Fascinating cast-on question

Old July 5th 03, 08:00 PM
spampot

Default Fascinating cast-on question

well, OK, that was a bit of a teaser; I have a question about the
cast-on for my FiberTrends Lace Moebius (which my mother says was called
a fascinator in her day). The pattern calls for casting on 378 sts VERY
LOOSELY. OK, I can manage the VL part by using a larger needle tip (I'm
using my needle kit), but it also says "preferably using the long-tail
method." That's all very well, but how on earth could I possibly figure
out how long a tail I'll need for almost four hundred sts?? So I
started casting on with the plain twisted loop, and I can't keep the
ball of yarn untwisted so I'm going to start over. If I were using a
pull-out skein it'd be easy; I'd just knot the two ends and go from
there, but this was a hank that I wound into a ball. I'm thinking of
using the crochet cast-on, but what would you folks suggest? Any advice
much appreciated!

Old July 5th 03, 08:42 PM
SlinkyToy

Hm. Cast on 20 stitches, mark the beg/end of the cast on and measure the
length used? Figure from there how many inches (feet? yards? miles?) for
the tail...

Another option is to rewind your ball into a center-pull (easily done by
hand, just make a slipknot over your wrist and wind it LOOSELY). Then you
can tie the ends together and cast on...

Old July 5th 03, 08:48 PM
spampot

Aha! I knew you'd come to the rescue. I'm not sure I can face
rewinding that ball, but your first suggestion for estimating the
required total is such a good idea that I think I'll do it tonight while
we're watching TV. Thanks!

Old July 5th 03, 11:38 PM
SlinkyToy

Well, actually I guess you'd be figuring the total needed for the cast-on.
You *should* be able to determine the length used for the thumb loop and the
length for the stitch, however. Just be ready to sacrifice a couple of feet
of yarn so you can mark it properly.

Lots and lots of yarn, or the nasty fuzzy mohair-type that I don't like to
work with?

Michelle
who's got about 8" to go on the body of her Aran

. ..

Old July 6th 03, 06:46 AM
Allaya Diep

Looks like you already resolved this problem...but I'll pass on some info I
got from my LYS owner when I asked about this one day. She said that in
general, you can use double the length of yarn as what the finished product
will be...so for instance, if the finsihed product is 12" wide, you try
casting on with at least 24" of yarn. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it might
be something to go off of in the future. If anybody trys, let me know
if this is a good estimate.

Allaya

Old July 6th 03, 10:45 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

When you knit and need measure the thread to cast off , you are
advised to think that thread is THREE [3] times the length of the
stiches, it sems to me not impossible , but very clumsy to work like
this , if i undersatmd wel you knit it , Ria showed me how to knit the
moebious from the inside out , if it is a real moebious you now will
have ONLY ONE OUTER SIDE , so you you do not need this other
thread!!!!
I also advise you to KNIT your stiches ,,,
Ps do not knot ,,, knit 3-4 with end tail of one thread and starting
side of next thread. ...
mirjam
Old July 6th 03, 03:48 PM
spampot

I bet even Gwen heard that scream of frustration Down Under.

I GOT the 378 sts cast on. I carefully wound up and knotted the
leftover tail. Then I started the setup, which is weirder than anything
I've ever seen. You slip alternate sts onto a second circular needle,
making SURE you alternate. Well, I got this done, it took nearly half
an hour, and then started the pattern...and found I'd slipped up about a
dozen sts into the setup. Tried my best to fix it, then dropped a st,
so I ripped out the whole friggin' thing and am starting the cast-on ALL
OVER. GAAAAAHHH!!!

SlinkyToy wrote:
Better too much than too little - you can use the excess to fix that weird
join later

"spampot" wrote in message

Success! Yes, I have more than a foot of the tail left, but that's
fine. It's the alpaca fingering I picked up at the Md. Sheep & Wool
Fest. Now...to tackle that weird join.

SlinkyToy wrote:

Well, actually I guess you'd be figuring the total needed for the

cast-on.

You *should* be able to determine the length used for the thumb loop and

the

length for the stitch, however. Just be ready to sacrifice a couple of

feet

of yarn so you can mark it properly.

Lots and lots of yarn, or the nasty fuzzy mohair-type that I don't like

work with?

Michelle
who's got about 8" to go on the body of her Aran

om...

Old July 6th 03, 04:32 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Spampot,

I sure can't help you, I'm still chuckling over casting on 400 stitches, way to
many for me.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 6th 03, 04:34 PM
spampot

I'm chuckling, too, if you can call a bitter, hollow snort a chuckle.
But seriously, folks, I'm finding as I start over that it is WAY WAY
easier to just hold the two needles in one hand and cast on alternately
than it is to go through that rigmarole of casting on and then slipping
alternately for half an hour. We'll see how it goes this time.

Old July 6th 03, 10:06 PM
Els van Dam

In article , spampot wrote:

I bet even Gwen heard that scream of frustration Down Under.

I GOT the 378 sts cast on. I carefully wound up and knotted the
leftover tail. Then I started the setup, which is weirder than anything
I've ever seen. You slip alternate sts onto a second circular needle,
making SURE you alternate. Well, I got this done, it took nearly half
an hour, and then started the pattern...and found I'd slipped up about a
dozen sts into the setup. Tried my best to fix it, then dropped a st,
so I ripped out the whole friggin' thing and am starting the cast-on ALL
OVER. GAAAAAHHH!!!

I know that you are going to knit a lacy pattern, but is it possible to
start with the cast on I learned from a Spin Off magazine pattern. It
sounds lots less complicated than what you are trying to do. Maybe it
will not work for the lacy pattern, but if you do have Spin Off Fall 2000
at hand it is ion page 54. i found it very easy to get the mobius started
with their instructions, as long as you cast on loosly.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))