update on Sunshine

Old December 8th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Default update on Sunshine

What a relief to know your other babies are safe. Congrats on the new
addition!!!

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"IMS" wrote in message
Today we got a call from the avian pathologist at the Cornell Vet
School, and were VERY relieved to hear that it wasn't anything we did
(or fed), or that Sunshine got into, and that there is no sign of
infection and what she had isn't contagious.

Short story without going into too much detail, they found a stomach
ulcer which over time had perforated the stomach wall. It isn't
something they would even look for had we taken her in earlier, as it's
very unusual for a parrot to have this. They are telling us they think
it was just a natural defect in that part of her stomach (this happens
to people), and combined with Sunshine's age (27), just got worse over
time. They assured us we had taken very good care of her over the years,
and that was an important thing for us to hear.

We were also told that it's an unusual enough condition that the Bronx
Zoo is asking Cornell for more information about it. Perhaps our dear
Sunshine will 'live on' in an avian journal, and educate up-and-coming
avian vets. That would be a very fitting memorial to our cherished pet.

So, we're breathing a huge sigh of relief that our other three feathered
babies are OK and not at risk, and that the newest member of the flock
(due in tomorrow) is not in danger.

-Irene

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West