Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

Old September 22nd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

It has nothing to do with September , we have a lunar year that is
adjusted to the Solar year, every several years , we go by the Moon ,
not the Sun, Every 19 years the Exact same Hebrew date will meet the
Excact same General date.
mirjam

Cheryl Isaak ,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with
On 9/22/06 9:33 AM, in article
Pine.PCW.3.96.1060922062918.5847F-100000@chayon-3220fd43, "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

To all of you who celebrate our New year , and To every other Person who
also can always use some good wishes

Shana Tova =Happy new Jewish Year 5767

mirjam

Haifa the Beautiful City of Israel.

www.fibersiv.israel.net

And the same to you - Shana Tova!

Cheryl

I thought it was September 23 ???

Old September 22nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Brenda Lewis wrote:

Karen C - California wrote:

I have regularly had people beg for my brownie recipe and refuse to
believe that it's the 99c Safeway house brand mix. They're right, it
*is* moister than when they make it, because I add more water than the
box says -- I have the experience to know that I can do that, and to
know how much is too much. An extra quarter-cup is one thing, an
extra gallon is quite another.

Ah, but compensating for the extra gallon can lead to something even
better than planned. My cousin and I accidentally added twice as much
milk as called for to a no-bake cheesecake mix. We compensated by
adding instant lemon pudding and ended up with something much better
than the original.

True. You can doctor most cake mixes and get something much better than
the original.

But, as I said before, doctor within reason. You're not going to get
cake if you add way too much liquid without adding more dry stuff to
soak it up. OTOH, you can put in two bags of choc chips and a pound of
walnuts without ruining your brownies, because that's not altering the
basic proportion of wet to dry. (Yes, chips and nuts are "dry", but
they don't soak up moisture, so they're a different kind of dry than flour.)

I make German Christmas Bread (recipe previously shared here ... google
"Stollen"), and every year Dad complains that I put in too much candied
fruit. I don't like bread. I do like candied fruit. Hence, I put in
as much fruit as I can, having just enough bread to hold it together.
My experience in making this stuff for years and years is how I know I
can "cheat", and how much fruit I can put in without getting so out of
proportion that I have one bread crumb in a pound of fruit, for a loaf
that falls apart. (I'm contemplating this year making half the batch
"the right way" for Dad, and the other half with extra fruit for me.)

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 9/20/06 -- baby bib

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old September 22nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tracey

Karen C - California wrote:
Lucille wrote:
The end

result was affected by the humidity, the temperature and the general
weather conditions and the proportions had to be changed daily. That
was why he despised packaged rye bread and said they knew only the
exact proportion in their written recipe and it simply didn't work. I
guess you could call him a kosher breadbaker snob.

I heard the same thing from the professional bakers in my family, which
is why I was trained that recipes are only a guide, and you have to know
whether the weather required adding more or less of something.

There was one thing that my grandfather flat-out refused to make on a
rainy day because it just wouldn't come out right. I can't remember
what it was, but since I live in ever-sunny California, I don't NEED to
remember.

Divinity. I know that isn't baking but trying to make divinity on
humid days is an exercise in frustration.

Tracey

Old September 22nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 9/22/06 4:30 PM, "Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

It has nothing to do with September , we have a lunar year that is
adjusted to the Solar year, every several years , we go by the Moon ,
not the Sun, Every 19 years the Exact same Hebrew date will meet the
Excact same General date.
mirjam

Mirjam - I think the poster was asking with respect to the common use
calendar date - not everyone keeps a Hebrew calendar or a duel calendar on
hand. So, when th someone asked about Sept 23, Cheryl nicely explained that
Erev Rosh Hoshanah is Sept 22, with the holiday running thru Sept 23 - on
the common calendar.

Thanks for the explanation that we use the lunar calendar for the Hebrew
calendar. Interestingly enough - our New Year also coincides with the Hindu
New year - some big holiday starting now, as well _ I've forgotten the name
- but a Hindu friend was discussing this with me yesterday. They also use a
lunar calendar.

ellice

Old September 22nd 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C - California wrote:

True. You can doctor most cake mixes and get something much better than
the original.

Or you can bake from scratch and really have something good. The cake
on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can doesn't take any more time than a
boxed cake mix and is a zillion times better.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 23rd 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Dr. Brat wrote:

Karen C - California wrote:

True. You can doctor most cake mixes and get something much better
than the original.

Or you can bake from scratch and really have something good. The cake
on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can doesn't take any more time than a
boxed cake mix and is a zillion times better.

Elizabeth

True, but that 99c brownie mix is hard to beat, price-wise. And when
you're providing a pan or two of brownies for the volunteers every day
for a week-plus, the savings really adds up.

The recipe on the back of the cocoa tin calls for 2 sticks of butter (a
couple bucks at current prices) instead of a little oil (pennies per
batch), 4 eggs versus 2 for the mix (thus, an extra dozen over the
course of a week), and 3/4 cup of cocoa (eyeballing it, maybe 1/3 of a
$3.35 can of cocoa). So, the cocoa alone would cost more than the 99c mix.

My favorite scratch brownie recipe runs $15 a batch. Could you imagine
the reaction of the treasurer if I'd turned in a request for
reimbursement of over $100? He was much happier with a receipt for $10
in mixes, $2 for a small bottle of oil and $3 for 18 eggs, total $15 for
the week.

Old September 23rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C - California wrote:

The recipe on the back of the cocoa tin calls for 2 sticks of butter (a
couple bucks at current prices) instead of a little oil (pennies per
batch), 4 eggs versus 2 for the mix (thus, an extra dozen over the
course of a week), and 3/4 cup of cocoa (eyeballing it, maybe 1/3 of a
$3.35 can of cocoa). So, the cocoa alone would cost more than the 99c mix.

The recipe I'm talking about uses no butter and 2 eggs, some oil, milk,
and a cup of boiling water with flour, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and is
worth every damned penny it costs. Best chocolate cake you'll ever eat
and one of the easiest you'll ever make. You dump all the dry
ingredients in a bowl, then mix in all the wet ones and you're done.

3/4 cup of cocoa is about 1/4 of the can (which claims to contain 45
tablespoons), which here costs $2.89.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 23rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Dr. Brat wrote:

3/4 cup of cocoa is about 1/4 of the can (which claims to contain 45
tablespoons), which here costs $2.89.

Elizabeth

$3.35 is today's price from Safeway.com when logged in with my zip code.
I didn't comparison-shop at other grocery websites. Mom has noted
that our regular prices for groceries are 15-25% higher than she pays in
the NY Metro area.

I agree that if you're baking for yourself, damn the cost, but when
you're baking for an organization on a tight budget, you feed people as
cheaply as possible. Our volunteers were there to earn money for the
organization's charitable purposes, not to spend all our profits on
food. We also fed them PBJ and bulk-pack "processed cheese food", not
roast beef and shrimp cocktail, which is not a trade-off I'd make at home.

Old September 23rd 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Mirjam - I think the poster was asking with respect to the common use

My answer was exactly to her question , Rosh Hashana [ Head of the
Year ] isn`t timed by September , it is Timed by the Lunar Sighting.
in Israel. And there are two days to the Holiday , because in Older
times, the Way to tell people the MOON was SEEN , was by Firing big
fires on the tops of high mountains and thus post from Israel all the
way To Babel Or Rome or even Spain, or North Africa.,, That the First
New Moon was seen, as sometimes . clouds or something stopped the news
from spreading all the way it needed to go. It was decided that Head
of the year will be celebarated 2 days. Once they had this Date , all
other Holidays could be easily counted...Since all this happened
Before America was found.... They had to adopt new measures for that,
But by this time knowledge about earth have been more developed.

By the way This Year Ramadan also started yesternight.

Yerushalayim Municipilaty , bought special Canon Balls , for the Holy
Cannon , which is shot every night , to anounce when the Muslim
fasting people can stop the daily Fast and eat.
mirjam

Happy New Year Janner Quilting 2 January 14th 06 10:27 AM
Happy New Year The Larsons Quilting 0 December 31st 05 07:04 PM
[AD] New at Trash City: Hebrew Letters, Pendulums, Bead Stoppers + Happy New Year! Trashcitybeads Beads 0 January 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Happy Lunar New Year! Erin-Joi Collins McNeal Rubberstamps 0 January 22nd 04 04:57 PM