making knife pleats for umbrella

Old April 7th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default making knife pleats for umbrella

Hi All,
Most of what I've read describes how to make these for large
circles, skirts, sleeves, necks, but I want to make it for a small
circle, about a half an inch diameter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Old April 7th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Shinnen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
Most of what I've read describes how to make these for large
circles, skirts, sleeves, necks, but I want to make it for a small
circle, about a half an inch diameter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Just cut a smaller circle and the pleats will form naturally when you put it
over the center spoke.

Lucille

Old April 8th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Shinnen if you won`t attach it , it won`t strech when opened and won`t
do what it has to do! and might Fly away with the first wind......
the Attaching can be done with a very tiny firm stich.....in this
day`s Fad you might even consider adding a bead to the outerside of
the stich,,,,
mirjam

Thanks Miriam/Lucille,
The circles I like have about 30 pleats, and are separte
from the canopy. (They just slip over the post.) I don't really want to
attach anything to the canopy. They go from about 1/4" or 1/2 inch ID
to about 1 1/2" or 2" OD.

Old April 8th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Hi Mirjam,
I don't think it's supposed to stretch. It's stitched, about
1/4" in from the inside diameter. Also, it's held on by the decorative
piece that goes over the end of the post. I can send you a picture of
one I have if you send me an address.

John

Old April 8th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Thank you John i don`t need a picture . I have a special feeling for
Umbrellas , my Praternal GF was a manufacturer of UMbrellas and
Sunshades ,,, mirjam

Old April 9th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Hi Mirjam,
I hope I didn't offend you. After much surfing I have come to
understand that the proper term for what I'm trying to make is a "knife
pleated rosette".

John