Other newbie questions :)

Old June 9th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Other newbie questions :)

To paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've been makin' some plans for later on
this year :P and I have a few questions. First, some details on my
plans. (Oh, yeah, this is all crosstitch with maybe a few other
stitches thrown in.)

I have projects that I have designated as Christmas presents. Most are
regular, simple (i.e., no beads, bells or whistles) projects suitable
for framing (and I will frame them even though I will be nervous about
whether they will make it through the shipping/mailing process with
intact glass.) I plan on using Aida cloth and DMC floss for the most
part.

First question. Is it required to prewash floss before use? At least
for items that are meant to be framed with glass? I understand that
if I were to make a pillow or another item that has a higher chance
of getting dirty that prewashing will probably be recommended but
I'm not sure if the prewashing is warranted for framed/glassed in
projects.

Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits. I don't like working with them, I don't like the way
they bunch up and twist and, even though I think I work with
pretty short lengths, they still sometimes fray. I haven't found a
store here yet that carries the Kreinik line but would the thinner
braids be a suitable substitute for the metallic threads? Or (and
this would be better, for me at least, since I have already found
sources for these) are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

Third question. Right now, I have two scroll frames. The exact
dimensions, I forget, but the smaller one holds the fabric for
a project that fits an 8X10 frame just perfectly, no scrolling
required. The other is bigger and will hold the fabric for a
project that fits in an 11X14 frame but scrolling is required.
I have a little nest configured on my couch for when I'm doing
a project. It's a wraparound couch, so I have plenty of pillows
to support my body and even a couple of pillows to support my
left arm (the one I use to hold the frame.) While I probably
won't invest in any expensive free-standing frames until I find
out if this is one of my 'here today, gone in six months' hobbies,
is there any other type of frame that is recommended? I've seen
lap frames, I guess you would call them, advertised for 30-40
dollars but can't really see how they're 'lap frames' with
straight bars across the bottom. Seems they would hurt. :P

TIA
Tracey

Old June 9th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:
First question. Is it required to prewash floss before use? At least
for items that are meant to be framed with glass?

It is absolutely not necessary to prewash floss before it is used, as
long as you are using high-quality brands such as DMC or Anchor. Can't
speak for the lesser brands. I don't purchase kits, usually, and the
only other floss I have around is old Beldings, which didn't need
prewashing either.

A very few persons here at RCTN have had trouble with a couple of the
DMC threads running since the dyes were changed sometime back. If you
are going to wash your project after you have finished, you might want
to ask about here to see what people have to say about this. Even if
floss runs, rinsing numerous times usually solves the problem.

It will not be a problem for you under glass.

Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits . . . are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

I have not liked the DMC metallic flosses that are skeined. However, I
do love, very much, the Z-threads that are wound on spools. I've used
several shades of gold and silver and enjoyed them. They wash well, but
like all metallics, don't take many washes before they begin to fray.

Can't help you with the rest of your question, nor question 3. grin

Dianne
Old June 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

According to the owner at my LNS, if you are using the blending
filament alone, i.e., 2 strands of it without any other threads, then
yes, you can substitute a fine Kreinik braid. I only wish I had known
of it before starting on this MarBek angel for my daughter. Takes
longer to thread the needle with 2 strands of filament than it does to
stitch the section! If I wasn't more than halfway through the filament
part, I would have frogged and redone it in the braid. I don't use the
DMC metallics, so I can't help with that.

Carolyn

Old June 9th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

[...]

I can't say anything about lap frames, as I've thought the same as you
(plus, one must first HAVE a lap and I'm a bit too "fluffy"). I think
you have things under control as far as frames go. You might want to
check out Q-snaps for any smaller projects you might have or want to
do. They are much lighter in weight than any scrolls I've owned so far.
And if you get positioned just right with them, you can stitch
two-handed with them, as well. And thats about the neatest thing I've
learned to do, btw. I'm right handed, so my right hand stays under the
fabric and my left hand stays above. I can visually guide my "stupid"
left hand and the right hand just seems to "know" where it needs to go.
Plus, with good light, you can sorta see through the fabric to have a
fair idea where that right hand needs to be, anyway.

Btw, I had to chuckle at your Lynyrd Skynyrd quote! I'm terribly
excited about finally getting to see them in concert later on this
month. I know it's not quite the same, but it's still gonna be fun!

Keep stitching!
Tegan

Old June 9th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tegan wrote:

Btw, I had to chuckle at your Lynyrd Skynyrd quote! I'm terribly
excited about finally getting to see them in concert later on this
month. I know it's not quite the same, but it's still gonna be fun!

I was soooo bummed last year when I had already made plans to fly
to my parents house and would be there over the 4th of July weekend
and a couple of months before, LS committed to playing at a local
military base. I had to miss them.

Have you ever seen them in concert? A few years ago, I was lucky
enough to see The Who in a very small venue (once they block off
the 'bad' seats, it probably holds ~5000 people) and I'm not
ashamed to admit that I was teary-eyed through a big part of
the concert. I was just so amazed that, after, uhm, let's just
say more than a couple of decades :P of listening to their
music, I actually got to see them in person.

And thanks for the comments. I think I've got a good setup
myself since I can see the TV and catch up on my DVR list
and all of the series that I can't seem to stop buying in
DVD format. :P Any kind of free-standing frame would have
to be put elsewhere.

Tracey

Old June 9th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Tracey wrote:

First question. Is it required to prewash floss before use? At least
for items that are meant to be framed with glass?

It is absolutely not necessary to prewash floss before it is used, as
long as you are using high-quality brands such as DMC or Anchor. Can't
speak for the lesser brands. I don't purchase kits, usually, and the
only other floss I have around is old Beldings, which didn't need
prewashing either.

A very few persons here at RCTN have had trouble with a couple of the
DMC threads running since the dyes were changed sometime back. If you
are going to wash your project after you have finished, you might want
to ask about here to see what people have to say about this. Even if
floss runs, rinsing numerous times usually solves the problem.

It will not be a problem for you under glass.

Thank you. I didn't figure it would be too big of a problem. I
guess another aspect of it, though, is that the stuff I'm doing
now I'm not looking at as something that I expect or even want
to 'pass down' so I'm not particularly shooting for heirloom
quality stuff, ya know? I just want something purty.

Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits . . . are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

I have not liked the DMC metallic flosses that are skeined. However, I
do love, very much, the Z-threads that are wound on spools. I've used
several shades of gold and silver and enjoyed them. They wash well, but
like all metallics, don't take many washes before they begin to fray.

Can't help you with the rest of your question, nor question 3. grin

I'm guessing (don't know, of course) that the DMC metallic flosses
are probably similar to the packaged kit flosses. I'll check them
out next time I'm in a store.

Thanks!
Tracey

Old June 9th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Twinsmom wrote:
According to the owner at my LNS, if you are using the blending
filament alone, i.e., 2 strands of it without any other threads, then
yes, you can substitute a fine Kreinik braid. I only wish I had known
of it before starting on this MarBek angel for my daughter. Takes
longer to thread the needle with 2 strands of filament than it does to
stitch the section! If I wasn't more than halfway through the filament
part, I would have frogged and redone it in the braid. I don't use the
DMC metallics, so I can't help with that.

Sounds good to me. I'll be giving it a try.

Tracey

Old June 10th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

I will frame them even though I will be nervous about
whether they will make it through the shipping/mailing process with
intact glass.) I plan on using Aida cloth and DMC floss for the most
part.

TIA
Tracey

Tracey, the project will go thru just fine, if you will get some wide,
clear shipping tape, and tape every inch of the glass that is showing.
I have shipped from Colorado to Virginia that way many times, and they
always arrived intact. Frances

Old June 10th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

snip

[...]

I can certainly agree with your opinion of how most lap stands appear. I
felt the same a couple of years ago when I went looking for one to help
me stitch a huge x-stitch project. I searched a lot on line and finally
found one by American Dream Products (NAYY) that doesn't have something
you sit on (this was something I refused to involve myself with!) If you
go to http://www.adp-usa.com/products.htm#Lap%20Frames and scroll down
to the Tomorrow's Treasures Lap stand, you will see what I found. I
love it and use it for about half of my projects. It sits on either
side of me, (or if it's too wide for my chair, on the arms of the chair)
and is fairly light weight to move aside. I found mine on eBay and it
came with several scrolls. I, like Tegan, have learned to stitch
2-handed and it saves me a lot of time. One day I think I would
still like a free-standing floor stand, but not for a while...besides my
birdie would probably think it was a perch!

Addie
Old June 10th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

'Nez wrote:
Tracey wrote:

I will frame them even though I will be nervous about
whether they will make it through the shipping/mailing process with
intact glass.) I plan on using Aida cloth and DMC floss for the most
part.

TIA
Tracey

Tracey, the project will go thru just fine, if you will get some wide,
clear shipping tape, and tape every inch of the glass that is showing.
I have shipped from Colorado to Virginia that way many times, and they
always arrived intact. Frances

You're talking about taping it like for a hurricane except for taping
it all, not just an X? Directly on the glass? Isn't that a pain for
the recipient to clean?

Tracey