Custom Prices

Old September 29th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

Default Custom Prices

For those of you out there that actually make some money from this silly
craft, I want to know how all these price increases have afftected your
square foot pricing for commission work? Lead was about $45 a case for
years, now triple or more. Solder was $2/lb for 20 years, now quadrupled.
Let's not even talk about the glass itself! So if you were charging
$100/sqft 10 years ago, what now? I've been getting as much as $250/sqft
and am now wondering where the ceiling is? Even the Chinese lamps on the
homeshopping nets have gone way up... still cheap but noticeably higher.
Time to reaccess the new market again?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 29th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 28, 7:25 pm, "glassman" wrote:
For those of you out there that actually make some money from this silly
craft, I want to know how all these price increases have afftected your
square foot pricing for commission work? Lead was about $45 a case for
years, now triple or more. Solder was $2/lb for 20 years, now quadrupled.
Let's not even talk about the glass itself! So if you were charging
$100/sqft 10 years ago, what now? I've been getting as much as $250/sqft
and am now wondering where the ceiling is? Even the Chinese lamps on the
homeshopping nets have gone way up... still cheap but noticeably higher.
Time to reaccess the new market again?

--
JK Sinrodwww.SinrodStudios.comwww.MyConeyIslandMemori es.com

\

Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - www.vicartglass.com
DeBrady Glassworks - www.debrady.com
Glass Campus - www.glasscampus.com

Old September 29th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Ah, bull****. Again.

How do you figure you have more design flexibility in fusing vs.SG? You
can't cut any design out of fusible glass that you can't cut in regular SG.
It is a much more limited pallete of colors, and you have no textures to
work with.

Old September 29th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 7:29 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Ah, bull****. Again.

How do you figure you have more design flexibility in fusing vs.SG? You
can't cut any design out of fusible glass that you can't cut in regular SG.
It is a much more limited pallete of colors, and you have no textures to
work with.

- Shapes that are impossible in stained glass without structural
connecting lines are simple in fusing. Any shape you want can be fused
to a base.

- Creating any colour you want is a relatively simple job with
fusing. Tiffany created new colours by plating. Fusers do it by
fusing glass together. It's specifically for that purpose that
Bullseye produces their Transparent Tint glass. We've been able to
match (colour and texture) no longer available glass for repairs by
making it. One of the artisans I work with is fusing a variety of
flashed glass for sandblasting. The finished results from designs
etched in his fused black on red is gorgeous. He's now experimenting
with multi-layer multi-colour fuses for intricate deep etches that
will display different colours at different cut depths.

- Textures is where fusing is the most superior. You're not limited to
the textures provided by the manufacturers but you can create any
texture you can imagine. It's that wonderful variety of textures that
makes fused panels so popular.

- There are so many things that you can do that aren't possible with
regular stained glass. We've had a few commissions to do sets of
cabinet doors, lamp sconces, and wall/counter tiles as matching sets.
The demand for domestically made stained glass lampshades has pretty
much evaporated, but the market for kilnformed is just emerging.
You're restricted only by your imagination and kiln size. I've been
selling kilns as large as 4'x6' to emerging basement bandits.

Old September 29th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

Moonraker wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Ah, bull****. Again.

How do you figure you have more design flexibility in fusing vs.SG? You
can't cut any design out of fusible glass that you can't cut in regular SG.
It is a much more limited pallete of colors, and you have no textures to
work with.

As a fuser
I have unlimited possibilitu to design my own textures.

-lauri
Old September 29th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 8:10 am, Lauri Levanto wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...
Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Ah, bull****. Again.

How do you figure you have more design flexibility in fusing vs.SG? You
can't cut any design out of fusible glass that you can't cut in regular SG.
It is a much more limited pallete of colors, and you have no textures to
work with.

As a fuser
I have unlimited possibilitu to design my own textures.

-lauri

You also have unlimited possibilities to create your own colours.

Old September 29th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 29, 7:29 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

You started this out as a labor saving post...now we learn that you are
cutting another sheet of glass to act as a base, possibly cutting more
pieces to add color somewhere, and then doing manipulation of hot glass in
the kiln, along with sandblasting. I don't see the labor savings.

You are selling 4'x6' kilns? Made by whom?

Old September 29th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

You are selling 4'x6' kilns? Made by whom?- Hide quoted text -

You're doubting this????? How dare you!!!

Old September 29th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 1:14 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 29, 7:29 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

If you're still at the stage where you're unaware that you can create
your own colours and textures, you're still a very long way from being
ready for a kiln that size. Maybe this is closer to your needs?
http://www.aimkilns.com/html/84bd.html

It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a kiln built and shipped from AIM
but I have a few in stock ready to go:
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/kilnsinstock.htm

If you think you can handle it, I can get you a kiln the size of a
boxcar.

Old September 30th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

people who want custom stained glass want just that! NOT fused glass , not
glued mosaic glass. You will never pass off a fused panel as leaded. As for
pricing, i have increased my prices as far as i am sure i can but i have
never gone by footage. Labor is much more of a factor, even now, so i do by
the piece and just keep upping as little as i can still trying to accomodate
my increased supply cost . Also, show fees are up, gas, hotels are up so
doing more commissions these days. m

wrote in message .googlegroups.com...
Almost half the panels we do now are fused instead of stained glass.
That permits much greater design flexibility and the labour is only
about 1/3rd that of stained glass.
We're not charging any more relative to size, but the profit margin is
up dramatically.

Dennis Brady

Ah, bull****. Again.

How do you figure you have more design flexibility in fusing vs.SG?
You
can't cut any design out of fusible glass that you can't cut in regular
SG.
It is a much more limited pallete of colors, and you have no textures
work with.

As a fuser
I have unlimited possibilitu to design my own textures.

-lauri

You also have unlimited possibilities to create your own colours.

Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head. [email protected] Carving 4 October 26th 06 08:46 PM
Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head. [email protected] Marketplace 3 October 26th 06 08:46 PM
Custom bead set Charlie Beads 2 October 2nd 04 03:38 PM
Custom Beaded Jewelry at Affordable Prices Melissa Beads 0 January 7th 04 04:53 PM
Custom Furnature JLB Doll Houses 5 July 16th 03 10:16 PM