Wire question

Old November 23rd 03, 03:29 AM
Regina

Default Wire question

Hi Guys,

I just purchased some "solder-filled sterling round wire" from Rio Grande
and would like to know if any of you are familiar with it. I thought it was
wire that can be used to make jump rings but now I'm not sure. The
description in the cataloge reads: "Solder-filled sterling wire is a
tri-metal wi a solder core surrounded by a copper shell and a fine silver
outer layer....The core eliminates the need for additional solder,
simplifying production. This wire is ideal for making chains and jump rings.
Simply flux and use."

Would I use this wire to solder jump rings or can this wire be used to make
jump rings? I am so new to this that I may be asking a totally stupid
question but I know someone here will be able to help.

Thanks.

Regina

Old November 23rd 03, 06:06 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:29:46 GMT, "Regina"
wrote:
I just purchased some "solder-filled sterling round wire" from Rio Grande
and would like to know if any of you are familiar with it.The
description in the cataloge reads: "Solder-filled sterling wire is a
tri-metal wi a solder core surrounded by a copper shell and a fine silver
outer layer....The core eliminates the need for additional solder,
simplifying production. This wire is ideal for making chains and jump rings.
Simply flux and use."

Would I use this wire to solder jump rings or can this wire be used to make
jump rings?

Use only for soldering. I suppose you could use it to
make jump rings, but if you try to solder them closed, the
whole thing will most likely melt. Then there is the
problem of flexibility. How soft is the stuff? It can't be
as hard as silver itself, what with the copper and the
solder. Seems to me that rings made from it would
deform rather easily............
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus
Old November 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
Regina

Thanks Barbara. I should have asked the customer service rep at Rio before I
ordered. The wire is very soft so you are right it would not be suitable for
rings. Oh well, I guess I will be soldering alot.

Regina

Use only for soldering. I suppose you could use it to
make jump rings, but if you try to solder them closed, the
whole thing will most likely melt. Then there is the
problem of flexibility. How soft is the stuff? It can't be
as hard as silver itself, what with the copper and the
solder. Seems to me that rings made from it would
deform rather easily............
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus

Question about hammering wire. Marissa Undercofler Beads 2 September 16th 03 08:05 AM
Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools April H. Beads 13 September 12th 03 06:14 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM
Wire Question CLP Beads 10 August 26th 03 01:23 PM
I need beads! Rant and ? about wire mkahogan Beads 6 July 23rd 03 02:06 AM