the art of mending

Old January 23rd 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pomodoro

Default the art of mending

Ciaooo
in these days I'm reading the book "the art of mending" by Elizabeth
Berg..
... well.. I bought this book just because I liked the title and the
photo (fabric in the armoir) on its top.. quilting is a mania for me,
it is a fact!
and.. the story is nice, the protagonist, a woman, is a quilter and
here and there, she talks about her quilting studio, her fabrics,
buttons, narrows.. an so on... and some "advice" in quilting..
for example.. not too much, really, as i would. but I expecially
agree one of them:
When she give away one of her quilts, she makes a "holder" to put the
quilt, made with the scraps of fabric used in the same quilt..
I think it is a great idea.. What surprise for my friends .. not only
the quilt, but also a "personal" holder..
I hope you can understand my terrible english.. but maybe you can
understand my feeling, reading this book!!
Even if, unfortunately, the translator doesn't know just nothing about
quilting,

do you know if there are some other books who talks about quilting??

ciaoooo
nicoletta (tomatta)

Old January 23rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Read the book when it was recommended by a quilting friend; some of it
was very familiar, coming from a large, extended family. I wanted more
quilting from the story, as usual. g

A pillowcase is another option for a quilt holder, either a custom
pillow case made from the scraps as you say or a ready-made case w/ an
addition of scraps from the quilt as a border to the pillowcase
(this is good for quilt shows entries, too).

To find other books and stories about quilting, this list is a place
to start:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/qu...ion_adult.html

If you go to Amazon.com or one of the other book sellers and search
for "quilts" or "quilting fiction" you'll find more titles.
Good luck!

I enjoy your English, Nicoletta, and your posts to this group. ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy--shivering and quilting in north Texas

On 1/23/07 11:34 AM, in article
, "pomodoro"

Old January 23rd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

When I first read this thread and the art of mending it brought back
memories to me.
Now in the days when people will throw away a shirt because it lost a
button or a sock because it needed a darn. For the simple reason they
are not taught now how to do these things like I was as a child.

WW11 broke out when I was 3 years old, even at that tender age I could
use a sewing machine. My mother suffered from Rheumatism in her feet and
legs and could not pedal the sewing machine. Mum used to sit me on a
stool the other side of the machine and I was instructed to pedal and
stop when told. In other words I was the machines electric motor.

After she had finished I was allowed to sew on the machine using paper
but no cotton thread in the machine to start with. However I was making
and hemming handkerchiefs by the time I was 5.

Mother used to go to the WI (women's institute) and because there was
no one to look after me she used to take me along with her. I learnt to
sing Jerusalem the WI hymn. I was fascinated with all the make do and
mend leaflets that were issued for the purpose of repairing clothes.
There was one for darning socks and putting patches on clothes. At 6
years of age I was quite proficient at doing a very neat darn and well
able to put double patches inside and out in trousers etc. I made my
first dress at 9 years of age and have made many more since. I learnt to
knit when I was 4 but did not conquer crocheting until the 1970's.

I thought there was going to be a revival in mending clothes from your
header.
Hugs
Shirley

In message .com,
pomodoro writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old January 23rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Nice to see you again, Nicoletta.

Look for some books by Jennifer Chiaverini. The fiction ones are in a
series called 'Elm Creek' books. They tell quilting tales around the
same group of people, with a few others added on. It would be good to
read these in the correct order according to when they were written.
..

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 24th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr

I always tell people that "asking a quilter to mend is like asking
Picasso to paint your garage". So one day my daughter (27y.o.) asks
her husband what should I do about these pants I need hemmed? He said
"Ask Picasso to do them". I loved his joke and I did the hemming.
Debra in Idaho

Old January 24th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pomodoro

Thanks Sandy!!!
You're so nice.. I know my english is awful!!! °You should "listen"...
:0))
thanks for your suggestions!!!
ciaoo
nicoletta

Old January 24th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pomodoro

I have heard about "Elm creek" even if here in Italy those books
aren't translated. so I could find them on amazon in english..
ciaoo
nicoletta