Things Not to Do With Knitting Needles

Old July 3rd 03, 02:19 AM
SlinkyToy

Default Things Not to Do With Knitting Needles

But, but, how will I knit socks and mittens and my gansey (for which I'm
spinning 20wpi 3-ply) ???

"Slick Hippy Chick" wrote in message
Take heed and pay attention to the knitting gods!
"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
. ..
Primary among that is shoving them thru a pony tail or bun for
"safekeeping". I had two of my treasured 2.5mm rosewoods in my head today
when I climbed into the truck. Both caught on the doorjam and before I
could whip my head back out they snapped

This is the third one out of the set in a week. Maybe the knitting gods

are
trying to tell me something about this particular size of needle...

Old July 3rd 03, 02:47 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
SlinkyToy wrote:
"Slick Hippy Chick" wrote
"SlinkyToy" wrote

This is the third one out of the set in a week. Maybe the knitting
gods are trying to tell me something about this particular size
of needle...

Take heed and pay attention to the knitting gods!

But, but, how will I knit socks and mittens and my gansey
(for which I'm spinning 20wpi 3-ply) ???

swirly clouds effect
The knitting gods are saying "be especially careful with the thin
needles". That's why our ancestors had special end protectors made;
when they were done knitting for the moment, the end protectors were put
on the ends of all the needles and everything was put away carefully.

Or, in my family, metal needles were used and any annoying door jambs had
to worry about being scratched. ;-)

=Tamar
Old July 3rd 03, 05:08 AM
SlinkyToy

Whew, I could see myself in a RED gansey, but the fleece I'm spinning is
just too yummy to overdye. I most likely will end up knitting my gansey on
size 1 (UK 14 maybe?) Phildar steel pins; I have three sets of four, and
I've made a knitting belt with a clewhook, which I'm already using to
support the Aran I'm working on -- the blessed thing is heavy! If I used
the rosewood DPNs I'd need bazillion!

My usual ritual is to stick a needle in my head (well, in my hair) when I
need to put the work down at the end of a needle to grab a drink of water,
or check the mail, or something in the house. As I always brush my hair and
pin it up before I leave the house I'm generally safe for not having any
needles in my head when I go out, as I find any strays when I pull out my
ponytail. I was in a rush today as I lost track of time and I was running
about 20 minutes late getting out the door to collect my son from summer
camp.

PS -- what's SWMBO? I thought I knew most of the acronmys

"AGRES" wrote in message
Appeasing the knitting goddess is just a matter following the right

rituals.
Just as a Jew must keep his head covered, a Knitter must wear a needle

case.
Just as a Moslem must pray 5 times a day, a Knitter must always put

un-used
needles back in their case. While the rules of ritual practice are

relaxed
for Moslems when they travel, the traveling Knitter must have a "clew."
This goddess of Knitting is called SWMBO. Fear her and keep the rituals!
: )

I am starting to do swatches for a gansey. I find my wooden needles are

just
not strong enough for the very tight stitches. Of course the wood that I

use
is not as hard as rosewood, but it is less brittle. So, I have ordered

some
steel needles. The pattern calls for eleven - 18 inch long, 2.5 mm double
pointed steel needles. I'm going to try circular needles first. For

yarn,
now I am leaning toward Creskeld 5 ply Guernsey in navy blue from
http://www.iriss.co.uk/British_Breeds_Guernsey_Yarn.htm. They also have a
Dale Aran yarn that looks interesting. Any body have any experience with
these?

Aaron

Aaron
"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
. ..
But, but, how will I knit socks and mittens and my gansey (for which I'm
spinning 20wpi 3-ply) ???

"Slick Hippy Chick" wrote in message
Take heed and pay attention to the knitting gods!
. ..

Old July 3rd 03, 05:20 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "SlinkyToy"
wrote:

Primary among that is shoving them thru a pony tail or bun for
"safekeeping". I had two of my treasured 2.5mm rosewoods in my head today
when I climbed into the truck. Both caught on the doorjam and before I
could whip my head back out they snapped

This is the third one out of the set in a week. Maybe the knitting gods are
trying to tell me something about this particular size of needle...

Yes....do not put them in your hair unless you are knitting your hair...LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old July 3rd 03, 06:31 PM
Ranee Mueller

In article , "SlinkyToy"
wrote:

Primary among that is shoving them thru a pony tail or bun for
"safekeeping". I had two of my treasured 2.5mm rosewoods in my head today
when I climbed into the truck. Both caught on the doorjam and before I
could whip my head back out they snapped

I do this all the time, though usually with cable needles, and I've
never had this problem. I think someone is upset with you.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

Please Visit Arabian Knits at
http://folks.harbornet.com/raneem/arabianknits.html

Saudi Chef at http://folks.harbornet.com/raneem/saudichef.html
Old July 3rd 03, 07:30 PM
AGRES

SWAMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

All the old Guernsey patterns that I see call for UK size 12 or 13 needles.
Knitted on UK size 14 needles, those patterns are going to be so subtle and
so refined. I can see it in my mind as being a beautiful textile, a
treasure, a museum piece. I expect to hear about movie stars calling and
asking if they can borrow it to wear to big formal events. Very Exciting.
We want pictures! We are not in a hurry, but we want pictures.

Aaron

. ..

"AGRES" wrote in message
[...]

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
. ..
But, but, how will I knit socks and mittens and my gansey (for which

I'm
spinning 20wpi 3-ply) ???

"Slick Hippy Chick" wrote in message
Take heed and pay attention to the knitting gods!
. ..

Old July 4th 03, 03:46 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Never scratch the inside of your plastered foot with them !!!!
do not cleanyou ears with them , And DO not unplug the clogged sink
with them.
Do not wave them around when talking over politics ,,,
mirjam

Old July 4th 03, 07:23 AM
Allaya Diep

Do not knit at a holiday party while sitting on the floor...STOMP!! (lost a
whole set of Brittany DPN's that way *sniff*)

Allaya

. ..

Old July 4th 03, 06:02 PM
Coggie

I find they are the best for scratching the inside of my plastered
foot with , not sure if I could handle being in this cast if it were
not for my needles . Though I do use my metal needles for this and not
my wooden ones .
Coggie

Old July 7th 03, 03:05 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Somebody i know , made shish kebab with her old knitting needles ,,,
not adviced !!!
mirjam

Knitting, macrame, basketry, crochet, plastic canvas booklets for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:38 AM
Knitting, macrame, basketry, crochet, plastic canvas booklets for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:38 AM
Needles DKiely33 Sewing 4 April 1st 04 02:39 PM
For Sale knitting macrame, cross stitch, general crafts lisa Marketplace 0 March 20th 04 06:31 AM
FA: Vogue Knitting WDay BHG Craft Fawcett etc WAYSMAGS Marketplace 0 December 7th 03 09:34 PM