Books on Serging, recommendations please?

Old August 31st 03, 06:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Books on Serging, recommendations please?

Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. waves to Kate and Cea and others
who linger in RCTQ as well.
Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought that
it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my sewing.
Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose, but
going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better way
to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates enthusiasm
is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access to
lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 31st 03, 07:04 PM
nana2b

Hi Kate, Thank you for your book recommendations. I own a serger and have
been scared to death of it. Finally took the plunge and serged the edge of
a fleece blanket with 3 threads and a Wooly Nylon in lower looper. Adjusted
the differential feed and it worked!!!! I am going to buy the books you
suggested and hopefully this will demystifiy the beast. Thank you, Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 31st 03, 07:54 PM
Diana Curtis

It sure does! Thank you for your time and opinions. The more opinions I get
the better I will be able to make my choice.
Is serging as wonderful as you had hoped?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jon and Sandy Petersen" wrote in message
I like the book put out by Nancy Zieman "The ultimate serger answer guide"
and The Singer series book "The New Sewing with a Serger" and by Chris
James "The complete Serger Handbook" I have only been serging for about

year and a half now and these book came in handy.
Hope this helps,
Sandy

Old August 31st 03, 08:18 PM
Jon and Sandy Petersen

Yes, it is! I wouldn't trade in my serger for anything. I use it to make
knit clothes for my son, nieces and nephew and myself. I can whip out a
shirt and pants in no time. I just made 4 outfits each for my niece and my
nephew for their b-days. The four pairs of pants I did for my niece I did
in an evening. I did have everything cut out already so it did speed up the
process considerably. I did the shirts for my niece with a rolled edge and
made the lettuce edge on the sleeves and the hemline. You will enjoy
having a serger. I am still learning all the different features that my
serger does.

Old August 31st 03, 11:31 PM
Diana Curtis

Your enthusiasm has me all excited now! Thanks again, this is just the
response I hoped youd have.
Diana

Old August 31st 03, 11:32 PM
Diana Curtis

Thanks for posting your book list. I hadnt even realized it was there! What
other treasures have I overlooked? hmmmmm????
This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.
Thanks Kate,
Diana

--
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:

[...]

Take a look at my web site for the Book List: there are a few serger
books on that. ISBN's included.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 1st 03, 12:38 AM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

[...]

To see some of the things I have got up to with mine recently, go look
at the wedding stuff on my web site. I tend to do a lot with it once I
get going! Also take a look at some of the costume stuff - there are
examples of all sorts of serged things in odd places...

Old September 1st 03, 12:43 AM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

Thanks for posting your book list. I hadnt even realized it was there! What
other treasures have I overlooked? hmmmmm????
This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.
Thanks Kate,
Diana

Glad it helps! You never know what you might find on my site until you
go looking around... Anything from bread recipes to tips on sewing!
Did you look at my serger comparison? I borrowed a serger for a while
when mine was in need of a minor part, and did a comparison. There are
some features on the F&R I'd like to have on my Huskylock, but other
things that annoyed me about it. I'd love to borrow a few more to
explore...

Old September 1st 03, 01:55 AM

Diana Curtis wrote:

This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.

Just curious, what are you using them for?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old September 1st 03, 02:57 PM
Diana Curtis

Im using you reviews to help me select a good reference book so when my
serger comes to live here I will not have to bother you good folks with
questions all the time. Just for the important questions. :-)
Thanks,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in