OTOT water problem

Old October 10th 04, 01:40 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Default OTOT water problem

I'm bringing my problem to the group because I hope someone somewhere has
experienced a similar problem and may have an answer. And I trust you folks
to give me straight answers.

Here is part of an email I sent to Tucson Water at five o'clock this morning
(it's way to early to expect an answer from them, and if they are like most
City offices, there won't be one until some time during the week):

This morning when I flushed my toilet, the incoming water was not clean.
The water was a dirty gray, and contained an oily substance that floated on
top the water in the bowl. The oily substance appeared to coalesce and
finally formed sludgy clots of dark gray. Household cleaners had no effect
on it--Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner could not remove it, nor could Formula 409
household cleaner, and the degreaser that I use on greasy pans had no effect
on this sludge.

Subsequent flushes appear to consist of clean water. But I'm afraid to
look into the toilet tank.

One of my questions is: What solvent can I use to get rid of this sludge?

More importantly, how much of this sludge is in our water? What is this
sludge? It is not a one-time occurrence, my mother (who also lives in this
court) had the same experience a few months ago.

I am experiencing a little anxiety. My cat and I drink tap water, though I
have a Brita on-the-faucet filter that removes most of the chlorine and
such. When I washed dishes last night, and when I ran water to make coffee
this morning, there was no sign of problems in the water from the kitchen
faucet. This "stuff" looks like waste oil from an auto shop, or maybe a
dark gray oil-based paint; and every detergent/solvent that I have tried has
no effect whatever on the blobs clinging to the waterline of my toilet bowl.
I gingerly used a paper towel saturated with cleaner and rubbed at the
blobs, but the stuff just smears around. I am stumped! At 60 years of age
I thought I had the knowledge to clean up almost any mess that could happen,
but this one beats me.

Begging for advice.
--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old October 10th 04, 01:57 PM
KJ

Yuck! Keep the paper towels you tried to clean with. Maybe they can
analyze what's on them so they can track down the culprit! I think it might
be worth a phone call when the offices open on Monday. Email is easily
deleted. Get the name of a supervisor if you aren't satisfied and the city
councilor for your area. This could be serious stuff. AT the least it
could be damaging your pipes, hot water heater etc. At the worst....never
mind.

Old October 10th 04, 03:09 PM
Taria

There should be an emergency number for such off hour problems.
Check your bill or the phone book. Fire dept. if you can't find help
anywhere else should be able to get the water dept. to you right away.
Let us know what the finding are.
Taria

Old October 10th 04, 03:25 PM
Polly Esther

In the meanwhile, probably you and kitty should not be drinking the water,
try beer or jugs of water or something else. This would include using the
water to make coffee or boil rice, etc. Polly

Old October 10th 04, 04:12 PM
Roberta Zollner

Since you and your mother live in the same court, I would suspect a problem
with your own plumbing. Not sure what! Never heard of anything like that
coming out!
Roberta in D

Old October 10th 04, 05:33 PM
nana2b

If none of the household cleaners could get rid of it, it sounds like you
need a solvent like turpentine to dissolve it. A real mystery!

Linda

Old October 11th 04, 12:03 AM
Elizabeth

It sounds to me like the rubber flapper in your toilet tank is decomposing;
it's easy to replace on your own.

Old October 11th 04, 03:21 AM
Polly Esther

Way to go, Elizabeth. A great answer. 500 points. Atta girl. Makes sense to
me. I'm told that lots of those great things that you are directed to drop
into the tank are just heaven for causing plumber's bills. Polly

Old October 11th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

If this were well water, I'd suggest a mixture of iron and manganese
bacteria making the sludge and the oily look. They're nonpathogenic
bacteria (don't cause disease) but a real nuisance. Again, if this were my
well, I'd say it was time to shock chlorinate it.

I'll be interested in what you find out.

Kay
Old October 11th 04, 04:28 AM
Joanna

I would have serious concerns about consuming any of the water for
yourself or your cat. What most cities would do is tell you to collect
some of the bad water in a clean glass jar and take it down for testing.
Although if I had the money I would pay an independent lab to test it
and tell me what's in it, without telling them where the water came
from. It could be from the city pipes or it could be from the house
pipes. Even with someone in the same court experiencing the same thing
I'm sure the houses there were built around the same time. Till I know I
wouldn't consume the water and wouldn't let my cat either. Even though
you stated it only seems to occur in your toilet and not all the time.
That's my two cents
Joanna

Carolyn McCarty wrote:
[...]

Remove Quilt to reply

OT - Story: Beverages I have Known Kathy N-V Beads 6 January 4th 05 04:33 PM
Janome problem joysjane Quilting 8 September 20th 04 07:30 AM
OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
If you could, would you? Kaytee Beads 74 November 7th 03 04:59 AM
Rainwater or distilled water \Mad\ General Crafting 2 September 10th 03 02:02 PM