OT Yay Me!

Old August 22nd 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default OT Yay Me!

On Aug 22, 8:50*am, Maureen Wozniak wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:31:20 -0500, NightMist wrote
(in article ):

I have been losing weight steadily since May, and today I hit the 30
pounds lost mark.

I have not been on some arcane diet. *I have not been using one of those
'eat only our food' programs, nor have I joined a gym.
What I have been doing is rooting hidden sugar out of my diet, the whole
family has been.
After eliminating the obvious, sugared drinks, sugar in coffee or tea,
etc., we went to war against food containing high fructose corn syrup.
We have been seeing it on labels for ages now, but never thought there
was enough in non-sweeties to make a difference. *There is.

It hasn't meant a lot of big changes, in a lot of cases it has just meant
changing brands. *We are eating more Aldi's store brands, they are
actually the best low to average priced brand for not putting junk in
their food.

We still eat sugar, but we eat it where we want it, not in everything
from catsup to mac and cheese.

Everybody in the house has lost weight, but I have lost the most. *I
think that at least part of that is that I am hypoglycemic, and all that
extra sugar was keeping a constantly slightly elevated insulin level
going, and that was dragging me down. *I definitely have more energy at
least.

NightMist

Congratulations! *Happy dancing for you!

Maureen

I don't think I could give up sugar in coffee. *Or half and half.- Hide quoted text -

The way I eliminated sugar/cream from my coffee decades ago was to
simply start using a bit less of each. The first taste is always
rough but you can get used to it. Once I was used to that reduced
amount, started reducing each again. After a couple of weeks I was
down to using 1/2 tsp. vs. 2 heaping tsp. per cup and just a splash of
cream. Decided the fixing was more trouble than it was worth and just
started drinking it black. Now I can't even think of drinking coffee
any other way. Even a shot 'o something as a dessert treat is too
sweet for me. And I only drink iced tea and did the same thing with
that with the sugar. Now I only drink unsweetened tea.
Old August 22nd 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I gave up caffeine for awhile when trying to keep cysts at bay. I went over
decaf tea with nothing added rather than creamed coffee. With only that
change I lost two pounds in a couple of months. The cysts didn't care one
way or the other so I went back to coffee. I am using less cream though.
The little changes do add up. Habits are tough to break though.
Taria

"NightMist" wrote in message

I didn't think I could either.
But I got used to Stevia in it quite quickly.
Do an experiment, every time you put sugar in your coffee put the same
amount into a separate container, and see how much sugar you are eating
via your coffee at the end of a week.
If you only have a cup or so a day it probably won't be more than a
quarter to a half pound or so. If you drink as much coffee as me though,
it comes out to a LOT.
When you stop and think that 3500 sugar calories is a pound on you, you
start adding up the bits you get daily.

Half and half isn't so bad.
Sure it has some fat in it, but it has less fat than the powdered stuff.
The powdered stuff is also loaded with sugar. It makes half and half
look positively healthy. We tend to use evaporated milk at our house
because DH is a bit of a fats nazi.

NightMist
--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Old August 22nd 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Indeed, Yay for You!! Hidden corn syrup is just insidious. I had no idea the big burger chains put sugar (in some form, probably corn) into their burger meat. No wonder it tastes so good and then leaves you feeling so bad in a few minutes. I mean, we all know a fast-food burger is too big and has too much fat, but who knew it had sugar that would make us crave it more? Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. And all propped up with your federal tax dollars subsidizing the corn industry.

Well, congrats on losing weight, NM. I know you must feel better and look better. Good job getting y our family in on the game of rooting out unwanted sugar without becoming so strict that it becomes a drag.

Sunny
Old August 23rd 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

My morning medication consists of a Very Large mug half filled with
low-fat milk. Heat in the microwave. Fill up with french press coffee.
No sugar, the milk is sweet enough. I look forward to it. Of course,
German coffee tends to be powerful enough that diluting with milk
makes perfect sense.
Roberta in D

Old August 26th 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 20/08/2011 18:31, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Woot! Woot!

As part of my WW diet regime, I cut out 90% of processed foods, and use
mosly raw ingredients. That helped me a lot.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Yay! Sunny[_2_] Quilting 2 April 7th 09 08:21 PM
Yay! Karen C in California Needlework 0 December 18th 07 02:40 AM
Yay! Linda Gaudet Quilting 36 January 27th 05 06:42 PM
OT -- YAY YAY YAY! Ding dong, the..... Dr. Sooz Beads 123 August 25th 04 08:38 PM
OT -- YAY YAY YAY! Ding dong, the..... LC aka Fiddy Beads 3 August 22nd 04 09:48 PM