Treasures, Aikos, Delicas, etc. vs. "regular" seed beads

Old September 20th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
monique

Default Treasures, Aikos, Delicas, etc. vs. "regular" seed beads

The more I read and the more I poke online, the more different kinds of
cylinder beads I see. Toho is now making Aikos, which are supposed to
be absolutely perfect. (See http://www.bobbybead.com/aiko.htm not
affiliated, yadda, yadda) The Chinese and Taiwanese are getting into
the act as well

I understand that these cylinders are often preferred for peyote and
square stitch, where it really helps that all the beads be exactly
alike, but I must admit a fondnes for the more donut-y shape of Czech
seed beads and some of the non-cylinder Japanese brands.

What do people think--do you think that the traditional shape will get
elbowed out of the market? Will stores, with limited space or $$ to
devote to inventory, opt for the uniformity and broad palette of Toho, etc?

Monique in TX
wearing some decidely not-uniform shimmery lavender seeds from India
Old September 21st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

The Aiko beads are wickedly expensive. They fill a niche, as do Delicas,
regular Toho Antiques and even irregular chinese and czech seed beads.
Japanese seed beads are pretty uniform, fwiw. I can't see any one store
narrowing down to one type of seed bead, especially the most expensive
one on the market.

Barbara
Beader and Polymer Clay Junky

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

monique wrote:
The Chinese and Taiwanese are getting into the act as well

Hi Monique,

Actually, the Chinese and Taiwanese have been producing seed beads for
many years. But they never come very highly recommended. Not just
because of the severe lack of uniformity in shape and size, but also
because the colors aren't very consistent. The process the Taiwanese,
for instance, have used to create their seed beads doesn't allow for a
proper melting temperature for the glass, and so the beads tend to be
very "drippy" looking with lots of cracks and fissures in the glass
that cut through beading thread like mad.
There is a little "thru the grapevine" going on that the Chinese are
working on perfecting this, but so far I haven't seen it.

I understand that these cylinders are often preferred for peyote and
square stitch, where it really helps that all the beads be exactly
alike, but I must admit a fondnes for the more donut-y shape of Czech
seed beads and some of the non-cylinder Japanese brands.

I think cylinder beads are often more preferred for pictorial pieces in
Peyote and other off-loom stitches. Mostly so that the picture is
legible.
But any seed bead type, from any country can be used for a patterned
off-loom piece of beadwork. The end result will just have a different
"feel" to it. I think it's all about preference.

What do people think--do you think that the traditional shape will get
elbowed out of the market?

I think it's pretty unlikely. Seed beads have been around for 1000's
of years. They morph over time, and new versions surface, and some
disappear again. But there is always a place for most kinds to remain
in constant use.
Some countries have still not ever had an opportunity to work with
Japanese seed beads at all. Or maybe in a limited supply that is
gifted to them by a visitor.
The Hoichol Indians for instance will continue to prefer Czech beads
for their style of beadwork. The Saraguro woman prefer size 10 Czech
seed beads. Many tribes in Africa have perfected their seed bead work
based upon the shape of a Czech seed bead, and I can't see them
changing that now after the 1000's of years of doing it.
And then there are all the contemporary beadwork artists who's style or
type of beadwork works best as well with Czech beads. Bead embroidery
is a good example of a newly resurfaced style of beading that is best
suited to using beads that are not always completely uniform.

Will stores, with limited space or $$ to
devote to inventory, opt for the uniformity and broad palette of Toho, etc?

That's possible. Actually, I think most stores with limited space have
a lot of decisions they need to make about what they can and cannot
stock. And I think their best choices for what they carry are based
upon what their local market dictates.

We stopped carry Czech seed beads about 6 years ago. It broke my heart
as I use them often. But my local customers stopped buying them and my
Internet customers had other sources, which made the competition too
great for me to justify stocking them. It was all about the business
decision, rather than a personal preference for me. Actually...I'm
such an addict that my personal preference would dictate that I stock
every single bead ever known to man....it's my bank account that
doesn't seem to agree with this! LOL

I think, if your LBS isn't carrying something you would like them to,
you should let them know. They'll never know these things unless their
customers communicate with them. This doesn't mean they'll be able to
get everything everyone wants in stock, but it may help them to make
their buying decisions. And if they aren't able to supply you with
what you need, consider the many reasons this may be. You may be the
only one asking. Their budget may not allow for it at this time. They
may have limited space. Their competition may carry something similar
and they have agreed to not cross over too much. There are about a
dozen more reasons as well....

I love talking about seed beads!

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old September 22nd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
monique

Oooh, thanks for the good info. That's exactly the sort of insight from
a shop/site owner I was looking for.

My LBS is just starting out, and I've given the owner lots of hints
about what I'd be likely to buy, but I'm not everybody. I know she's
got to please the majority. For the unusual things, there is always the
internet. (I must have been a terrier in a former life; eventually I
will dig up what I'm looking for.)

Maybe we lovers of Czech seed beads ought to put together a bead-lover's
tour of the Czech Republic--get a tour of a factory or two and come home
with some very bulgy suitcases? As long as Eastern Europe remains off
the Euro, it's very cheap to travel/eat/lodge once you get there there.
(It's the airfare over that'll eat up the stash money.)

Cheers,
Monique in TX
happy because she just won a second chance auction on e-bay
Old September 22nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

And we like to hear! You're so informed about them, even someone who knows a
bit about them learns something new from you. Wanna get coffee so I can pick
your brain? lol!

--
Valerie
wrote in message
ps.com...

Favorite Beading Books cathyesq Beads 4 April 5th 06 10:49 PM
AD-Old Dominion State Intergalactic Bead Festival Nov 1-2, 2003 Richmond, VA Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 October 17th 03 02:54 PM
AD-Orlando, FL July 12-13, 2003 Florida Summer Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Glass 0 July 11th 03 06:28 PM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM
AD-July 12-13, 2003 Orlando, FL Florida Summer Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 08:54 PM