Changing My Ways -- Is OT

Old January 9th 05, 10:45 AM
René

Default Changing My Ways -- Is OT

Since my health has gotten worse, I've realized that I no longer like to
make particular projects for requests or planned gifts. The "need to"
aspect hangs over my head until I just give up and stash it away.

My days are so often bad enough to restrict when, where, and how much I
can sew/quilt. I want to do things simply because I want to do it. Right
now I'm cutting up pieces for a kaleidoscope quilt. Haven't decided what
size or planned borders, etc.

I want it to "just happen." I'm also collecting fabric for 3 "Baltimore
Album" type quilts. One will be in bright, traditional prints and colors.
The second one will be in pastels. And the third will be done in
Christmas fabrics and colors. Each will have a different type border.
This appeals to me because it makes more sense to cut and appliqué the
single pattern on each block, instead of making the 1st, then 2nd, then
3rd quilt. I plan to do some embellishing, and will probably embellish
each set of blocks in various ways. I think that doing them in this way,
I can finish them faster and satisfy a wish to make the same pattern, but
end up with all 3 very unique quilts.

I also want to do up some baby quilts just to have on hand. I have a
precious 3 yr. old DGD and am expecting the 2nd DGD any day now.

And many of my friends are also into the awesome grandparenting thing, so
the extra baby quilts will come in handy.

Before I retired due to my health, at work I was inundated with daily
orders and obligations and "shoulds." As an RN, working in Special Care
Units, these were absolutely necessary and a matter of life and death. No
problem.

But now I want to just relax as much as possible through the miasma of
chronic pain and limited mobility, and just have some fun with quilting.

Snazzy, new, original "Made By René" quilts, here I come!! LOL

René

--
"Buying more fabric is good for you.
A strong interest in fabric purchases will

Old January 9th 05, 12:41 PM
Susan Laity Price

Love your new approach to quilting and life in general. Your Baltimore
Album quilts will be like my cross stitch samplers. When my children
were young I did a lot of cross stitch. I was frustrated with the
large picture type designs because I didn't feel I had accomplished
anything until the last stitch was in place. When I started making
traditional linen samplers I changed my attitude. Each time I finished
a segment such as an alphabet or a saying or a motif, I felt I had
finished something. The smaller goals were attainable. As you finish
each album block it will be like you finished a mini quilt.

Susan

Old January 9th 05, 03:23 PM
Denise Jameson in Ontario

Good for you Rene! I totally agree with this outlook to life. It's
too short and we should do more of what we love to do! You have
obviously given of yourself for many years as an RN and now it's time
for YOU, (well deserved, I'm sure). The Baltimore quilts you are
planning sound wonderful and definitely in the heirloom category.
Maybe you can 'show' us yor progress as you go along! :-) Sure would
love to see these blocks! :-)

Denise in Ontario, Canada
Old January 9th 05, 06:16 PM
Pat in Virginia

Woo Hoo! You GO René!
PAT in VA/USA

René wrote:

Since my health has gotten worse, I've realized that I no longer like to
make particular projects for requests or planned gifts. The "need to"
aspect hangs over my head until I just give up and stash it away.

My days are so often bad enough to restrict when, where, and how much I
can sew/quilt. I want to do things simply because I want to do it. Right
now I'm cutting up pieces for a kaleidoscope quilt. Haven't decided what
size or planned borders, etc.