Quilt backing

Old January 21st 05, 04:52 AM
Robin

Default Quilt backing

Has anyone tried making a quilt back from scraps? What I'm thinking of would, more or less, be a crazy quilt on one side and different block patterns on the other side. If you have tried this, how did it work out? Too many seams, too much bulk? Or was it okay?

Thanks!

Robin

Old January 21st 05, 05:06 AM
Jalynne

I've done it before. It's a pain to hand quilt, but by machine it's usually no big
deal.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

m...

Old January 21st 05, 02:02 PM
Julia Altshuler

I've made a 2-topped queen size quilt. It was pieced with one color
scheme on one side and pieced in a completely different pattern and
different color scheme on the other side. I didn't try to make the 2
sides the exact same measured size. I decided that the teal-purple side
was the top and treated it as such. I decided the red-black side would
be treated as the bottom. I made that side 4" larger all the way around
and planned the design so the edges could be trimmed without a lot of
worry. In other words, if the plain border was a little larger or
shorter or not exactly straight on the back, it still looked O.K. The
top was going to be trimmed exactly square.

The basting was a pain in the neck. I must have put a pin every 2". I
believe it was necessary. I machine quilted from the top as usual.
Even with all the pins, I got little pin tucks on the back that I
honestly think couldn't be avoided. You know how you smoothe out the
back to make it lie completely flat before starting to baste? With all
those seams and biases, the back never got as flat as I would have
liked, and the pin tucks were a result.

Other than that, the quilt has to be one of the best I've ever made.
We're talking a real show stopper here. (It was a wedding gift, not
entered in a show, but you know what I mean.)

--Lia

Has anyone tried making a quilt back from scraps? What I'm thinking it

Old January 21st 05, 03:04 PM
JG1

I made one of scraps. I didn't feel comfortable making a crazy quilt look, so made it all of 2" squares (of course, some were strip pieced, then cut). You can see it in my Yahoo Photos album (addy in siggie). In Quillows album. Glo's TeaCups (should be 6th pic).

Well, my first ever quilt was made with old flannel pajamas as the backing--it's great for memories, but doesn't look very good. What did I know? I was doing it all on my own without any books or instructions or anyone to ask how to do any of it. It's the 5th pic in my Quilts Album.

I've made 3 quilts with both sides pieced--different patterns on each side.
In Quillows album
Pic#3 Dad's Birthday & Father's Day
Pic#4 Mom's Birthday & Mother's Day
In Quilts Album
Last 2 photos Our Quilt 2004 (Summer and Winter sides)
--
Ginger (in Texas)
http://photos.yahoo.com/gingerbread1958

Old January 21st 05, 10:22 PM
Anna Belle

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:52:24 GMT, "Robin"
wrote:

Has anyone tried making a quilt back from scraps? What I'm thinking of would, more or less, be a crazy quilt on one side and different block patterns on the other side. If you have tried this, how did it work out? Too many seams, too much bulk? Or was it okay?

Thanks!

Robin

Robin,
I just finished a queen stained glass style sampler quilt. Have a
good quilter and she did a wonderful job.
I patched the back together in random size pieces from the front
fabics. Some were generous fat quarter sizes and some were larger and
smaller. "My" quilter used primary varigated thread on top and bottom
and changed to black on top for the black sashings. It is great and
the back lowered the level (a little) of my scrap basket.
Front & back are pretty much solids or shade or shade.

Anna Belle in Palm Bay
Old January 22nd 05, 04:23 AM
DrQuilter

I think we have different definitions of scraps... my basket of scraps
does not contain FQ or larger sized 'scraps'! that is stash.. )

wrote:

[...]

(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 22nd 05, 04:27 AM
taria

Me too doc.
Taria

Old January 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
Anna Belle

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:23:52 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

I think we have different definitions of scraps... my basket of scraps
does not contain FQ or larger sized 'scraps'! that is stash.. )

They were the leftovers "scraps" from the front. Would have been
stash if I had not used them on the back. Not all were that big and
they were random sizes to make them fit large enough to fill the space
for the back.
AB in Palm Bay