Noah's Sub--any tips?

Old May 6th 04, 08:07 AM
S & A

I'm just going to bind my edges with masking tape. Is this best put on a
frame, in a hoop or hand held? It's a lot os material and I'm not sure my
frames are big enough as I'm now using the frames that click together(can't
remember the name!)

Sharon (UK)

"Meredith" wrote in message
depends on the fabric. Some of the nonlinens I've used have frayed like
mad.

Meredith

Joan Erickson wrote:
Kriesel wrote:

I just got the re-released copy of Noah's Sub. I can't wait to get
started,
but I have to get my fabric edged

Why wait? Just start! I have never edged my fabric. Once the
first 2 or 3 threads come out, it doesn't fray any further, IME.

Old May 6th 04, 12:21 PM
sunflower

we just had a little discussion regarding this pattern a few weeks ago - I
also ordered the chart and also ordered a custom piece of fabric from Sugar
Maple Fabrics to do it on.

I decided that there was NO WAY I was going to do all of those 1/2 stitches
in the sky LOL!

Now to find time to fit it into my rotation

Sarah

Old May 6th 04, 12:30 PM
Caryn

we just had a little discussion regarding this pattern a few weeks ago - I
also ordered the chart and also ordered a custom piece of fabric from Sugar
Maple Fabrics to do it on.

I decided that there was NO WAY I was going to do all of those 1/2 stitches
in the sky LOL!

I compared the chart picture with the picture on the website of that fabric.

If I buy the chart, I will not buy that fabric. I definately prefer the
details as it is charted. You get the feeling of the air and wind, while the
fabric looked very flat to me.

Plus, I don't mind stitching a background if it adds to the piece. A lazy
stitcher I am not! lol

JMHO,

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old May 6th 04, 12:56 PM
sunflower

Have you ever seen it stitched? Must be a personal preference I guess I
have stitched Kincaide pieces that had the entire sky 1/2 stitched (as a
matter of fact - I just donated one to my daughters daycare which they are
rafflling off as a fundraiser)

I think that using the fabric will allow the animals and sub to 'pop' off
the fabric - IMO the sky will take away from the rest of the design.

Sarah

Old May 6th 04, 12:57 PM
sunflower

I didn't even notice the bottom of your post - I wouldn't say I'm lazy - I'd
say that I'm unique in finding a new way to avoid things I find tedious.

I feel that hand dyed can add a LOT to a piece, and eliminates unnecessary
'fill' stitching.

Sarah

Old May 6th 04, 01:14 PM
Caryn

I didn't even notice the bottom of your post - I wouldn't say I'm lazy - I'd
say that I'm unique in finding a new way to avoid things I find tedious.

I just said I wasn't lazy.

I did afterall stitch an entire nebula behind a dragon for one of my own
designs.

Some would argue that the dragon would look just fine on a hand-dyed, and I
say, that's fine, if that's what they'd prefer.

I don't think the sky distracts from the animals, I think it adds to the piece,
giving it motion. The fabric doesn't add that element, IMO.

Old May 6th 04, 01:47 PM
sunflower

Ahhh once again we agree to disagree I saw your design with the dragon -
and actually the discussion amongst us was that yes - your 'nebula'
detracted from your dragon. (In our opinions of course - we liked the dragon
and felt it would have 'popped' more on a hand dyed.

It's interesting how changing one small piece of a design can truly make it
unique isn't it? For example - regarding Mirabilia charts - I almost ALWAYS
change the fabric - right now I am stitching Santa's Magic for a friend and
am doing it on a blue linen that my friend chose - IMO (as well as the
people in her LNS ~ she saw a changed version on this particular ground
fabric and went with that) the design stands out WAY better on the blue!
When I saw the cover pic I loved the design, but hated the ugly brown
background.

Sarah

Old May 6th 04, 02:23 PM
Caryn

Ahhh once again we agree to disagree I saw your design with the dragon -
and actually the discussion amongst us was that yes - your 'nebula'
detracted from your dragon. (In our opinions of course - we liked the dragon
and felt it would have 'popped' more on a hand dyed.

The nebula picture from the Hubble Telescope (used with permission) inspired
the entire piece. Bit of creative insight.

Who is this "us" you discussed my dragon with? I don't remember it getting
much talk here.

And really now much more could a red dragon pop off a bland handdyed than it
did against that amazing picture from space? I looked at a lot of fabrics, to
offer my customers an alternative, and failed to find one that came close to my
vision.

If your post was designed to, once again, disparage my design skills, I think
it's time for you to grow up and stop taking pot shots at me.

Old May 6th 04, 02:31 PM
sunflower

Excuse me? I happen to have several friends who stitch - are we NOT
allowed to discuss your designs? BLAND hand dyes? LOL! I think you must
have been referring to regular fabrics - although hand dyes are certainly
not appropriate in EVERY situation - they definitely add a great element to
stitching!

As for searching for fabrics - are you not aware that many hand dyed
companies do custom pieces for designers? If you were interested that is an
option - and because I gave my opinion you start snapping at me. What kind
of designer can't take constructive criticism? Nothing I said was nasty or
mean.

Nothing I have said was meant to be a pot shot - I think you seem to be
stirring up trouble again Caryn - for some reason EVERY time I post
something you seem to find it a pot shot against you. Believe me honey,
you aren't on my mind that much LOL! I think you are overestimating
yourself! My original post was regarding Noah's Sub - and an alternative
fabric option. The newsgroup has been fairly friendly the last little
bit - why do you have to try and start something now? Perhaps it is you who
needs the growing up!

Sarah