lining, and will insert a panel of new lining to allow the skirt to hang
properly. The new waistband section will be pieced in just above where
I've let out the pleat.
Both garments will fit well and look quite nice when I'm finished,
and can conceivably be taken in if weight loss occurs.
I found nice crepe fabrics which are an almost perfect match, so
bought 1/8th yard each for adding new waistband sections.
I was at Hancocks', perusing the new pattern books, and one of the
salesladies drew my attention to their Labor Day sale. Patterns will be
99 cents; Vogue 75% off, and notions will be 50% off. My advice to
anyone on a pattern-buying binge: go now, make a list of which patterns
you want to buy, because, come Labor Day, you can't get near the pattern
books!
To finish up, here's my secret shopping Tip:
If I have plans or will be out of town the day of the sale, I arrange to
go to the store the night before, pick out the items I want, leave
credit card info/ or a check with one of my trusted substance-providers
;0, and retrieve the goodies when I get back in town. Works like a
champ!
Cea stuck my finger in my eye last night, and it is so
bloodshot that I look as if I've been on a bender.