OT - US/UK video format

Old October 9th 04, 12:13 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - US/UK video format

It's amazing what you find when you're packing to move.
I have found a video of a music group that my brother really likes -
Big Country. Well my brother lives in Oregon, and I bought this video
in the UK. The questions a 1) What is the likelihood that he can
actually watch the video, as is, on his US video machine? 2) If it has
to be reformatted, how do you do this, how much does it cost, and
would I have to do it in the UK or is iti possible in the US? I do
remember that when I moved to Cambridge, there were shops there that
would reformat videos because there were American air bases in the
area and they were used to this sort of request. I'm not sure that
anyone in Junction City, Oregon, is aware that there are different
video formats out there, if you know what I mean.....
Any ideas?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 9th 04, 12:44 PM
Maine-iac Rose

We use to have the beta format of video, but don't think that those lasted.
We do have the VCR or Video Cassette Recorder format still. But the country
is little by little changing over to CD's for music, but for a video, that
can even go onto a DVD (digital video display), but he will need the DVD
player to watch it. If he only has the VCR, that would be the choice.
You didn't tell us what format video you had. Hope this helps.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me
http://community.webshots.com/user/maineiacrose

Old October 9th 04, 01:49 PM
Louise

Assuming it's in PAL format, I'm pretty sure your brother won't be able to
watch it on his machine. I've never checked into pricing, but there are
companies over here who do the conversion to NTSC. I just looked in the
Yellow Pages under Video, Film, and DVD Production, and found two or three.
Don't know about Junction City, though! And I don't know how copyright might
affect the issue -- if it's a professional, copyrighted video, they may be
prohibited from converting it

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old October 9th 04, 06:44 PM
Debra

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:13:53 +0100, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

It's amazing what you find when you're packing to move.
I have found a video of a music group that my brother really likes -
Big Country. Well my brother lives in Oregon, and I bought this video
in the UK. The questions a 1) What is the likelihood that he can
actually watch the video, as is, on his US video machine? 2) If it has
to be reformatted, how do you do this, how much does it cost, and
would I have to do it in the UK or is iti possible in the US? I do
remember that when I moved to Cambridge, there were shops there that
would reformat videos because there were American air bases in the
area and they were used to this sort of request. I'm not sure that
anyone in Junction City, Oregon, is aware that there are different
video formats out there, if you know what I mean.....
Any ideas?

-- Jo in Scotland

Many, although not all, DVD players over here can play the UK DVDs, as
well as DVDs from other regions, you will have to check with your
brother to find out if his plays one or more regions format. A
video/VCR tape is another story totally because US players and US TVs
won't work with a PAL tape. I've known for a long time that we can't
use PAL in our tape players, and over here there is no way to
re-format a PAL video tape to be able to view it on our machines.
Since the multi-regional DVD players became available to us we can now
buy British made shows to watch. I am so glad of that.
Debra in VA
Old October 9th 04, 06:55 PM
Joanna

I would think you would be able to find someone to transfer the format
for relatively cheap. I've lived on both sides of Canada and there are
places around in the cities that do this stuff all the time. Not sure of
the exact price. But I would think worst case scenario if he's not close
to a big city you would just send it via mail. If it's something he
really likes it would be worth it. The euro format is called NT$
something. Our format is VHS. Or like someone else mentioned if he has a
DVD player get it transfered to that. That would be easier to find
someone ask at the local computer stores for that.
Joanna

Johanna Gibson wrote:

[...]

Remove Quilt to reply