The Death of Ski Sweaters and Ganseys - Long

Old March 28th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default The Death of Ski Sweaters and Ganseys - Long

Yarnstandards.com is the end of ski sweaters and fisherman's ganseys. I am
not saying that the Standard Yarn Weight System is the cause of the end of
ski sweaters and fisherman's sweaters, any more than a bridge is the cause
of the end of a road, but when you get to the end of the road, there is the
bridge.

Nobody skis in sweaters any more, for one very good reason - Modern sweaters
are too loosely knit. A real ski sweater needs to be tightly knit and close
fitting. (Recently, I went downhill skiing, and was the only one on the
slopes wearing a sweater. There were many people in the lodge, the
restaurants, the shops, and the town wearing "ski sweaters," so I know "ski
sweaters" were around, but I was the only person actually skiing in a
sweater.)

Modern designers assume that their creations will be worn in modern heated
environments, and therefore should not be too warm. These days, skiers
wear their sweaters in the car, and in the lodge, and not schussing down the
slopes. Thus, modern ski sweaters are knit loosely and have a loose fit
that keeps them from being too warm.

Likewise, nobody wears fisherman's sweaters fishing any more! So, designs
that were traditionally knit tightly to be very warm are now knit loosely,
so they are not so warm. (Fine stitch patterns are now done large and look
crude.)

We have established a feedback cycle. Our knit goods are designed to be
cooler, so that they can be worn in warmer environments. Then, when
somebody wants real cold weather gear, they select a pile jacket rather than
the available knit goods. If people are not wearing knit goods in really
cold environments, then there is more tendency to design knit goods that are
not so warm -- that is: loosely knit and loosely fitting. Today we design
sweaters for folks that are going to the mall, rather than for folks that
are going to fish, or to ski or sailing , or to follow the hunt. We have
abandoned the sports wear market. We make imitation sports wear.

The needle recommendations in the yarn standards are to knit fabrics that
are loose, and not too warm. As long as we follow those recommendations,
our knitting will be porous to the drafts, and flutter in the breeze. And
worse, they will sag. And they will not be so durable, after all, the
standards assume that you want a "cool" fashion statement.

Save your man from frostbite. Knit him a ski sweater out of worsted weight
wool on #3 needles. Keep your boy warm by knitting him a gansey out of DK
weight on # 1 needles. (Then, send them off skiing and fishing. They need
the exercise!) And then, make yourself a cup of tea with water heated on a
fire fueled by a your print out of the Standard Yarn Weight System, because
the price of energy is going up and we are going to need warmer sweaters.

Aaron

Old March 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
. com...

(big snip of a wonderful post)
Save your man from frostbite. Knit him a ski sweater out of worsted weight
wool on #3 needles. Keep your boy warm by knitting him a gansey out of DK
weight on # 1 needles. (Then, send them off skiing and fishing. They

need
the exercise!) And then, make yourself a cup of tea with water heated on

fire fueled by a your print out of the Standard Yarn Weight System,

because
the price of energy is going up and we are going to need warmer sweaters.

Aaron

Loved your post.... years ago I had a wonderful wool ski sweater, and when
it fit me, I did wear it skiing during the spring. Skiing in Canada in
January absolutely calls for a warm jacket, and those wonderful hand warmer
thingies. (laugh)

Not that many years ago I knitted an Aran sweater for my DIL from a
cotton/acrylic blend. Before you puke, she absolutely could not wear wool.
It is tightly knit and she wears it spring and fall for walking her dog.
She loves the sweater and the washability. That sweater is the one of the
nicest items I've ever made, and I'm very proud of it. It's right up there
with my lace weight mohair shawl.(grin) Both of which can be seen in my
Yahoo album:
Aran sweater: http://tinyurl.com/m5gre
Mohair shawl: http://tinyurl.com/9gkv7

Shelagh

Old March 28th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:09:11 GMT, spewed forth :

Nobody skis in sweaters any more, for one very good reason - Modern sweaters
are too loosely knit.

I'm working on a modified gansey right now. I'm using traditional
5-ply yarn and knitting on 2mm needles at a gauge of 8spi. The going
is slow because knitting at that tension aggrevates the "fixed" thumb,
but knitting it I am. It won't be finished anytime soon and it'll be
overkill for my current climate, but I grew up with winter so I have a
fine appreciation for a good sweater.

The needle recommendations in the yarn standards are to knit fabrics that
are loose, and not too warm.

Yes, and in this age of instant gratification big yarn on big needles
makes for fast projects. Just about right for people with "adult ADD"
who subsist on fast food and get their news in "soundbites" rather
than sitting down with a newspaper.

Save your man from frostbite. Knit him a ski sweater out of worsted weight
wool on #3 needles. Keep your boy warm by knitting him a gansey out of DK
weight on # 1 needles. (Then, send them off skiing and fishing.

Do the wives (me!) and daughters (none of my own, but you take my
point) not need warm woolies when they excurse into the great wintery
outdoors? Probably not, its a known scientific fact that women have
more body fat than men. That's why all the crones in the old photos
are wearing only a few shawls while their menfolk are bundled up in
those gorgeous handknit ganseys. /tongue-in-cheek

They need
the exercise!)

Most of us do, at least here in the Obesity Capital of the World (aka,
the USA).

And then, make yourself a cup of tea with water heated on a
fire fueled by a your print out of the Standard Yarn Weight System,

I don't have a copy of that. Will they send me a truckload free? If
so I do have a paperlog roller left over from my days in the Great
White North when I relied exclusively on a woodburner for my household
heat.

because
the price of energy is going up and we are going to need warmer sweaters.

Amen, brother!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old March 28th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shelagh,

I just looked at your pictures and they are absolutely Beautifu! Your
work is inspiring.

Hesira

Old March 28th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

For real ganseys try long DPN with a knitting sheath to take strain off of
your thumb.

I do not understand the concept of instant gratification. These days people
knit for fun. If they need clothing, they go to the mall. Knitting tight
just means more stitches which means more fun!?

Many a sailor knit for himself to keep himself from freezing on the Finnish
Sea. Girls of any age are far better able than any man, to be able to knit
for themselves, anything that they need. The fine Irish shawls were status
pieces to demonstrate that they had time to knit for themselves. (And, if
you like Mrs. Tourist, I will knit one for you!) Their knit long underwear
is what kept them warm, but it is not shown in the photos.

Aaron

Old March 28th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shillelagh wrote:
wrote in message
. com...

(big snip of a wonderful post)
[...]

Both gorgeous, SHelagh. Thanks for sharing.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 29th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

About a dozen years ago, a local attorney won a sweater's worth of my
knitting skills at a charity auction. I made him a proper, four-color
Norwegian ski sweater out of Dale yarn. (He provided the yarn; I believe it
was over $100 worth.) Worsted weight, knitted on #5s, I think. Took me from
February through September to finish it. I wish I had taken a picture of it.
I'm sure it kept him warm on the slopes.

Old March 29th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
Shelagh,

I just looked at your pictures and they are absolutely Beautifu! Your
work is inspiring.

Hesira

(blush!) Thank you very much..... one thing to remember (giggle), those
two pictures show what I think are my two best knitting projects.

Shelagh