The Wichelt linen I bought at Walmart is stiff/starched!

Old December 16th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default The Wichelt linen I bought at Walmart is stiff/starched!

Calling on the great treasure trove of knowledge on RCTN

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.

The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.

Is this a brand difference or does Walmart order theirs already
stiffened? I may quit buying fabric unless I can put my hands on it!

Thanks for any information
Barbara T
Old December 16th 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Barbara T wrote:

Calling on the great treasure trove of knowledge on RCTN

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.

The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.

It's not (just) because you got it at WalMart. Wichelt linen is
stiffer than Zweigart. It's the way they make it. Some people prefer
it.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Insect Sampler
Old December 16th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:57:06 -0600, Barbara T
wrote:

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.

The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.

Is this a brand difference or does Walmart order theirs already
stiffened? I may quit buying fabric unless I can put my hands on it!

Wichelt is actually a distributor; the linens often called "Wichelt"
are actually manufactured by Permin. Zweigart is also a manufacturer,
and many people prefer Zweigart's products (and Zweigart fabrics
always have an orange thread in the selvage). Further confusing the
matter is the fact that Wichelt also distributes Zweigart products. If
the linen (100% flax) is named (Dublin, Cork, Cashel, Belfast,
Edinburgh), it's likely Zweigart; the names are reserved for certain
counts (Cashel is 28, and always 28; you can't have a Cashel that's
another count).
Old December 16th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

If a piece of fabric feels too boardy to work comfortably, try washing
it before stitching. A lot of the stiffener will wash out. As long as
you aren't dealing with a custom (non-fast) dyed fabric, this will not
cause any problems. I do this since I seem to be developing psoriasis
on an index finger (and other locations which are not relevant to
needlework) and handling really rough fabric is painful.

Barbara T wrote:
Calling on the great treasure trove of knowledge on RCTN

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.

The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.

Is this a brand difference or does Walmart order theirs already
stiffened? I may quit buying fabric unless I can put my hands on it!

Thanks for any information

--
Brenda
Bilge Queen of Puzzle Pirates
Old December 16th 05, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

You can either get rid of the starch by rinsing the fabric in water, or
you can scrunch it up in your hands till the stiffness breaks down.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 16th 05, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I also have sometimes had linen that was very stiff at the beginning of
the project soften up immensely as I worked it.

Sue

Barbara T wrote:

Calling on the great treasure trove of knowledge on RCTN

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.
The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.
Is this a brand difference or does Walmart order theirs already
stiffened? I may quit buying fabric unless I can put my hands on it!

Thanks for any information

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com
Old December 18th 05, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

wrote:

After trying linen in my first project, I found I liked the look/feel
and have been using it in my projects. I have been purchasing from
LNS. Then I needed more for some small projects and no LNS around so I
went into a Walmart and picked up a packet of Wichelt 28 count ivory.
The only brand they carried. I am using it but it is very stiff and
unpleasant to handle.

The stuff I had previously used turns out to be Zweigart, and it has
all been fairly soft.

Is this a brand difference or does Walmart order theirs already
stiffened? I may quit buying fabric unless I can put my hands on it!

Wichelt is actually a distributor; the linens often called "Wichelt"
are actually manufactured by Permin.

The bag had both "Wichelt" and "Permin" printed on the label. I had
just figured one was a division of the other.

Zweigart is also a manufacturer,
and many people prefer Zweigart's products (and Zweigart fabrics
always have an orange thread in the selvage). Further confusing the
matter is the fact that Wichelt also distributes Zweigart products. If
the linen (100% flax) is named (Dublin, Cork, Cashel, Belfast,
Edinburgh), it's likely Zweigart; the names are reserved for certain
counts (Cashel is 28, and always 28; you can't have a Cashel that's
another count).

That is interesting and informative, Thanks
That explains why the plactic bag that contained the last piece of
fabric from a LNS identified it as Cashel, and yes the selvage has
orange in it.

Barbara T
Old December 18th 05, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Thank you all for the education! This CS hobby sure does have a lot
of branches of knowledge. I now know what to ask/look for. The small
pieces I have made of the Wichelt were done "in hand" and the stiff
fabic was unhandy. I'll wad and wrinkle it to soften it before the
next item. I prefer to wash it after the stitcing is done.

Now back to the Superstition Mountain! I will not, will not let it
become a UFO! :-)

Barbara T