rust spots on fabric

Old March 1st 04, 09:05 PM
Julie

Default rust spots on fabric

I know that others have mentioned various ways of getting this out in the
past, but I haven't been paying attention. Reason being because until now,
I didn't need to know or worry about it. Can those who know how to get this
out safely let me know ? Material is an off white, very pale beige color,
but definetely yellow in hue as opposed to white. Linen or even weave type
material. This kit was in my stash for a long time before I picked it out
to do it and a needle was supplied with the material, already poked into the
fabric ( the source of the rust spot ). I will not be able to cover the
entire problem area and have remaining one tiny spot and a line about 1/4"
long. Any help would be appreciated. It is a WIP now so I will have to
attack this with an extremely fine area touch, perhaps a Q-tip dabbed with
something or other .....

Julie
--
* remove nospam_ from the email address to reply

Old March 2nd 04, 02:55 AM
Olwynmary

a needle was supplied with the material, already poked into the fabric ( the
source of the rust spot ). I will not be able to cover the entire problem area
and have remaining one tiny spot and a line about 1/4" long.

I would leave it alone until I had finished the piece (make it a priority!!),
then, when it is all complete and ready for laundering, treat it with "Whink"
rust remover, rinse thoroughly in cold water, then launder as usual.

P.S. When you do launder it, you may find that it is in fact white, or perhaps
"natural", had just yellowed in storage.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old March 2nd 04, 11:36 AM
F.James Cripwell

What you need is called a chelating agent. There are several that
can be bought over the counter. Just follow the instructions carefully.

"Julie" ) writes:
[...]

Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
time that is spent in stitching.
Adapted from a sign on The Cobb, Lyme Regis, England.

Fabrics & free shipping on Quanities joan Marketplace 0 December 6th 03 06:12 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM