Call for help...

Old January 25th 04, 01:24 AM
BEI Design

Default Call for help...

Is there a sewist in the Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. area (say 50 mile
radius), who already _owns_ an embroidery machine, and who would be
willing to do a small contract job for me? Someday I'm going to
invest in a machine, but right now is not the time, I can't budget the
expense and I _really_ can't face the learning curve.

What I have in mind is: Bride's monogram and wedding date (in white)
in a pretty script along the hem of the duchess satin wedding gown,
AND, several (three or five?) white-on-white 2" to 3" dragonfly
motifs on the satin skirt, to be re-embroidered later (by me and the
bride's sister) with crystal beads. All the work can be done _prior_
to construction of the gown, so the satin can be in large but separate
pieces, or I can provide the yardage uncut, but marked with locations
for the embroidery.

Anyone??? TIA,

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old January 25th 04, 03:31 AM
BEI Design

Sorry for the duplicate post! I received an error message on the
first try, and the post didn't show up, so after about 10 minutes I
tried again. Yuck!

:-(

Old January 26th 04, 02:58 AM
BEI Design

Beverly, it's nice to 'see' you here again, and here's an idea.

Cea, thanks! I finally finished the big remodeling project, now I'm
up to my eyeballs in plans for younger DD's wedding in July.

There is a machine sales in town which I pop into every now and
then, looking for parts. For years they have had the same
saleslady, and have given her free rein with the machines, with the
end result being that everything the woman owns is embellished to
the point of distraction. (Bet her undies have Mon-Tues-thru Fri
posies on them!) She's too good, if ya know what I mean.

snork

I'm thinking perhaps you could call sewing machine sales around
Portland to see if you can find her doppelganger with the time and
expertise to fill your order.

I had that thought, too. I did ask at one of the major sewing machine
centers, as I was drooling all over one of their embroidery machines,
but the salesperson I spoke with said they do not do any outside work.
:-( I'm headed over to the Mill End Store tomorrow, they have a big
cork board up, where people can put up business cards and flyers.
Maybe I'll find something there. There are also commercial business
which do embroidery, but I don't know if they'll do the setup for such
a small job.

If not, well, guess I'll _have_ to do the research and make the plunge
on a machine! Oh, darn. ;-} I'll use the FAQ posted here from time
to time.

Old January 26th 04, 02:20 PM
SewStorm

I did ask at one of the major sewing machine
centers, as I was drooling all over one of their embroidery machines,
but the salesperson I spoke with said they do not do any outside work.

Well, they lost an opportunity to promote their own customers! I'm certain
they've sold machines to people who do that type of work, and shame on them for
not knowing about them!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 26th 04, 06:47 PM
BEI Design

SewStorm wrote:

Well, they lost an opportunity to promote their own customers! I'm
certain they've sold machines to people who do that type of work,
and shame on them for not knowing about them!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

You're preaching to the choir, sister! ;-) Nor only were they not
offering any help to a potential future customer, but they were
rude into the bargain. When I _do_ get serious about buying an
embroidery machine, I might do my research there, but they won't
get the sale. And, I'll probably let them know about it.... :-þ