Increasing the size of a pattern (or customizing)

Old July 6th 03, 07:28 AM
Laurie

Default Increasing the size of a pattern (or customizing)

I need to increase the size of a Rowan coat length cardigan pattern I
want to do. Their XL size is 102cm and I need 132cm. Is there an
easy way to do this?

I was just trying to figure out the "pattern of the pattern" to figure
out what my instructions would be. For example, there is 5cm
difference between their sizes (L is 97cm, XL is 102cm) so the size I
need is 6 sizes bigger. I'm increasing pattern instructions by 6
increments.

The cast on number increases in 2 st increments so if the other sizes
are 46(48: 50: 52: 54)sts I should cast on 66. Cast on for the left
front is 24(25: 26: 27: 28) so I cast on 34.

What I don't understand are the instructions that don't "make sense"
like "Next row (RS) cast off 4(4: 4: 4: 5)sts, K until there are 6(7:
8: 8: 7) sts on right needle and turn."

I understand the cast off number (I would cast off 6?) but the number
of sts on the right needle confuses me. How can I figure out my
number?

So am I doing something goofy? Would I be better off just doubling
the XS numbers (which would give me 162cm, a little too big).

Thanks gang,

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old July 7th 03, 01:32 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Laurie wrote:
[...]

Just a guess: I think the number of stitches on the right needle changes
according to how many repeats of the pattern are involved (I assume there
is a pattern). Or it could be that the number of stitches relates to how
sharp a curve is wanted.

So am I doing something goofy? Would I be better off just doubling
the XS numbers (which would give me 162cm, a little too big).

Just doubling the numbers would probably change the proportions of the
cardigan in odd ways.

The best way is to take the gauge (you know, sts per inch/cm) and find out
how many stitches you need to go around the size you want. Then take a
whole lot of very precise measurements (from a piece of clothing that fits
the way you want this one to fit) and figure how many stitches you need in
those locations, and fudge the numbers in between to make the curve you
need. (Knitter's graph paper can help a lot here, and I've seen free
programs to print it out on the web, though I forget where.) Once you
have the picture on knitter's graph paper, you can count to find out how
many stitches to bind off or leave untouched in various places.

=Tamar
Old July 7th 03, 06:24 PM
Laurie

The best way is to take the gauge (you know, sts per inch/cm) and find
out
how many stitches you need to go around the size you want. Then take a
whole lot of very precise measurements (from a piece of clothing that fits
the way you want this one to fit) and figure how many stitches you need in
those locations, and fudge the numbers in between to make the curve you
need.

I was thinking about making a paper pattern so that I could physically
compare the size I have and need. Fortunately my crochet gauge
matches the knit gauge (8.5 sts = 10cm).

But I'm feeling discouraged. It is a gorgeous pattern and I want to
use kind of expensive yarn so maybe I'll find a knitting class and
just suck it up and knit it.

Thanks for the help tho! It is all good learning stuff.

Laurie
Washougal, WA