OFF TOPIC - tough news followed by good news

Old March 27th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OFF TOPIC - tough news followed by good news

Well, it's hockey tryout time and despite DS having a good record, he didn't
make a team in his current league. (don't worry, he'll find a good home)

BUT at the high school hockey brunch, he was named JV Goalie of the Year for
having had no losses.

Old March 27th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/27/07 7:00 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Well, it's hockey tryout time and despite DS having a good record, he didn't
make a team in his current league. (don't worry, he'll find a good home)

BUT at the high school hockey brunch, he was named JV Goalie of the Year for
having had no losses.

Too bad about the current league - but hit the tryouts at the other club!

Chin up-

ellice

Old March 27th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/27/07 4:13 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

On 3/27/07 7:00 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Well, it's hockey tryout time and despite DS having a good record, he didn't
make a team in his current league. (don't worry, he'll find a good home)

BUT at the high school hockey brunch, he was named JV Goalie of the Year for
having had no losses.

Too bad about the current league - but hit the tryouts at the other club!

Chin up-

ellice

He is - we have a good word in for a few other teams. His goalie coach
knows the coach at two places he's trying out for.....

I'll tell you the whole story later.

But the Goalie of the Year was a nice thing, especially as the other kid has
his nose seriously out of joint over it...

Old March 27th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

ellice wrote:
On 3/27/07 7:00 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Well, it's hockey tryout time and despite DS having a good record, he didn't
make a team in his current league. (don't worry, he'll find a good home)

BUT at the high school hockey brunch, he was named JV Goalie of the Year for
having had no losses.

Too bad about the current league - but hit the tryouts at the other club!

And whatever you do do NOT follow the example of some schools in the UK
who banned races etc at school sports days because some of the children
might lose and therefore be upset. I kid you not!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old March 28th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Evelyn M

That's good. It's weird but I've seen examples too where there is politics
in kids sports sometimes which affect kid placement. Even with try outs
that are supposed to be fair some of it is based on your reputation and who
your parents are or whatever.

BTW, my son wasn't going to play hockey next year and missed the first round
of try outs for squirts for next year. He had a good season, everyone on
his team improved thoughout the season and they were winning more and Phil
was playing well. So I was proud of him. But overall, he was getting tired
of hockey and still said he didn't want to play next year. But then he
heard they were looking for goalies and thought it might be fun to try
that. So he's signed up to play goalie next year. He had regular try outs
today and goalie try outs are next week. I'm nervous for him because he
only played hockey goalie in one game the year before last and now has to
try out as goalie having practically never done it before. It should be
interesting. He likes goalie in soccer and has quick reflexes so maybe he'd
be OK. He's not particularly flexible though. Up until now he's most
always played defense in hockey. We'll see what happens with that.

Hockey is nearly over, baseball and soccer are starting up.

-Evelyn

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 3/27/07 6:46 PM, in article ,
"Bruce Fletcher" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 3/27/07 7:00 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Well, it's hockey tryout time and despite DS having a good record, he
didn't
make a team in his current league. (don't worry, he'll find a good
home)

BUT at the high school hockey brunch, he was named JV Goalie of the
Year for
having had no losses.

Too bad about the current league - but hit the tryouts at the other
club!

And whatever you do do NOT follow the example of some schools in the UK
who banned races etc at school sports days because some of the children
might lose and therefore be upset. I kid you not!

Oh that happens here too. Also, no more dodge ball or tag.

DS has rallied nicely and is looking into other teams.

Cheryl

Old March 28th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/27/07 8:04 PM, in article ,
"Evelyn M" wrote:

That's good. It's weird but I've seen examples too where there is politics
in kids sports sometimes which affect kid placement. Even with try outs
that are supposed to be fair some of it is based on your reputation and who
your parents are or whatever.

Yah think! sorry - politics was all of it!

[...]

Which teams and what do you need for gear for him and how tall is he??? I
have goalie gear! LOL

Hockey is nearly over, baseball and soccer are starting up.

Hockey it never over LOL. DD starts skills in two weeks.... Summer HS league
starts in 4 weeks.

Thankfully, neither liked soccer. Soccer truly never ends. I know folks with
kids playing outside into November and starting again in March with indoor
leagues starting in October thru April. They're the real nuts. You just
can't stay warm outside in the November rains. At least I almost always have
a warm room and a coffee shop.