cone firing

Old January 4th 04, 07:11 PM
Eddie Daughton

'tother thing to do (as it's only 5lb) is to use it as a slip, nothing like
a white slip for brightening up those muddy stonewares.....(also works well
on the bright ones, can also act to protect parts of the glaze from the
effects of iron in your body)
Oh what fun we had....
Hugz
Eddie
"Kathy" wrote in message
Sorry about the name switching. I'm Kathy (Stu is my husband who
communicates with newsgroups related to homebuilt rotorcraft and
machining.Check out our web site, www.vkss.com ) Took these several

changes
to get my "signature" block corrected for this group. Kathryn Fields is
just a formalization of course, so the choice to change made sense to me
this am.

All of your contributions are quite helpful. Certainly, I would discuss
firing this clay with who ever controls/fires any of the available kilns.
Was just wondering whether to put the clay away until a better time, using
other clays which I have and know they will work in our resources.

I'm too new to this to buy a kiln -- unless there is a very small kiln

which
would cover small quantity testing, yet had a wide range of heating
possibilities. As you point out, pottery is not a simple craft and

requires
a good deal of study along with all the shere practice I can muster.
Developing throwing skills, glazing, building and understanding clays

fully
occuppies my attention, without crowding in this entire further study of
kilns.

Anyway the point is I really appreciate all your contributions to my
education and searing.

Kathy

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message

Kathy wrote:

These are some of the reasons for my questions. Looks like there may

be

Kathy,
this thread is a bit difficult to follow, you appear first under "Stu",

then
under "Kathrin Fields" and then under "Kathy", you never sign your

postings with
a name, it took me a while to realize this is all the same person.

What is written in the available books usually _is_ experienced reality.

People
who haven't experienced reality unsually don't write books. And pottery

is
_not_
a simple craft by no means. Read the books carefully and then experiment

on your
own, it takes time to find out what _your_ clay, _your_ glazes, do.
I, for example, have a clay which i couldn't possibly fire only one cone

higher
than supposed, it very quickly melts into a glaze. Other clays have a

firing
range of several cones without any noticable effects. Most of it is

trial
and
error, make one small piece, fire it at cone xxx and see what happens.
Here in the newsgroup, you get people from all over the world, using

different
clays, different glazes, there is no way we can tell you what your clay

will do
under what conditions. Experimenting is fun! Sometimes you find things

totally
unexpected, for better or worse!
Enjoy it!

Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Glaze firing Wendy Cyrenne Pottery 1 September 27th 03 01:38 AM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM