Names of patterns

Old August 31st 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Default Names of patterns

Do you ever wonder how a pattern got it's name?

I went on a school trip to (among other places) NY City in March (Hi
Kim!). It was my first ever trip to NY (State or City).

I went to Purl Soho (hosts the purlbee blog which I love!), and brought
back various fabrics.

Just now I was pondering, again, what exactly to make with these. And
this led me to think about New York Beauties. Granted I spent very
little time in NY State (and only a few days in NYC), but why that name?
Does anybody know?

Please: It is not that I don't think the city/state is pretty!

Hanne in DK
Old August 31st 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

just a guess on my part...
the NYB block appears to me to represent the headpiece/crown? on the statue
of liberty in NY harbour. she is their NY beauty.
j.

"Hanne in DK" wrote...

Old September 1st 11, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Jeanne, you are *SO* smart. That makes heaps of sense and would never have
crossed my mind. (Some of us must be content with just being a pretty
face.) Polly

Old September 1st 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 31, 1:24*pm, Hanne in DK wrote:
Do you ever wonder how a pattern got it's name?

I went on a school trip to (among other places) NY City in March (Hi
Kim!). It was my first ever trip to NY (State or City).

I went to Purl Soho (hosts the purlbee blog which I love!), and brought
back various fabrics.

Just now I was pondering, again, what exactly to make with these. And
this led me to think about New York Beauties. Granted I spent very
little time in NY State (and only a few days in NYC), but why that name?
Does anybody know?

Please: It is not that I don't think the city/state is pretty!

Hanne in DK

Back at ya Hanne! So good to meet up with you and your co-worker and
students were great!

I have to agree with Jeanne although I never would have thought of it
either. Did a paper piecing class on this block at my LQS last year
or so and truly love those blocks.
Old September 1st 11, 10:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

From info on this site:
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open..._playback_link

The NYB block was first known by that name in 1930, when the Mountain
Mist batting company published a pattern and called it that. Before
1930, it was traditionally called Crown of Thorns or Rocky Mountain
Rod.
Roberta in D

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:24:23 +0200, Hanne in DK
wrote:

Do you ever wonder how a pattern got it's name?

I went on a school trip to (among other places) NY City in March (Hi
Kim!). It was my first ever trip to NY (State or City).

I went to Purl Soho (hosts the purlbee blog which I love!), and brought
back various fabrics.

Just now I was pondering, again, what exactly to make with these. And
this led me to think about New York Beauties. Granted I spent very
little time in NY State (and only a few days in NYC), but why that name?
Does anybody know?

Please: It is not that I don't think the city/state is pretty!

Hanne in DK

Color names Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 6 August 6th 07 09:20 PM
OT - QI Names Melissa in NJ Quilting 38 February 18th 06 07:28 PM
Names I have for Sept. [email protected] Yarn 2 August 28th 05 04:55 PM
OT - doimain names... Polly S. Beads 15 April 25th 05 08:43 AM
OT Dog Names Kellie J. Berger Quilting 2 September 27th 04 02:50 PM