O.T. (VERY) debt question

Old August 9th 03, 05:28 AM
Liz Hampton

Default O.T. (VERY) debt question

Has anyone had any experience with an: "Offer to Give Secured Property
Back"? I found such a form in the back of a book that someone else had
reserved and think it might be exactly what a particular patron is looking
for. She is in danger of having a particular item repossessed and this form
makes it look like she can return the item before it gets to that point in
exchange for cancellation of the debt. NOT that we give legal advice in any
way!!! I just wondered if I should copy the form now for her to look at or
if I should just put her name on the list for when the current patron is
done with it. Thanks.

Working in a small branch library is much like being Lucy in the old Peanuts
cartoons. :-)) We do lots of listening - and then keep our eyes open for
books that might help different situations. :-)))
Liz from Humbug

Old August 9th 03, 01:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I did it . . . but it was 30 some odd years ago. I had bought a
top-of-the line sewing machine, my husband left me, a new baby on the
way - had to quit work. Life a mess. It was over a year old.

I took it back, explained. They wanted to work something out. I said
unless they could guarantee me a job that would include enough to pay
the contract . . . etc. etc. etc.

Never heard from them again.

Now, this was long before the days of credit reports and everybody in
the world knowing your private business. I don't know what a company
would do these days.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Dianne

Old August 10th 03, 08:51 AM
Fred

Most companies will work something out as long as the reasons for non
payment are truthful and reasonable. EXCEPT banks!!!

At one business bank I deal with I have a business credit card that is good
for six figures and I nearly always have a zero balance before statement
date. For some reason the last few months there was a small balance and I
ignored it. Friday I got a letter demanding my late payment or they were
going to take legal action? and report my tardiness to the credit agency
watch-dogs.

Monday I shall walk in and hand them my check for $0.03 which will pay off
my outrageous debt and tell them to put their credit card in a shady spot -
er - should that read where the sun don't shine.Grrrrrrr.

At my personal bank I have free checking priveleges so the check won't cost
me anything but I'm betting it will cost the business bank more than $0.03
to process the transaction and a h..... of a lot more in advertising and
perks to get me back as a customer.

At a very good shop I deal with from time to time I somehow ended up owing
them $0.10 on my account. They sent me three letters informing me of my
debt. After receiving the third letter I walked in and handed the owner a
dime and demanded a receipt (in fun). He wrote me a receipt as he uttered
plans on giving his accounts receivable people a pep talk. We had a good
laugh about it anyway and my credit is still good there.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Liz Hampton wrote:
[...]

---

Old August 10th 03, 02:22 PM
Alison

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:51:17 -0500, "Fred" wrote:

Most companies will work something out as long as the reasons for non
payment are truthful and reasonable. EXCEPT banks!!!

At one business bank I deal with I have a business credit card that is good
for six figures and I nearly always have a zero balance before statement
date. For some reason the last few months there was a small balance and I
ignored it. Friday I got a letter demanding my late payment or they were
going to take legal action? and report my tardiness to the credit agency
watch-dogs.

The bank where Viv has her mortgage has been sending "pay or we
foreclose" letters. Regarding what? Water bills for the building (8
condos.) One was $10, one was $45. She thinks that they'd like to
get rid of her low-interest (variable rate) loan. Can't be for
late/nonpayment cause that hasn't happened.

Alison
Old August 10th 03, 03:03 PM
Bonnie

Liz,

I don't know what state you are in, but here in Texas concerning real
property if a mortgagor is agreeable, a maker on a mortgage loan can execute
a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" deeding the property back to the lienholder.
I know this avoids the foreclosure procedure but I don't know what it does
to the person's credit history.

This form you are talking about may be something similar but may pertain to
personal property (appliances, furniture, automobiles, etc.).

Your patron may want to copy the form and take it to an attorney/legal aid
service and ask someone "in the know".

Bonnie

Old August 11th 03, 03:09 AM
Steve

Liz:
The best resource for answering customer's (or even your own)
questions, especially when they veer into the legal arena, is:
www.prepaidlegal.com/biz/stephenhand. Attorneys answer any question
for their members, there are tons of prepared and custom contracts
(great for patent and indemnification issues,) they write debt
collection letters, and on and on. I love it and have used it for
nearly two years. They even go to traffic court (and will next week,
unfortunately, for me.)
You may want to share this with your customer.
Thanks,
-- Steve

"Bonnie" wrote in message t...
[...]

Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Traditional Cross Stitch Method Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Needlework 4 July 31st 03 06:40 PM