Finishing knotted silk necklaces

Old September 21st 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera Stratton

Default Finishing knotted silk necklaces

I have this vision for a necklace I want to make, and it involves
knotted silk cord... you know the stuff that's like rolled, dyed silk
ribbon? I have two related questions; one, do you have any experience
knotting this stuff between beads... is that an OK idea, or will it
stretch? Is there a better natural material I could use? It has to have
that "look and feel" of silk, is the only thing. It also has to be at
least a little sexy-sounding, LOL!

Second, more crucial question... the necklace will be fairly heavy and
I'd like to finish it with a high-quality safety clasp, maybe even 18k
gold, but I don't know what to do with the ENDS. I want something that
will be really durable, but I have *no* experience with finishing this
sort of thing. Do you know what a good finishing method might be, or
have any pointers for researching some? Bead tips with glue kind of
scare me... are they *really* strong enough, would they withstand the
test of time? I've also seen cord crimp tips... they're pretty too, but
are they going to hold up?

I will certainly have to do some practice knotting, so I may do a couple
of test-run necklaces with silver clasps before I try to finish "the
one". Any feedback on this project is welcome... it's been stewing in
the back of my mind for I think going on two years, and it's TIME.

Thanks!

-Kalera
Old September 21st 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Su

Second, more crucial question... the necklace will be fairly heavy and
I'd like to finish it with a high-quality safety clasp, maybe even 18k
gold, but I don't know what to do with the ENDS. I want something that
will be really durable, but I have *no* experience with finishing this
sort of thing. Do you know what a good finishing method might be, or
have any pointers for researching some? Bead tips with glue kind of
scare me... are they *really* strong enough, would they withstand the
test of time? I've also seen cord crimp tips... they're pretty too, but
are they going to hold up?

Hi, Kalera,

Eni Oken has a tutorial on her site at
http://www.enioken.com/jewelry/lessons.html with a great free lesson on
how to finish leather cord, which would also work well with silks.

I am planning to try some variations on her lesson to do leather and
other cords. It looks like a very useful system.

Make sure to post photos?

-Su

www.tillermanbeads.co.uk
www.britishlampwork.co.uk

Old September 21st 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
karin

Silk will stretch - so especially if your pendant is big, that might
not be such a good idea. Rayon will take dye very nicely, and is very
silky feeling, so I would be tempted to go with that.

Karin

Old September 21st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

If the holes are big you can use satin rattail.
I have used it. I used some ribbon clamps for the ends but they are only
plated ones.
Shirley

In message , Kalera
Stratton writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old September 21st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dr. Sooz

But you can pre-stretch silk. I do. I tie a mug (or other heavy
object) to the ends, place a towel over the top of a door, and put my
cord over the towel with a mug on each end. I leave it overnight or
longer.

``````````````````````````````````

Old September 21st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dr. Sooz

I think Kalera's talking about the matte-finish silk wrinkley ribbons
(they're misnamed "cords") that are sweeping the market here in the US.
They're totally different from rattail.

Kalera, I wish you were HERE -- I'd show you how to finish it using
beadcaps and other stuff -- strong, too. BLEAGH! POO.

`````````````````````````````````````````

Old September 22nd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

That is something else that has not reached the UK
Shirley

In message .com, Dr.
Sooz writes

Old September 23rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Jan G

I bought a kit with silk cords and beads at Bead and Button. Six cords
and three strings of beads. To finish the ends the cord was impaled on
wire and hidden in a sterling silver cone. The wire came out through the
cone, a few beads to match the strings of beads were added then the toggle
clasp attached and the wire wrapped to finish it off.

The nine threads, all in shades of colbalt and turquoise were all put
through a central pendant. No other beads were on the silk cords.

Hope the idea of a cone helps.

Cheers, Jan

Old September 27th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

Su wrote:

Hi, Kalera,

Eni Oken has a tutorial on her site at
http://www.enioken.com/jewelry/lessons.html with a great free lesson on
how to finish leather cord, which would also work well with silks.

Oh, thanks, Su! That looks like a possible avenue.

I am planning to try some variations on her lesson to do leather and
other cords. It looks like a very useful system.

Make sure to post photos?

I will, for sure!

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old September 27th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

Jan G wrote:
I bought a kit with silk cords and beads at Bead and Button. Six cords
and three strings of beads. To finish the ends the cord was impaled on
wire and hidden in a sterling silver cone. The wire came out through the
cone, a few beads to match the strings of beads were added then the toggle
clasp attached and the wire wrapped to finish it off.

The nine threads, all in shades of colbalt and turquoise were all put
through a central pendant. No other beads were on the silk cords.

Hope the idea of a cone helps.

Cheers, Jan

Hmmmm, cones sound pretty and professional-looking. I will see if I can
find them in gold. Thanks Jan!

Silk thread john howison Needlework 5 December 22nd 05 07:34 AM
Embroidering on Silk Gauze & Museum Inspirations [email protected] Needlework 26 September 18th 05 02:50 PM
Advice on finishing necklaces.. Audrey Beads 6 September 6th 04 05:48 PM
Surface Embroidery Kits - Designs Influenced by Wm Morris sewingsusan Needlework 12 June 17th 04 07:05 AM