London

Old January 4th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default London

Well, any help would be appreciated on things not to miss! Any sewing/
embroidery stores there?

Hugs,
Pat
www.gransworkroom.com
Old January 4th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

A few years ago we found a lovely needlwork shop very near Kensington
Palace. I don't remember the name, unfortunately. It was in a
smallish shopping area between the main street and the palace. The
shopping area itself was in a ring around a small brick or stone
courtyard. Very nice! I imagine that the personnel at the palace
could direct you. (And Kensington Palace and Kensington Gardens are
well-worth seeing!)
Old January 4th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Sorry Pat. I would help if I could, but I really don't know London at
all.
..
In message
,
" writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 4th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FiederEls in NL.

I like Covent Garden a lot.. the market there is great ..

http://www.coventgardenmarket.co.uk/...index_main.htm

This link will give you an idea about Covent Garden.. without the sounds and
smells though .. for that you really have to be there and if you are lucky
the sun will even shine and make your day complete.. i love it!

Els.

Old January 4th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Well, any help would be appreciated on things not to miss!
Any sewing/embroidery stores there?

Try the Asian shops around Brick Lane (well, don't bother if you're
posting from India, but they'll have stuff you won't see anywhere
else outside the subcontinent).

You might try Brixton for African fabrics but I haven't been there
for many years, not sure what it's like now.

We're just back from Istanbul which completely knocks the socks off
London for anything sewing-related. Like, whole streets devoted to
nothing but shops selling beads in bulk.

Old January 5th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

Beads! Beads! Did someone mention beads.
We wanted to go to Istanbul when we went to Bulgaria but at the time of
year there were no trips going from the hotel.

Perhaps it was as well because DH would never have been able to get me
away from the beads. Not to think of paying for excess luggage on the
way home. LOL
Just finished another beaded bottle but not taken any pictures yet
Shirley

In message , Jack
Campin - bogus address writes

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old January 5th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

no such thing as excess luggage.
ya just wear it all home.
btdt and saved what would have been the cost of a full fare ticket by the time
they weighed all the stuff i wore/carried on,
j.

"Shirley Shone" wrote...

Old January 5th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

All I know is that my friend Hanne (of RCTQ) lives in London and she
considers a shop in Newport News, Virginia as her LQS! She is visiting in
the area and just yesterday we had fun at the LQS, then had lunch. That's
when she made the comment that Nancy's is her LQS!
When I travel far, either here or abroad, I tend to want to visit the major
museums, cathedrals, and so on. Time and money is limited so I go to those
once in a life time places.
Grins,
PAT in Virginia

Old January 6th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Yes, I agree - London does not 'do' quilts or embroidery, and fabric
here is exactly the same as the US but twice the price. Quilt shops - if
you can find them - tend to be in small towns away from London, where
the rents are lower.

I would get a good guide book and do the recognised sights, and perhaps
include a museum like the Victoria and Albert. It would be a shame to
miss the once in a lifetime places because you were looking for quilt
shops like the US ones.

A trip on a river boat would be fun, or a ride on the London Eye (giant
wheel) but you have to book in advance for the Eye I think.

The Covent Garden suggestion is an interesting one too - I've never been
though.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 6th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Well, since Pat in VA spilled the beans on me, I had better chime
in :-)

I live in London, and would say that for regular quilting store, it is
not worth the effort for someone normally in the US to seek them out.
However, there are lots of Indian fabric stores (as someone else said)
and if you don't mind expensive prices too much, I would suggest going
by the the fabric/embroidery/etc part of Liberty (on Regent Street,
not far from Hamley's - major toy store). Liberty does have a large
selection of knitting and embroidery stuff, including most of Kaffe
Fassett/Rowan lines. Don't so much think of it at quilting fabric
store, but if you like embroidery, you might at least like to browse
there. John Lewis (department store) on Oxford Street has a good
selection of furnishing/curtain fabrics, and also (for here) decent
knitting etc supplies (not much quilting stuff though!).

I also would recommend the Victoria and Albert, they usually have
something on textiles on, but it could be 60'ies fashion :-)

For old world stuff, see the Tower of London and also the British
Museum (lots of stuff "brought home" from all over the world). In the
last few years, several of the big museums (natural history, science
etc) have become free, so that's a plus.

If you have time (and haven't travelled lots in Italy already!), you
might consider a day trip to Bath (can be done by train, don't need to
plan ahead and book with a coach company). They have (I believe) the
best preserved roman baths outside of Italy. Something to see, im my
opinion.

Hanne (normally in London)

OT LONDON HELP If I can Cher Yarn 11 July 9th 05 11:27 AM
NWS in London Sorceress Needlework 5 September 17th 03 02:32 PM
NWS in London Sorceress Yarn 2 September 16th 03 09:46 PM