OT - the heck with Xmas - who's is getting ready for Thanksgiving

Old November 24th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

Default OT - the heck with Xmas - who's is getting ready for Thanksgiving

Throwing together a pie - been invited out - yay -
Old November 24th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Old November 24th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"anne" wrote
lucretiaborgia says...
I felt quite bitter a couple of years ago when Sunday Shopping was
instituted here, just because all the rest of you had it and NS was
'behind the times' -

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. When I was working and my
kids
hadn't yet flown the coop, we were always busy with school activities and
sports during the week and Saturdays. I was very grateful to be able to
shop on
Sundays.

It is not so much the Sundays that trouble me; I can choose not shop that
day as my own personal sabbath, and the store I work for allows me to be
"unavailable" until after I have attended church services. But I do wonder
that North America as a society cannot seem to set aside any days at all
that are not shopping days. Thanksgiving Day, Easter Day, Remembrance Day,
New Year's Day---all shopping days. Our province has instituted a February
holiday--one more great day for the malls. Can't people find anything else
to do??

Dawne

Old November 24th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

On Nov 23, 9:34 pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
val189 wrote:

Throwing together a pie - been invited out - yay -

Huh? I didn't 'hear' you.
Old November 24th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:10:36 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

[...]

Home Depot is closed on Easter!
Victoria

My Publix Super Market is closed Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Old November 25th 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I do wonder
that North America as a society cannot seem to set aside any days at all
that are not shopping days. Thanksgiving Day, Easter Day, Remembrance Day,
New Year's Day---all shopping days. Our province has instituted a February
holiday--one more great day for the malls. Can't people find anything else
to do??

I agree. Do we really have to rush through Thanksgiving dinner so that
people can get to the mall?

I'm waiting for the day some store decides that it's a great idea to
open at 6 AM Christmas Day so we can spend all our Christmas money two
minutes after opening the envelope in the stocking. I know, I know,
don't give them any ideas....

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old November 25th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

My Publix Super Market is closed Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Good for them! Most of our supermarkets are open Thanksgiving morning
just in case you forgot something you need for the feast, but do close
like 1 or 2 in the afternoon "so our employees can celebrate with their
families".

I say, unless it's the turkey you forgot (and how would you forget
THAT?) just do without.

Old November 25th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruby

Karen C in California wrote:
Lucille wrote:

My Publix Super Market is closed Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Good for them! Most of our supermarkets are open Thanksgiving morning
just in case you forgot something you need for the feast, but do close
like 1 or 2 in the afternoon "so our employees can celebrate with their
families".

I say, unless it's the turkey you forgot (and how would you forget
THAT?) just do without.

in 2006 I was in sandiego and had occasion to run to the grocery store

on thanksgiving morning to pick up a forgotten spice item. I was shocked
to see people buying frozen turkeys and wondered how in heck they would
manage to thaw and cook those even for a late evening thanks giving
meal.The store was full and the lines miserably long. I ended up saying
to heck with it and we did without the pie. LOL! I figured perhaps those
folks didn't celebrate "christmas rehearsal"
Ruby
Ruby
Old November 25th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Karen C in California wrote:

I agree. Do we really have to rush through Thanksgiving dinner so that
people can get to the mall?

I'm waiting for the day some store decides that it's a great idea to
open at 6 AM Christmas Day so we can spend all our Christmas money two
minutes after opening the envelope in the stocking. I know, I know,
don't give them any ideas....

Speaking of Christmas....

The teacher was very curious about how each of her students' celebrated
Christmas Eve "Tell me Patrick, what do you do on Christmas Eve?" she
asked.
Patrick addressed the class. "Well Miss, me and my twelve brothers and
sisters go to midnight Mass and we sing hymns, then we come home very
late and we put mince pies by the back door and hang up our stockings.
Then all excited we go to bed and wait for Father Christmas to come with
all our toys."
"Very nice Patrick, now Jimmy Brown, what do you do?"
"Well Miss, me and my sister go to Church with Mum and Dad and we sing
carols and we get home ever so late. We put cookies and milk by the
chimney and we hang up our stockings. We hardly sleep waiting for Santa
Claus to bring our presents."
Remembering there was a Jewish boy in the class and not wanting to leave
him out of the discussion, she asked, "Now Jimmy Cohen, what do you do
on Christmas Eve?"
"Well Miss, it's the same old thing every year. Dad comes home from the
office. We all pile into the Rolls and drive to his toy factory. When we
get inside we look at all the empty shelves and sing "What a friend we
have in Jesus". Then we go to the Bahamas."
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old November 27th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

I was going to eat alone, but my new neighbor invited me over today,
so I'll cook the duck, make the dressing, finish the choc chip
cookies, and NO LEFTOVERS! Yipee!!!

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:34:49 GMT, Gillian Murray
wrote:

fran wrote:
The candies are made, the coookies started and I have made one pumpkin
pie. I'm trying a new recipe and so decided to make a pie before
thanksgiving - if it works, I'll make another on the day, if not, I'll
times as long on the prep. We'll see how it tastes this evening.

DH and I have been invited to join some friends on Thanksgiving Day. We
thought it a great idea. Soooo We have just finished a turkey dinner for
the two of us at home. We get all the things that I can fix (healthy)
for DH, have lots of leftovers and soup in the future!

I shall take Green Beans almondine and a Cranberry sauce from the Sunday
paper as my contributions. I might make Anne's chocolate goodies too.

We get the best of both worlds, friends AND leftovers!

Gillian

get ready for your xmas goshoppingchina Beads 0 August 3rd 07 08:43 AM
What the heck Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 6 January 3rd 06 09:26 PM
What the heck is this? DreamBeadr Beads 5 September 15th 04 05:50 AM
AD: Just for the Heck of it.... Juanita Floyd Beads 0 April 11th 04 05:26 PM
New Xmas Freebie - Gaelic Xmas Greeting cpceltic Marketplace 0 November 25th 03 09:15 PM