What is the equivalent to Lyscordet?

Old June 27th 05, 06:19 PM
Yvonne

Default What is the equivalent to Lyscordet?

Hi everyone

Couldn't find a newsgroup specifically for knitting or crochet but this one looks fun!

I'm based in the UK and am thinking about making a top using a pattern
that states you need 5 x 50g balls Twilleys Lyscordet. That seems to
be an expensive option. Just wondering what Lyscordet is comparable to
in the UK.... is it similar to double knit, 4 ply or something finer
than that.

Also wondering what size 3 fine (sport) weight cotton thread would be
similar to, in UK wool. I'm thinking of crocheting some bags for my
daughters. Would a 4 ply work instead of sport weight cotton, or would
it come out too big?

Please can someone help on either of the above two questions.

Many Thanks.

Yvonne

Old June 27th 05, 06:34 PM
JCT

You might find this chart helpful
http://www.yarnfwd.com/tension.html

(Thanks, Roger)

Old June 27th 05, 06:38 PM
MRH

Hi Yvonne! Welcome to the newsgroup... and you're right, it is fun! ;o) Actually this newsgroup is mainly for knitting and crocheting, so you lucked out there too. But of course we do a lot (I do a LOT) of off-topic chatter too. We become very involved in each other's lives, and think of everyone here as an extended family! So... welcome to the family! ;o)

There are a few ladies on this newsgroup from the UK who will be able to help you with your questions about the yarn equivalent.

Welcome, again!

Gemini
(in Ontario, Canada)

Old June 27th 05, 06:47 PM
Yvonne

Thank you for your link Roger - that's extremely useful. And thank you for
such a warm welcome Gemini. Much appreciated.

Yvonne

Old June 27th 05, 07:13 PM
Sue W

Hi Yvonne, you found the right place! Lyscordet is a no.5 crochet cotton
which is thinner than 4 ply. Not easy to find a cheaper alternative in
standard knitting yarn :-( . A 3 ply cotton would probably work, but that's
not easy to find. A size 3 crochet cotton could be replaced by a 4 ply
knitting cotton pretty well, but obviously you would need to check your
tension.
I hope this helps.

Incidently, I recently completed a crochet top in Lyscordet using a 2mm hook
and it turned out very nicely.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...0263090vqeqOc#
--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old June 27th 05, 07:26 PM
Yvonne

Thank you Sue for your wonderful advice. What a lovely top. How long did it
take to make?

At the moment I'm making a wall decoration with a picture of an angel for my
mother in law in Canada - it's around 25 inches square and will need some
dowling to thread through the loops at the top. I wonder if most craft shops
sell that sort of dowling? I'm using a bedspread weight cotton for that
(size 10). If lyscordet is a number 5, is it thinner or thicker than number
10 thread?

Bye for now and thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Yvonne

. com...

Old June 27th 05, 07:42 PM
MRH

"Yvonne" wrote in message
At the moment I'm making a wall decoration with a picture of an angel for
my
mother in law in Canada - it's around 25 inches square and will need some
dowling to thread through the loops at the top. I wonder if most craft
shops
sell that sort of dowling? I'm using a bedspread weight cotton for that
(size 10). If lyscordet is a number 5, is it thinner or thicker than
number
10 thread?

Your picture of the angel sounds very pretty, Yvonne. About the
doweling.... if you can't find it at a craft supply shop, try a hardware
store. I know a few hardware / woodworking places here that carry doweling.
Just a suggestion. )

Gemini

Old June 27th 05, 08:11 PM

Hi Yvonne,

Welcome to this great group and you sure came to the right place for
help. I live in upstate NY, so can't help with the UK yarn, but I know
Sue has and others probably will chime in too.

Yes, do try a hardward or any store that sells wood, it would be
cheaper there for dowling then a carft store. Will be get to see a
picture of the angel when you finish? We do love pictures.

Hugs,

Nora

Old June 27th 05, 08:12 PM

Hi Sue,

That top is beautiful, thanks for sharing and I do love the pineapple
best of all.

Hugs,

Nora