Catalog recyclers beware!

Old September 26th 03, 05:06 AM
Abrasha

Default Catalog recyclers beware!

Judy Shaw wrote:

This is something that all businesses should take note. I hope it doesn't
happen to anyone else.

This past Friday, I received a call from one of our suppliers as they needed
a credit card number to process an order placed that day. Since I tend to
make one large annual order with them and the time was nearly there, the
order did not throw any red flags up. Fortunately, their computer routinely
drops all credit card numbers after 6 months. The lady processing the order
at that company was quite flustered when it was determined that I had not
placed the order, there was no one here with the name given at the time of
order and - it was to be shipped to a different address altho still similar.

Just 2 weeks ago, I was updating my catalog collection and disposing of the
older catalogs into the (mandatory) recycling bin and yes, their's was one I
had tossed since I had a more current one. My warning to you is to watch
the labels on the cover. Frequently those labels will have your customer
number on them which will make it easier for fraud to occur. Remove them
prior to disposal!

And now, since I have my credit card numbers on file with several companies
which did make it easier for me, I have the unpleasant task of having to
have the current credit card numbers closed and all new numbers issued since
I don't know who else may have received an order from my unknown "silent
partner".

Judy Shaw
Jasco Minerals
North River, NY

Why am I not surprised that so many Americans are victims of consumer fraud?
Why do Americans have so many credit cards? Why would anyone need more than one
credit card? Why do people spend money they don't have? And then bitch against
the government when it does?

Moral of the story; if you have to have a credit card, have just one, and pay it
off every month in full. Credit card debt is the dumbest debt one can have, and
having more than a few will eventually to disaster of one form or another.

I love preaching from a soap box.

Oh, BTW, I do have a credit card, and I pay it off in full every month.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 27th 03, 02:12 AM
Judy Shaw

Abrasha, I did not complain about credit card debt nor for the fact that I
have 2 main cards that I use. I was trying to warn people about what could
happen to them, like it did to our store.

Judy

Old October 1st 03, 07:39 AM
Kaytee

In article , Abrasha
writes:

I love preaching from a soap box.

Some of us, at least, like your preachin'....

Oh, BTW, I do have a credit card, and I pay it off in full every month.

Same here. Actually, two-- one's for Cost Co only, though.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old October 4th 03, 08:37 PM
Paul

Why am I not surprised that so many
Americans are victims of consumer fraud?

How many Americans are victims of consumer fraud? Is it more than
other nationalities? Was there a factual basis for your surprise --
or did you make up a statistic and then surprise yourself?

Why do Americans have so many credit cards?

How many credit cards do Americans have?

Why would anyone need more than one credit card?

Why do you need one? Is one credit card somehow magically better than
three?

Why do people spend money they don't have? And
then bitch against the government when it does?

Who is spending money they don't have? What does personal finance
have to do with national policy -- other than in an over-simplified
attempt at cleverness?

Moral of the story; if you have to have a credit card,
have just one, and pay it off every month in full. Credit
card debt is the dumbest debt one can have, and having more
than a few will eventually to disaster of one form or another.

I can think of lots of things dumber than credit card debt.

Judy - thanks for sharing your experience.

- Paul
Old October 4th 03, 10:00 PM
Abrasha

Paul wrote:

Why am I not surprised that so many
Americans are victims of consumer fraud?

How many Americans are victims of consumer fraud?

I suggest you do a google on "victim of consumer fraud" and find out for
yourself.

Is it more than
other nationalities?

Yes.

Was there a factual basis for your surprise --
or did you make up a statistic and then surprise yourself?

Uhm, my dear Paul, is said "NOT surprised". You even quoted me, see above. And
where did I mention "statistic". What are you talking about?

Why do Americans have so many credit cards?

How many credit cards do Americans have?

Well, here are some facts from a variety of sources:

It is estimated that each American possesses an average of six (6) credit card
accounts. (http://www.lectlaw.com/files/ban15.htm, and
http://www.databasenation.com/home.htm

The typical American credit card holder carries nine credit cards and owes over
$2,000.
(http://www.wackyuses.com/wf_mastercard.html)

Why would anyone need more than one credit card?

Why do you need one?

The fact that you ask this question means, that you are either ignorant or are
looking to get into a fight for some reason. I'll answer you anyway.

I do a fair amount of traveling for business and pleasure. Have you ever tried
to rent a car without a credit card or get a hotel room wihout one. Maybe not.
Try it. Also, I often spend large amounts of money, which I either do not want
to carry around in cash or p[refer to have sitting around in a interest bearing
bank account as long as I do not spend it. I also often buy goods from
suppliers in various parts of the country in which case purchases are always
expedited when using a credit card. I also buy goods online.

Is one credit card somehow magically better than
three?

Yes, and magic has nothing to do with it. Common sense does.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 7th 03, 04:46 AM
Jim Redden

Ahhhhhh soap boxes and credit cards.

Well I have to open my mouth and get my $.02 worth in, and probably ****
someone off ( Oh Well! )

As for the number of credit cards a person owns, alot has to do with 2 main
items, status and a factor of security. Like this, I have alot of cards, I
have very good credit, my life is good. I have way to many cards, between
me and the wife we have over 70 cards, how many do we owe on 4.
2 of the cards are store cards ( Sams Club ) for my 2 girls in college and
buying bulk, and another store card where we shop all the time, and last but
not least a card each we use fairly wisely ( including my purchases for my
business ).

So now for the **** off factor, in todays world things are happeneing,
companys are giving up that wram fuzzy feeling that the workers have had for
years, and moving to 3rd world countrys, WHY so thay can pay peanuts for the
labor to make what ever they do, and guess what, they still sell her for the
same high price. Those who are losing there jobs are suddenly with out work
( OR ) now stuck in a very crappy job now trying to keep up with bills that
were easy to pay at one time. the end result, car repairs, doctors visits,
home repairs, major apps suddenly having to be replaced ect. then the only
way to take care of it is cha ching, use the card!!! I know I had to do it
myself, and still doing it at the moment! I'm not going to dinner,going on
vacations, having parties, buying new stuff for the house cuz I think we
should have it, but because we REALLY HAVE TO GET IT!
So now my last comment is to say, your one card theroy SUCKS, your clueless
as to what happens in alot of cases and you seem to think everyone is
carefree and rich, myabe you should hope and pray that nothing ever happens
job wise or health wise and you find yourself in the one credit card
situation whit it maxed out and your wondering where your meds,food and rent
are coming from.

Oh and so you can put it in a doller and cents aspect, I am now in a $350 a
week job hanging on to everything having gotten downsized from a job making
$70K a year.

Jim Redden

Old October 7th 03, 03:27 PM
Mark

Don't worry about Abrasive, He is a super-duper EURO trained goldsmythe, (
just look back on his posts, If you were trained here or shudder self taught
you should not even comment ) and his helpful comments about Gold Working
are without reproach. That said, he also has a very skewed world view about
Americans and America.
I have my own little spot in the jewelry world where I make enough to pay
the bills , put a bit back for retirement, and I could care less about
"keeping up with the Jones-Smiths" etc.
*************Soap-Box mode off *****************
Just for the record my car is paid off, I have 7 cards , ( for the same
reason noted by Jim ) owe on one one 'cuz I just went on a road trip, and I
have AAA credit and I can order just about anything I need from on my open
accounts at Rio, Stuller, Stebgo etc.....
Mark
PS Delta is ready when you are .......

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Paul wrote:

[...]

Freeware Web Catalog Builder, Multimedia CD Catalog maker for business as well personal album [email protected] Doll Houses 0 January 21st 05 07:25 PM
Freeware Web Catalog Builder, Multimedia CD Catalog maker for business as well personal album [email protected] Beads 0 January 21st 05 07:22 PM
[AD] Finally finished the BLUFF online catalog! [email protected] Beads 11 December 6th 03 05:55 AM
FAO Schwarz toy catalog marie Beads 1 November 13th 03 05:36 PM
New FMG catalog Helen C Beads 0 October 16th 03 06:32 PM