Newsgroup Reply Format Request....

Old January 9th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Newsgroup Reply Format Request....

Kate G. wrote:

I know that some people always include the original post with their response... and some never do.
And either is okay by me (but then again -- I don't pay by the kb)

However....

If you include the original message -- could you please see that your response is at the TOP of your
reply ... and not way down after all the repeated text.... This really makes reading messages
cumbersome... bouncing back and forth to scroll down to read what YOU have to say -- and almost
always we have already read the post your are replying to. If we forgot or need to clarify -- we
can always scroll down...

But please .... put your reply first!

Standard on this news group is to post below, quoting either the whole
thing, or snipping out the bits we are not referring to. Sometimes,
with a long or complex answer in parts, we intersperse the answers with
the relevant bits of the original post.

I'm probably not alone in this request -- but this is just my 2 cents... and my request. (or is
there some reason why you do this? if so I'd welcome an explanation so I could better understand. )

Some groups prefer top posting, but all those I subscribe to either
don't mind either way or prefer bottom posting.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 9th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Kate, I don't agree that this NG prefers bottom posting. I think it is a
toss up. I like the top posting. When the person leaves LOTS of the
prior message, then just adds a wee sentence ... I don't like that. Most
times, bottom postin is too clumsy. JMO,

'Standard' doesn't mean EVERYBODY does it - there are always going to be
folk who kick over the traces. Doesn't bother me either way. It
just seems more natural to me to post replies at the bottom, and that's
the way my newsreader is set up.

Old January 9th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:26:16 -0500, "Kate G."
wrote:

[...]

When you read a book, do you read down the page or up? When you
read jokes, do you expect to see the punch line above the rest of the
joke or below it?
It is standard usenet etiquette to post replies below the block of
original text. Top-posting bothers me, so I won't be doing that,
sorry.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It drives me batty to have to re-read through all of the previous post
to get to the new posters response/reply. I have often wished that
people who repost the original post - would add their response/reply at
the Beginning as opposed to at the end.

JMTCW,
Tina

Old January 9th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My newsreader (outlook express) puts the original post, then each reply in
order of time received underneath, so you get like a chain response. If I
had to scroll to the bottom of each of those to read a response, rereading
each post as I went, not only would the time factor spent reading blow out a
gazillion times, I'd know each post by heart by the time I reached the last
one. I'm sorry but I'm a serial top-poster.

To each their own, we have no moderator, I was not aware there were any
rules and if I've broken some I'm sorry but life's too short....

quicker)

ups.com...

Old January 9th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Kate G." wrote in message

I'm probably not alone in this request -- but this is just my 2 cents...
and my request. (or is there some reason why you do this? if so I'd
welcome an explanation so I could better understand. )

I do it both ways. If I'm replying in general to a post, I usually reply at
the top. If I'm replying to something specific (like in this reply), I snip
all but the relevant line or two, and reply below. If I'm replying to
several specific things, I do snip-reply-snip-reply, to it becomes obvious
what reply goes with what part.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 9th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I don't know why it is not done that way other than it is not 'proper'
usenet etiquette. Even though it's not 'proper' I do it myself and really
appreciate those that to do so. I find it easier to read, but I'm sure
though that there are many that really like it the 'proper' way. It would
be really nice if we all like doing it the same way, but that will never
happen, so we are all just going to have to put up with each other each
doing it our own way.

JM2C
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old January 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I agree. I just want to read what the REPLIER has to say. I've read the
original post.

Of course we know that this thread is NOT going to change the way people
post. LOL.
Susie