Changing a vases colour.

Old February 26th 04, 02:33 PM
Jay Kaner

Default Changing a vases colour.

Hello Group.

I have a beautiful 1950's vase with a classic 50's shape. The shape is
fantastic, but the colour of it is, to be honest, a bit yucky.

Basically, what I'd like to know is is it possible to change the colour and
re-glaze the vase after it has already been finished? Or are you
basically stuck with the finished finish once it has left the kiln?

I'd appreciate any advice on this

Cheers

Jay.

Old February 27th 04, 10:16 AM
paula

"whilst i have personally changed the colour of a lamp it was one that
i had made and was "new". the colour did not turn out right so i
re-glazed it and popped it back into the kiln and the result was
great. HOWEVER, although you will be able to re-glaze this vase i do
not know about the actual firing of something that old, it may be a
case of try and see but be prepared for the fact it could spoil in the
firing. good luck.
Old February 27th 04, 11:58 AM
Jay Kaner

Well, after reading the two replies... a no and a yes but it might drop to
bits, it looks like I'm stuck with the colours.
Oh well, y'never know the colour of it might grow on me. Perhaps it's not
quite as yucky as i first thought.

Thanks for the advice Annemarie and Paula

Take care

Jay.

Old February 27th 04, 01:16 PM
wayneinkeywest

"Jay Kaner" wrote in message
Well, after reading the two replies... a no and a yes but it might drop to
bits, it looks like I'm stuck with the colours.
Oh well, y'never know the colour of it might grow on me. Perhaps it's not
quite as yucky as i first thought.

Thanks for the advice Annemarie and Paula

Take care

Jay.

Jay:
This is a bit tongue in cheek, but have you considered latex spray paint?
Certainly will change the color, and can still be removed so as not to
completely destroy the value of the piece?
Just a thought.
Wayne Seidl

Old February 27th 04, 02:10 PM
Bob Masta

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:33:25 -0000, "Jay Kaner"
wrote:

Hello Group.

I have a beautiful 1950's vase with a classic 50's shape. The shape is
fantastic, but the colour of it is, to be honest, a bit yucky.

Basically, what I'd like to know is is it possible to change the colour and
re-glaze the vase after it has already been finished? Or are you
basically stuck with the finished finish once it has left the kiln?

I'd appreciate any advice on this

Cheers

Jay.

If you can find out enough info on the vase,
your odds will be greatly improved. You should
be able to add an overglaze to the existing one,
so the final color would be a combination of the
two. The overglaze would be chosen for a lower
temperature than the original glaze, so there won't
be actual mixing of the glazes.

I don't think that there should be any particular
risk of the pot going to pieces or anything, but
more likely of non-uniform overglaze and running
off the surface. So if you don't mind risking
your only pot, and if you can think of a color
combination where a runny, uneven overglaze
would look good, then go for it!

Maybe all you need is a contrasting color running
down from the shoulder of the piece to give it new
appeal. That seems at least feasible. Any way
you can get some other pieces to experiment on?

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis