Perfect Package Knot Announcement

Old January 12th 05, 09:26 AM
O J

Default Perfect Package Knot Announcement

Perfect Package Announcement.txt

Hi All,

This is a text file that will be crossposted to both
rec.crafts.knots and to alt.binaries. In alt.binaries, it will have
the scans of the knot attached. That is why there are tying
instructions in this file. I've updated the scans to include text on
tying the knots with the scan, but the text in this article may assist
you in grasping the method of tying the knot.

I have announced this knot here before, but am doing so again to
coincide with a general posting of all my knots to alt.binaries. The
scans of this knot on alt.binaries are some newer, smaller, and
updated versions of the ones on Peter Suber's web site
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/knotgrfx/gallery.htm. If your news
server does not get binary groups, let me know by e-mail and I'll send
you a package with all the knots.

This knot appears similar to a Buntline hitch or a reversed two
half hitches, but the inner half hitch goes around the standing part
in the opposite direction(fig. 1). This creates a knot which will
slip when tightened, but will not loosen, as it forms a right angle
around and cinches the standing part. It's probably easy to tie from
just the first image, but there's a quick trick to tying it in two
seconds as a slip knot which I hope I have made clear.

Hold a loop in your right hand with the loop hanging down to the
left, the running end on the bottom(fig. 2). Reach around the
standing side of the loop and grasp the running side at point 'A'.
Pull this behind and around the standing part of the loop and lay it
across the standing part at 'B'(fig. 3). Then slip point 'C' through
opening 'D' from behind and pull untill the knot appears as in fig. 4.
At this point you must let the knot invert. Loop 'E' will straighten
and the knot will become a running knot (fig. 5). The standing and
running parts exit the knot together -- this is good. Tighten the
knot till just snug, bringing the two half hitches together (else
there is a chance the knot will re-invert). You'll never have to
have someone "put their finger on the knot" again. O J

Regards,
O J

Terminology Brian Grimley Knots 13 June 28th 04 07:36 PM
Perfect Package Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM
Figure Four Bend Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM
Single knot to a two-loop lanyard Ford and Mary Ann Walton Knots 4 April 27th 04 01:06 AM
water knot with rope ? [email protected] Knots 7 August 16th 03 11:16 PM