Trimming

Old January 8th 04, 12:03 AM
Lindsay MacArthur

Default Trimming

If kept moist in plastic, is it okay for a piece sit for a couple
days before it is trimmed?

LMac
Old January 8th 04, 12:40 AM

When well-wrapped I've been able to let a piece sit for a couple weeks when
life got too hectic. A damp basement helps.
Simon

Old January 8th 04, 01:10 AM
Dewitt

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:03:05 -0500, Lindsay MacArthur
wrote:

If kept moist in plastic, is it okay for a piece sit for a couple
days before it is trimmed?

LMac

Shoot, as long as you keep it moist you can let it sit a year or two
before you trim it. :-)

deg
Old January 8th 04, 08:47 AM
annemarie

"Lindsay MacArthur" wrote in message
If kept moist in plastic, is it okay for a piece sit for a couple
days before it is trimmed?

LMac

Doesn't matter how long as long as it is kept damp. It all depends on the
weather though, cold, wet days and your work takes ages to dry, and hot dry
conditions and you need to be very careful things don't dry too fast. Y

Old January 8th 04, 01:17 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Thanks everybody, I feel much better!

LMac
Old January 16th 04, 11:32 AM
Lee Love

Lindsay MacArthur wrote:

If kept moist in plastic, is it okay for a piece sit for a couple
days before it is trimmed?

LMac

Yes. If you have to leave the work for an extended time, put plastic
on the ware board and completely wrap the work up. If the work is left
on the wooden board, the wood will soak up some of the moisture.

Lee in Mashiko http://mashiko.us

Web Log (click on recent date):
http://www.livejournal.com/users/togeika/calendar
Old January 18th 04, 07:46 PM
Slgraber

and if you have the piece covered for a long time and it DOES dry out too far
you can bring it back to a good leather wetness by covering the piece on a
board with a bowl of water and towel In the same bowl. this gets the humidity
up higher and slowly the claybody regains lost moisture.

those dry cleaner bags work the BEST for me and they are usually pretty large &
enable a good complete wrapping of pieces & the work board & water bowl.

steve

Subject: Trimming

Old January 20th 04, 05:23 AM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Another variable: what's your environment? I'm in the Mojave desert --
driest area of the US. However, now, during the winter, when items are left
in the shop with no heat turned on (especially at night), they dry very
little, if at all, within plastic veggie bags. While I'm working, there are
lights and an electric floor heater taking the chill off, so newly thrown
items "firm" up when just left uncovered.
Once our winter weather leaves -- probably the middle of next month for at
least a while -- everything will have to be covered quickly & spritzed.
The only real change happening will be the difference in temperature, not a
change in humidity -- except for short periods, our humidity hovers at about
11% to 20%.

Kathy

"Uncle John" wrote in message
(Slgraber) wrote in
:

From: Lee Love

Date: 1/16/2004 3:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
Lindsay MacArthur wrote:

If kept moist in plastic, is it okay for a piece sit for a couple
days before it is trimmed?

LMac

Yes. If you have to leave the work for an extended time, put plastic
on the ware board and completely wrap the work up. If the work is
left on the wooden board, the wood will soak up some of the moisture.

Lee in Mashiko
http://mashiko.us

Web Log (click on recent date):
http://www.livejournal.com/users/togeika/calendar
--

steve graber

Talking about dry cleaning bags..

We find that our dry cleaning bags are slightly porous and are great for
wrapping any piece in that needs to dry very slowly. With this very slow
drying the moisture content is evened out throughout the piece and it
dries evenly.

John W

Old January 20th 04, 01:42 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

I live in Georgia where we have humidity that can reach 99% so I
usually have no problem with my pieces drying to quickly---it's
normally the opposite. Our winters are much drier so this is the only
time of the year that I really have any concerns about how quickly my
stuff is drying.