OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 9th 05, 07:50 PM
MRH

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I think
it's
spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it Al-u-min-ee-um in
my
mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we learned the English

pronunciation
"lef-ten-ant" instead of lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out of the
spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick with English
things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT. (shrug)

Shelagh

That's the way I learned it too, Shelagh! )

Peace!
Gem

Old October 9th 05, 09:07 PM
Carey N.

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I think
it's
spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it Al-u-min-ee-um in
my
mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we learned the English

pronunciation
"lef-ten-ant" instead of lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out of

the
spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick with English
things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT. (shrug)

Shelagh

That's the way I learned it too, Shelagh! )

Peace!
Gem

Everytime I hear the word "lef-ten-ant" I wonder is there is a
"right-ten-ant" ?
;-))
--
Carey in MA

Old October 9th 05, 10:26 PM
The YarnWright

"Carey N." wrote in message

[...]

OMG, me too, Carey?
And, on top of it all, I'm hearing...
"I say tom may toe, you say tom mah toe, I say pot tay toe, you say poh tah
toe... let's call the whole thing off.."
Splort!
Noreen

Old October 9th 05, 11:13 PM
Penny Gaines

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote:

Just curious, since pronunciations of other words are being discussed in
another thread... Can someone from England please tell me how you, in
your part of the country, pronounce the word ALUMINUM please?

My late mother-in-law (from Ashford Kent) used to say A-lu-MIN-ium. She

[snip]
became very agitated and indignant and said "In England it is pronounced
A-lu-MIN-ium, and since we speak *proper* English that is the correct way
of saying it, NOT the way you say it here in Canada."

I'd saw AL-yu-MIN-yum. Dh agrees with me.

I'm reminded of the chemistry teacher I had when I was 11yo: I lived in
southern England, and she was Scottish. I'm sure was talking about
"aran filings", perhaps from the Isle of Aran: she was actually saying
"*iron* filings".

--
Penny Gaines

WIP: waistcoat for dh, crotchet blanket, spotted fake fur cushion cover,
6x6
After that... jumper for ds, cushion for dd,
And then ... throw for sitting room, jumper for me

Old October 10th 05, 02:24 AM
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian, I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also
pronouncing all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is
the non existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me
understand? (laugh)

SImple, Shelagh. We spell it differently in Canada from the way it is
spelled in the UK.

Katherine

Well, there you go. That's my "I learned something new today" thing. ;)

Shelagh

Old October 10th 05, 02:55 AM
Katherine

We always said "Leftenant", which is the Canadian way, as well as the UK and
Australian.

Katherine

MRH wrote:
Thank you, Christine, and all the rest of you who got into this
discussion.
o)

It all depends then on how you heard / learned the word while growing
up. I know in our house we always had Reynolds Aluminum Foil, and we
always said (and heard others in our area say) A-loom-in-um. This
was (aluminum) also the way we learned to spell it at school. To
each his/her own! ;o)
Oh, Norma... I had never actually even heard the word leftenant until
I saw a war movie and heard the British people saying it. I had
always heard lieutenant. Maybe my ears only hear(d) in American
when it came to some words? LOL

I know that I grew up spelling colour with a U in there, but
somewhere along the way in school I was taught that in the US they
don't put the U in the word. Now I spell it either way... but I
still spell it coloUr most times!
Peace!
Gemini
- differences make us unique and interesting. ;o)

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
This will hopefully explain all, and to be honest I've never seen it
spelt without 2 i's, but when I read the Wikipedia article it all
became clear (ish!)
Love Christine

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i"
in the
word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't
all our differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you
say AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As
a Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also pronouncing
all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is the non
existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me understand?
(laugh) Shelagh

Old October 10th 05, 02:56 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:

wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i"
in the word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there.
Aren't all our differences what make the world a more interesting
place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you
say AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As
a Canadian, I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also
pronouncing all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is
the non existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me
understand? (laugh)

SImple, Shelagh. We spell it differently in Canada from the way it is
spelled in the UK.

Katherine

Katherine, some sources will spell it the English way and some the
American way.

This is true.

Katherine

Old October 10th 05, 02:57 AM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I
think it's spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it
Al-u-min-ee-um in my mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we
learned the English pronunciation "lef-ten-ant" instead of
lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out of
the spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick with
English things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT. (shrug)

How do you get an "r" in "Colonel"??? Same thing. Oh, and my father, sister,
and son were all in the military and they all pronounced if "leftenant".

Katherine

Old October 10th 05, 02:57 AM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you
say AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As
a Canadian, I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also
pronouncing all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is
the non existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me
understand? (laugh)

SImple, Shelagh. We spell it differently in Canada from the way it is
spelled in the UK.

Katherine

Well, there you go. That's my "I learned something new today" thing.
;)

Then it was a good day!

Katherine

Old October 10th 05, 03:49 AM
Norma Woods

ok, here's another one! Often. How do you pronounce it? Off-Ten, or Offen? I
was taught Off-en. But my daughter learned Off-ten in school.

--
In Star love and friendship,
Sister Norma Woods