OT for Minkee lovers only

Old December 17th 04, 12:40 PM
Polly Esther

Default OT for Minkee lovers only

Do not read this if you don't like Minkee. We will understand.
If you have stitched some Minkee, please guide me. I want to try it, at
least once.
Do you double the Minkee and birth it? Line it? With what?
Do you bind it? With what?
If it stretches seriously, how do you prevent the edges from looking
like curly parsley?
Any other pitfalls? I've seen some that wants to follow me home but I
don't know where to begin. Polly

Old December 17th 04, 02:01 PM
Debbi

Polly,

When I made a baby quilt, I used my neighbor's serger and put a border of
flannel around the minkee (border was about 6 inches). I then sandwiched it
with no batting, backed with matching flannel. and then added a binding.

HTH
Debbi in SO CA

nk.net...

Old December 17th 04, 04:03 PM
Kim E

I used the Minkee just like I would any other backing. I bound it with
regular woven cotton (a Fossil Fern, to be specific).

I STRONGLY recommend a walking foot and cotton batting. I had a bit of
trouble with shifting even so.

Because it was a Prayers & Squares quilt, this quilt was tied as well
as MQed. The MQing was for stability. I thought the quilt was just
too heavy to solely rely on the ties to hold it together.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kimenews/my_photos
The quilt backed with Minkee is in the Prayers & Squares album. It is
Odessa's quilt.

If anyone is interested in Prayers & Squares, check out
www.prayerquilt.org.

Kim

Old December 17th 04, 05:45 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I read it, Polly, 'cause I might fall in love with Minkee,
who knows? I just haven't brought any into the house, yet.
I mean, if it were to show up in the mailbox, well, of course
it would be only kindness itself for me to bring it inside, right?
It gets cold here (okay, so it's in the 60sºF and sunny, today,
but it does get chilly!!) & I wouldn't want a poor little Minkee
to lie shivering in the mailbox. If any were to show up,
like as a sample or something, you know?
;-D

And now I'm gonna' read the answers to your questions,
so I'll know, ya' know?

Ragmop/Sandy

Old December 17th 04, 08:52 PM
Diana Curtis

Sniff, this is what I love about quilters so much, open minds and big
hearts. Not bashful either. Makes me proud to be a part of it all...
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
. ..

Old December 17th 04, 09:27 PM
Polly Esther

I just tried Sandy's chocolate cookie recipe. Had to cool them on the
Society Section of the Gator Daily News. If these things will kill you, it
will take the Undertaker 3 days to get the smile off of your face. And -
we've got all kinds of bachelors and gators begging at the kitchen door.
Anyone need a husband? A gator? Sandy's cookies will lure both. Polly

Old December 17th 04, 09:58 PM
taria

I've got 3 single sisters right now but maybe the gators would be
more suitable than your bachelors.
Oh, I hear those cookies have no calories either Polly.
TAria

Old December 17th 04, 11:27 PM
Diana Curtis

At Christmas, no cookie, cake or candy has calories. See, calories have
hearts and at this time of year their hearts are so light that the calories
just float on out of the goodies... and into the oatmeal. Avoid oatmeal like
the plague this time of year.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old December 18th 04, 02:28 AM
AliceW

Polly, I made my grandson a little minkee blanket with minkee on one side
and cotton on the other. I used blanket binding to join the two fabrics
together. It is only 18" x 24" so I didn't quilt it. The baby is only 4.5
months old, but mom has a hard time getting it pried from his little hand so
it can be washed! He holds onto it whenever he can. He holds it to his
face when mom is feeding him and sleeps with it at night. I think it's
because he knows it was made by his Grandma, but I have a feeling it could
be because it feels so darn nice.

ps - use masking tape along the edges to keep it from curling.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
: Do not read this if you don't like Minkee. We will understand.
: If you have stitched some Minkee, please guide me. I want to try it, at
: least once.
: Do you double the Minkee and birth it? Line it? With what?
: Do you bind it? With what?
: If it stretches seriously, how do you prevent the edges from looking
: like curly parsley?
: Any other pitfalls? I've seen some that wants to follow me home but I
: don't know where to begin. Polly
:
:
:
:

All you Orchid lovers roxan Beads 3 April 12th 04 01:25 PM
AD: Purple Lovers Lampwork Juanita Floyd Beads 0 January 16th 04 10:22 PM
Hey TiaMary and other cat lovers On topic Cheryl Isaak Needlework 1 December 6th 03 07:46 PM