OT - Comments on your websites

Old April 7th 05, 04:53 PM
Arondelle

Default OT - Comments on your websites

Have you ever wondered what people thought about you work? That is,
people who go to your website, but don't necessarily read RCB?

I used to have a commenting utility on my blog -- which never got used.
I suspect that was because the few people who bothered to read my blog
didn't have an opinion that they wanted to share, but it could have been
because Blogger's commenting is a pain in the butt to use. (BTDT)

So, just for laughs, I went looking for an alternative, and found it in
Haloscan (http://www.haloscan.com). Free (or cheap if you want more
stuff), and easy to use and maintain -- and it's not just for blogs as I
came to discover.

I signed up for a free account and have been applying the comments tags
to the image pages of my 3D art gallery. They work just like comments
for blogs, except that you have to update a parameter in the script by
hand (a different one for each page), rather than letting the blog
software do it. That's no big deal if you're creating a new page,
though, especially if you use templates. Slightly more of a pain if you
want to update old pages, but what the heck? They needed an overhaul,
anyway.

The comments are stored on Haloscan's servers, and there is a limit to
the number of comments you can have active (comments are also archived
every 4 months, so older ones disappear), but it's perfect for
small-time users like myself.

If you want to see Haloscan in action, visit my 3D art gallery:
http://www.red-death.com/~arondelle/...llerymain.html
Don't be shy and leave some feedback. :-)

The updated pages are in the Cartoonime and the RPG galleries. With
over a hundred pages to update/overhaul, I've only done a few for test
purposes; anything marked as "New!" in those two galleries will
certainly have the comment/feedback feature implimented.

Arondelle
--
"Supermodels. Hah! Nothing 'super' about them - spoiled, stupid little
stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.

"Feh! I used to design for GODS!"

Edna Mode: "The Incredibles"