Federal Period - Embroidery

Old August 9th 03, 01:46 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Federal Period - Embroidery

I did some hunting up and discovered garments with lovely surface
embroideries during this period. Lots of silk threads, and especially
silk chenilles. Including a footstool (wool on linen in petit point)
featuring a stag as the centerpiece and a flowered border with a wool
fringe.

Someone posted in this thread about the "society" not putting up
needlework on the walls. I rather think this might be true. What the
ladies did do was copy paintings of the Renaissance in their
embroideries (the stag on the footstool - another footstool with a
leapord bordered with flowers).

The original poster might want to check out the Peabody Essex museum.

Dianne

Old August 9th 03, 03:31 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Dianne for your help !
Old August 9th 03, 04:29 PM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

The original poster might want to check out the Peabody Essex museum.

I thought that too, because of their "Painted with Thread" exhibit a few
years back, but when I poked around, there wasn't much from the federal
period. But perhaps I didn't look hard enough. Anyhow, the web address
is www.pem.org.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old August 10th 03, 01:02 AM
BDS2pds

Oh thank you thank you thank you! Anyone with comments on this era is greatly
appreciated. We have such a wealth of knowledge in this group. I was studying
the coin silver items today and lots for me to learn about the era--- bought
the furniture, draperys, and now on to the other items that will make it a good
conversation room .....
Old August 10th 03, 04:54 PM
Dr. Brat

Marie C wrote:

You may want to check out the book Needlework Masterpieces from
Winterthur, by Hollis Greer Minor. The bok covers decorative objects
from 1640 to 1860 United States Of America. Book has over 30
projects, charts, instructions. Really beautiful.

Actually, if you're close enough, or planning a vacation anyway, _go_ to
Winterthur. It's in Wilmington, De, and has a phenomenal collection of
early American decorative arts. Hagley, which is close by, has some
really cool stuff too. I grew up near there and didn't really
appreciate the treasures we had nearby, but as an adult I can tell you
that it's really something worth checking out.

Elizabeth (http://www.winterthur.org/about/coll...?sub=galleries)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old August 10th 03, 05:45 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Marie =- you are right on as usual. I bought that book first !!! Isn't
it a delight? You may want to check out the book Needlework Masterpieces
from
Winterthur, by Hollis Greer Minor. The bok covers decorative objects
from 1640 to 1860 United States Of America. Book has over 30
projects, charts, instructions. Really beautiful.
Marie C.

Old August 10th 03, 09:45 PM
Meredith Dill

And call ahead and make an appt. to look at the needlework archives -
they have loads of stuff that isn't out.

Meredith

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 12:27 PM
FA: Canvas Embroidery for Beginners by Sylvia Green 1970 HB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 08:22 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM