Noah's Sub--any tips?

Old May 6th 04, 08:19 PM
jv

I've never finished my edges, either, Joan, and never really had any
trouble with excessive fraying. (I do love getting packages from
Silkweaver, though, with the serged edges!) Having said that, though,
the piece of Jobelan that I'm doing Deepest Love on right now is
fraying badly - but only on one side! I haven't figured out why yet..
but I don't think it will reform me enough to have the patience to
finish off my edges before a new start.

Joan Erickson wrote in message ...
Meredith wrote:

depends on the fabric. Some of the nonlinens I've used have frayed like
mad.

Hm. Guess I've never used anything other than aida, linen, salem cloth
or lugana. What fabric frays so badly?

Old May 6th 04, 09:36 PM
sunflower

I LOVE that Anne~! Do you have a link to a pic of NS stitched on this
fabric?

Sarah
"Anne Tuchscherer" wrote in message
s.com...
If you use a hoop or q-snaps (is that the type of frame you have?) then
you can move the hoop or q-snap around on the fabric as needed. But I
would cover any stitches with a piece of muslin or white paper towel
before clamping down on them. If you have scroll frames there is not
much that you can do if the fabric is too wide for the bars. If you
bought way to much fabric and you can cut it down to the size you really
need and get a good sized second piece out of it I would definitely cut
it down just for ease of management. A good rule of thumb is when
framing with mats cut 8 inches larger in both directions (or add 4
inches to each side), when framing without mats cut 6 inches larger in
both directions (or add 3 inches to each side). This gives you plenty
of extra for mounting and covering with mats and/or frame. It also
gives you a bit of fudge factor if your stitching is not perfectly
centered on the fabric.

I also own the pattern for the sub and bought a piece of fabric to
stitch it on from The Blended Needle called Sunset
(http://www.heavenleecreations.com/specialty.htm). I have seen it
stitched on this fabric before and it looked really great.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)
catching up on my RCTN reading after dealing with this stupid sasser
virus for three days

S & A wrote:

I remember finding somone who had a website showing the mistakes in the
original chart. Should I presume that this new release has addressed

those?

My last post was lost in the middle of the flame war, so I'll ask again.
How do you think I should tackle this piece? On a frame, hoop or

nothing.
It's a huge piece of material, think I may have bought too much! I use
those frames that click together but am not sure they do one big enough.

Sharon (UK)

"Meredith" wrote in message

Jobelan, maybe? One of those blends, I'm really not sure which one.

Meredith

Old May 6th 04, 09:55 PM
Roberta

Then take my suggestion and just killfile her. I promise, your experience
here will be much better and the rest of us won't have to read it, either.

Roberta

"Caryn" wrote in message
This was a nice discussion that has, once again, deteriorated into

childish
pettiness and potshots.

Roberta,

I'm sorry.

I should know better than to ever post a personal opinion in any thread

where
Sarah has posted. It never ends well.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

Old May 6th 04, 09:57 PM
Roberta

Nice. You 'apologized' but blamed it all on her. Smacks of insincerity.
Here's 2 pieces of advice: first, little girl, GROW UP. Second, killfile
her. If you choose to keep engaging her and can't keep yourself from
responding, I guarantee you, you'll end up talking to yourself because
everyone else will silence you.

Roberta

"sunflower" wrote in message
I'm sorry Roberta ~

I admit Caryn 'gets' my goat. It seems like every time I post something

she
feels the need to personally attack me and start squabbling.

I'll try and keep my fingers away from send

Sarah
"Roberta" wrote in message
ink.net...
You 2 never learn, do you? Do us all a favor and killfile each

other...NOW.

This was a nice discussion that has, once again, deteriorated into

childish
pettiness and potshots. Sarah, you may think that Caryn started it, but
you're just as much at fault because you couldn't keep your fingers

still
and had to reply. Caryn, you may think that Sarah started it, but,

again,
you're just as much at fault because you couldn't keep from responding,
either.

I don't care which of you has bigger or more issues, just STOP FIGHTING!

Roberta

"sunflower" wrote in message
I never said your nebula was bad. What is with you and continually

putting
words in other people's mouths? I SAID I LIKED YOUR FREAKING DRAGON

FOR
PETE'S SAKE!

As for your opinions - they are exactly THAT - how come it's a shame

for
Noah's Sub not to be stitched as it was 'originally intended' but not

for
others? I feel that personalizing a piece is wonderful - and helps to

make
it more the stitchers.

I think it's absolutely LUDICROUS to state that changing a design to a
personal preference is diminishing anything. What designer expects a
stitcher to stitch a design exactly as charted all the time? It would

be
very boring world indeed if charts were followed to the letter every

time!

Caryn you have DEEP issues. I never once was nasty to you - I even

said
liked your dragon. I stated my (and my friends' opinions) that we

felt
the
Nebula detracted from the dragon. You took it upon yourself to turn

that
into something bad. You do that continually ~ twist people

statements
into
something to suit your needs. Sad really.

Sarah

"Caryn" wrote in message
My original post was regarding Noah's Sub - and an alternative
fabric option.

And my post about it was my opinion about how I liked the design as
charted
over using that fabric.

I said several times it was my opinion, I gave several reasons why I

liked
it
better as charted. None of them having to do with you in any way.

I mentioned stitching backgrounds, and gave an example of how much
background I
am willing to stitch. I used one of my own designs as my example.

You then chose to make it personal by saying that you'd discussed my
design
didn't like what I'd done, that "my" nebula was bad.

It is ironic that you are the one who has gotten so very upset about

me
stating
my opinions about the designs of others tho.

When you do it it's "constructive criticism" when I do it it's

"personal
jeolousy" of that other designer.

Noah's Sub as designed is absolutely lovely. It really does seem a

shame
to me
to diminish the designer's vision by not doing the background as

charted.

Old May 6th 04, 09:59 PM
Roberta

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
ink.net...
Let it drop, guys. Both ladies apologised to the group in a very nice
manner, and we should let it die, I think. Roberta is a superb peacemaker!

am thinking of recommending her to the UN as the offical "Pacifier"!! LOL

As long as no one gets the bright idea to stick my head in their mouth!!!!

Roberta

This sounds a fascinating chart; maybe after my eye is fixed I can tackle
such an item.

Gillian.

"jv" wrote in message
om...
Here we go again.. this must be the beginning of another one of
Sarah's "Caryn's picking on me" whines. She didn't call you lazy,
dear - she just said that SHE wasn't lazy sigh Why do you try to
read an insult where none is intended???

"sunflower" wrote in message

I didn't even notice the bottom of your post - I wouldn't say I'm

lazy -
I'd
say that I'm unique in finding a new way to avoid things I find

tedious.

I feel that hand dyed can add a LOT to a piece, and eliminates

unnecessary
'fill' stitching.

Sarah
"Caryn" wrote in message
we just had a little discussion regarding this pattern a few weeks

ago -
also ordered the chart and also ordered a custom piece of fabric

from
Sugar
Maple Fabrics to do it on.

I decided that there was NO WAY I was going to do all of those 1/2
stitches
in the sky LOL!

I compared the chart picture with the picture on the website of that
fabric.

If I buy the chart, I will not buy that fabric. I definately prefer

the
details as it is charted. You get the feeling of the air and wind,

while
the
fabric looked very flat to me.

Plus, I don't mind stitching a background if it adds to the piece.

lazy
stitcher I am not! lol

JMHO,

Old May 6th 04, 11:32 PM
Heather

Hi Sharon,
I'm also going to post this to the new yahoo group. As for the size
of the material, if you can tell me what count it is, I'll show you
how to figure out how much you'll need, and maybe you can cut it down.
I can tell you that it is a LARGE piece though, so if your LNS cut
the fabric, it probably is right. Don't be intimidated, the stitching
itself is easy, there's just lots of it. By frames, it sounds like
you're using Q-snaps (the white plastic ones that connect together).
If so, you can do it on a set of Q-snaps that are smaller than the
whole piece, and in fact that's what I'd recommend. I'm doing it
using 12 inch Q-snaps. You just need to remember to remove the clamp
part from any stitched areas when not stitching, and not to 'twist'
those clamps when adjusting tension. Right now, just my right one is
over stitched material, so I simply remove that when I'm done for an
evening. and use the other three to adjust tension when needed. As
for how you should do it, use what you are most comfortable with. I
used scroll bars for my first big piece, hoops for my next 2 MLI's,
Q-snaps for most things since I got them, but I still do some as
in-hand. Mostly my travel project, chosen to do in-hand to make it
easier to bring places with me. It all comes down to personal
preference. Since this is such a large piece, use what you're most
comfortable with.
Hope this helps,
Heather

Old May 7th 04, 01:19 AM
Jenn Liace

Joan Erickson wrote:
Meredith wrote:

depends on the fabric. Some of the nonlinens I've used have frayed
like mad.

Hm. Guess I've never used anything other than aida, linen, salem
cloth or lugana. What fabric frays so badly?

Jobelan does have a bit of a tendency to unravel, although I don't
know that I've ever lost more than 3-4 threads on a side. As a
result, I typically treat my edes with a bit of FrayCheck while
preparing to stitch. I used to trim the edge off after stitching,
until I read a comparison chart on www.threadheaven.com that
specifically stated that FrayCheck would not stain the fabric or break
down and damage my work over time.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com

UFO's:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Lady of the Flag (MIrabilia)
Old May 7th 04, 05:07 PM
Caryn

"Roberta" wrote in message hlink.net...
Nice. You 'apologized' but blamed it all on her. Smacks of insincerity.
Here's 2 pieces of advice: first, little girl, GROW UP. Second, killfile
her. If you choose to keep engaging her and can't keep yourself from
responding, I guarantee you, you'll end up talking to yourself because
everyone else will silence you.

Roberta

Roberta,

I have followed your very sage advice. I have killfiled Sunflower.

I am sure that you are 100% correct and that my RCTN experience will
be far more pleasurable now. I know that killfiling other people has
had that effect, so I'm quite sure this will too.

I hope my decision relieves your mind. BG

Caryn

Old May 8th 04, 04:10 AM
Rhiannon

Hmmm, maybe that is another reason why I really like those three
designers. I had never made that connection before.

jv wrote:
Many are extremely
gracious and will publicly comment on how they enjoy seeing what
stitchers do with their peices to make them truly their own (Teresa
Wentzler, Mark Saastad and Thea Dueck come immediately to mind).

--
Brenda
Styx, Frampton, & Nelson