Jeans

Old December 10th 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Default Jeans

HHHEEEEEEEEEE"S
BAAAAACCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butterfly (Grab your chair off the wall and PASS THE Cookies.....you DID
bring cookies, didn't you?)

Old December 10th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Chore jeans? Now there is my problem. If I got rid of all my jeans you
think
the chores would go away? Years ago we collected dh's sis from Orange
County/John Wayne airport. Everyone in the place had jeans on. DH wouldn't
wear blue jeans for a good while just as a protest to the 'uniform' they
were.
He is back to them and chores too now.
Taria

"Butterfly-Wings" wrote in message ...

They make a fantastic 'ground/picnic quilt'.... thick enuf to not let the
dampness in and wash rther easily.
to me, jeans were somthing worn when you were doing the barn chores. I do
ahve a pair for hiking but haven't worn them in a coupla years now. Got them
on sale and they have a nice beading up the sides of the legs and around the
pockets so they don't really Look like chore jeans.

Good seeing you posting again

Butterfly

Old December 12th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
cea

On Monday, December 10, 2012 6:30:34 PM UTC-5, Taria wrote:
[...]

________________
Brilliant thought! Will track chores to see if this lack of jeans works.
That's what they were originally designed for--work--specifically, out West in the US of A: panning for gold, laying railroad tracks, breaking horses, plowing the back 40. Good old Levi Strauss saw a desperate need, and filled it.
Surprisingly,though, since it is now associated with America, denim was originally made in France, and named for the--um, er, town or area--here my memory goes loosey-goosey, so I'll do this phonetically--De Nimes?
Sigh. What's really scary is the crap I remember in order to fill in crossword puzzles.
Anyway, I do a lot of gardening and yard work, and a pair of jeans will outlast any other pants, by three or four years or more. They also protect my legs from the slings and arrows of misfortune.
Why, only Sunday, I wore a lightweight pair of regular pants, and spent a good half-hour screaming in pain, trying to disentangle myself from the rose bush.
On the other hand, they are not comfortable to sit in for long hours at a work table or desk, unless extremely wide-legged.
Cea

Old December 12th 12, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Yes! Nimes is the town in France. And "jeans" IIRC comes from Genoa,
an important port at the time. Italian sailors and other workers went
everywhere, worked hard, and brought us all that good food tradition!
(which helps make us too fat for our jeans)
Roberta in D

________________

Old December 12th 12, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Next time you feel the need to buy jeans you might want to try on the Lee
Stretch Jeans and see if you can squat in them. These are my husband's
favorite dressy jeans.
Barbara in FL

"Brian" wrote in message
The other day, I bought some jeans (well actually by now I think it is a
few years ago). I do not buy jeans very often, and these jeans that I
bought very promptly reminded me of why I don't buy them very often.

I just don't find them as comfortable as everyone else seems to, and I
also feel like I should be out plowing the north 40 whenever I wear them.

Well anyway, I have total of 4 pair (the ones I got, and a pair of black
ones I already had), and a scrap of denim from a hakama that I made a
while back for my sword class that is roughly the size of a fat quarter, I
suppose. I also might have a few pieces of white denim hanging around
somewhere. There are a few things I figure I can do with these:

Start cutting them up and try my hand at a jeans quilt, but I am not sure
if 4 pair + ~a fat quarter + possibly some scraps is enough for a
quilt . If I used it in a quilt, no one would probably know it was not
from a pair of jeans unless I
told them, so I figure it is okay.

Extend the tie straps on my hakama. I have reason to want to make them
perhaps a foot or so longer on each end, but it looks like my ~FQ might be
enough for that, so then I still have the problem of what to do with the
actual jeans.

Fold them up and leave them at the drop box for the goodwill, and buy some
dockers or pants that I like better. Or do dockers count as a type of
jean? Are jeans a style no matter what they are made from, or is the
distinguishing feature of jeans that they are made of denim no matter what
specific pattern is used.

Something else?

Brian Christansen

Old December 12th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

"Dressy jeans" -- isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? That said, I pretty
much live in jeans. My "dressy" ones are corduroy. A couple years ago I
found a sale on corduroy jeans, they fit well, and I bought 4 pair in
different colors. (I consider any pants cut like jeans to be jeans,
regardless of fabric. Among other features, jeans have a yoke in back
and patch pockets.)

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 12th 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Maybe I should have said the Lee jeans are DH's nicest jeans that he wears
when he wants to look his best in jeans for a picnic or a very casual
party where most of the guys will be wearing their best jeans instead of
khakis
We are usually very casual and wear shorts most of the time. Today in
Florida the temps should get up to 80.
Barbara in Florida

Old December 12th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Those jeans with a bit of stretch hold their color a lot longer than all
cotton ones so they look new longer. Life is pretty casual in so cal.
There are few places you can dress really nice and not feel out of
place. : (
How is your son doing Bobbie?
Taria

m...

Old December 13th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:54:07 -0500, Bobbie Sews More wrote:
Next time you feel the need to buy jeans you might want to try on the Lee
Stretch Jeans and see if you can squat in them. These are my husband's
favorite dressy jeans.

And then there are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-Rqjt5kwg

This is also the company that offers crack spackle t-shirts:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...ket-74585.aspx

Kay