Food coloring in 'glaze paint'

Old April 25th 05, 04:17 PM
DKat

So do you think the Kool-Aid glaze simply had Kool-Aid added as an
ingredient so that it was visible on the ware?

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
In certain situations we are asked about colouring materials to aid
identity and we always recommend food colours, which because of their
use are non-toxic and burn out without trace.
For example we sell a colloidal silica for spraying onto Ceramic Fibre
to harden the surface against degradation by gas, oil, or wood flame.
This comes as a clear liquid, so without a dye in it, it is virtually
impossible to see where you've sprayed.
I first came across this when our kids when to a party where ALL the
food was dyed green. Unsurprisingly not a lot of it was eaten!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , annemarie annemarie.butler@paradise
.net.nz writes

"dkat" wrote in message

"annemarie" wrote in message
What the hell is in Kool-Aid then. Thats scary.
I have used food colouring in brush wax and latex, you're right, just
burns
out fine.
Annemarie

Exactly! Glad we never gave our kids bug juice (our name for Kool-aid)
though I had more than my fair share of it as a kid - that could explain
lot.

Never had Kool-Aid but as a kid we had high sugar cordial some of the
time.
I gave my kids juice some of the time, but mostly they drank - wait for
it -
water )
They are 15 and 20 now

--
Steve Mills
Bath

Old April 25th 05, 04:19 PM
DKat

Definitely Tang (tasted like tangerine juice but I believe was entirely
artificial)... Definitely.
(once was a big fan of the space program, tang and Rainman)

--

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:30:35 +0200, "Bubbles"
wrote:

"annemarie" wrote in message

What the hell is in Kool-Aid then. Thats scary.

Kool-Aid is, as I remember, the drink of the astronauts - ie. powder added
to water to make a nice drink. But blue??? I've been out of the loop for a
while, I see! Hehe!

Marianne

Don't recall astronauts and Kool-Aid. Could you be thinking of Tang?
That was supposed to be something like freeze-dried orange juice.
Probably tasted a lot better when the nearest orange tree was
hundreds of miles below!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Old April 25th 05, 09:01 PM

exactly - just for visual use.

i saw a production pottery house doing typically cone 6 ware ("squash
pots" - mold & ram methods).

they used color in the glazes so the workers could tell if a product
was fully glazed or not just by looking at them. or if a batch was
left over night you could easily remember in the morning.

see ya

steve

Old April 25th 05, 09:03 PM

DKat - if you liked the space program (certainly me!) get a copy of
that Tom Hanks space series: "From Earth to the Moon". rental or buy
it. it's an excelent docu-drama.

see ya

steve

Old April 25th 05, 09:15 PM
DKat

Never heard of it. Thanks!
Donna
P.S. Have you ever been to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in
D.C.? They have the Apollo space module on display. If you have never seen
it, it is really worth the trip. I cannot believe they actually survived in
this thing. It's walls look paper thin and it was incredibly tiny.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gal100/apollo11.html

ups.com...

Old April 25th 05, 10:17 PM
Steve Mills

More than likely.

Steve

In article , DKat
writes

Old April 26th 05, 05:33 AM

non pottery but fun anyway:

by the way - the space museums in both huntsville alabama & cape
canaveral (florida usa) are every bit as good as the one at the
smithsonian in washington DC! i was lucky to get a special tour of the
cape for a shuttle launch (VIP seats - but delayed launch. got the T
shirt though). i saw the refurbishment of the side bay rockets along
with many other non-usa-public areas.

huntsville has the 2nd skylab which they used on the ground to help
debug issues they had in space.

standing next to a saturn 5 rocket is a pretty small feeling. that
tourch did some 6 G's acceleration! they tuned the shuttle down to
around 3.5 G's after the saturn 5 was shown to be stronger then
needed...

should have collected some special dirt from some of the old launch
sites. might be some odd chemicals still around that make a good
glaze?

see ya

steve

Old April 27th 05, 04:38 PM
Brad Sondahl

dkat wrote:
I want students to be able to see the 'blue' they are painting on with
cobalt. Has anyone played with adding food coloring to cobalt?

Another approach is to add some Cobalt Oxide to the Cobalt carbonate.
The oxide is black in color and helps the carbonate show up on bisque or
glaze, as well as adding intensity to the hue.
Brad Sondahl

--
For my pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

food coloring stains Anna MCM Yarn 3 December 19th 03 09:52 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM