the best flannel?

Old May 18th 04, 03:19 AM
merrystitch

I used the Moda Marble flannel to back a baby quilt & I loved it.

Merrystitch

Old May 18th 04, 03:20 AM
Polly Esther

Default the best flannel?

When we were enjoying the vendors at a quilt show, I laid my hand on a
flannel quilt and was so surprised at the feel of it. It had a wonderful,
soft, comforting response. Apparently, flannel has come a long way in the
past few years. I've made several hundred, at least, receiving blankets from
flannel. They have a brief, hard life and the mamas have used them to
pieces. If, however, I were going to make a quilt from flannel (hoping it
would last a little longer) I would want the advantage of starting with the
best flannel. The choices are overwhelming. Have you found a line you love
or hate? Please share your adventures with me. Polly

Old May 18th 04, 03:46 AM
Polly Esther

What about after the new Daddy helped with the laundry and after baby did
all the things babies do to quilts? Polly

Old May 18th 04, 11:53 AM
merrystitch

Sorry, Polly, I can't answer that question. For one, I can't see daddy
helping with the laundry--not with 3 teen-age daughters as well. And I
don't think they have been using it much as it seemed to have warmed up
considerably after he was born on March 17. I used the Kelly green marble
to back it cause their name is Kelly & how much more Irish can you get than
to be Irish Catholic & born on St. Paddy's Day!!
But I washed it twice before giving to them, if that counts & it looked
great.
Merrystitch

hlink.net...

Old May 18th 04, 01:34 PM
Bonnie

Polly Esther wrote:
When we were enjoying the vendors at a quilt show, I laid my hand on a
flannel quilt and was so surprised at the feel of it. It had a wonderful,
soft, comforting response. Apparently, flannel has come a long way in the
past few years. I've made several hundred, at least, receiving blankets from
flannel. They have a brief, hard life and the mamas have used them to
pieces. If, however, I were going to make a quilt from flannel (hoping it
would last a little longer) I would want the advantage of starting with the
best flannel. The choices are overwhelming. Have you found a line you love
or hate? Please share your adventures with me. Polly

I have found that price doesn't always guarantee that soft
feel. Even within the same brand it differs, I can't buy
flannel without touching it ;-). The thickness varies
greatly also, so it's best to fondle the fabric. The
finished quilts are a joy in which to snuggle!

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old May 18th 04, 04:15 PM
Polly Esther

Ummm, that's what I was afraid of. I won't be able to do the touching before
buying and was hoping that some fabric manufacturer had an excellent record
with flannel. Polly

"Bonnie" wrote

Old May 18th 04, 05:20 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article k.net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

When we were enjoying the vendors at a quilt show, I laid my hand on a
flannel quilt and was so surprised at the feel of it. It had a wonderful,
soft, comforting response. Apparently, flannel has come a long way in the
past few years. I've made several hundred, at least, receiving blankets from
flannel. They have a brief, hard life and the mamas have used them to
pieces. If, however, I were going to make a quilt from flannel (hoping it
would last a little longer) I would want the advantage of starting with the
best flannel. The choices are overwhelming. Have you found a line you love
or hate? Please share your adventures with me. Polly

I also make a ton of receiving blankets from flannel. I really notice
the difference in flannel from the quilt shops v. Joanns (Please, no
flames, just my observation...I'm not telling anyone to shop anywhere!)
I really like the ones made by Benartex, Moda and P&B. Also, I pre-wash
my flannels before cutting and sewing with them and I notice that they
are even thicker and fluffier after washing - fluffs up all those
brushed fibers. So, something that feels good on the bolt feels even
better after washing once.

marcella
Old May 18th 04, 05:55 PM
Bonnie

Hi Jan,
I've noticed that even the flannel from my favorite LQS has
varied softness and thickness, so that doesn't help. I know
it's a better quality fabric but I still have to rely on touch.
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old May 18th 04, 06:11 PM
Roberta Zollner

This may not be helpful, but I have used flannel sheets from Lands End as
backing, and the trimmings have ended up in scrappy quilts. Lovely quality
and clearly built to last. One expects a bit more from sheets. Not as wide a
color/design selection as yardage though.
Roberta in D