Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools

Old September 10th 03, 02:12 PM
April H.

Default Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools

I've been wanting to learn to wire wrap my earrings and bracelets for
some time now. So I ordered myself a pair of the wire wrapping
pliers. I've been waiting for what seems like an interminably long
time for them to arrive (been waiting for 2 days hehehe). I tried
regular pliers, but the holes weren't perfectly round...didn't like
that. So I got to looking thru my honey's toolbox. No round nose
pliers to be had there, but I DID find a long skinny screw.

I'm the kind of person who'll use just about anything as a
tool....table knives make great screwdrivers, btw....so my honey just
rolled his eyes and kept his mouth shut. It actually worked
surprisingly well...I was able to wrap the wire around the thread of
the screw. Who needs expensive wire wrapping pliers when a trip to
the hardware store with .25 cents will get you all you need?
hehehehe....ok....maybe I still do need them, but lordy why do they
take so long to ship???

Anyway, here's the picture of my progress thus far. As you can see,
my wrapping isn't perfect but better than I expected. But hey....I
was using a screw LOL! I should be embarassed to say that, but I
actually think it's funny. Unfortunately, my photographic skills are
much worse than my first wire wrapping!

http://members.aol.com/jbwwork/wirewrapearrings.jpg
April

I Corinthians 13:13
Old September 10th 03, 02:31 PM
April H.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:25:16 -0500, MargieK
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:12:49 GMT, April H.
wrote:

http://members.aol.com/jbwwork/wirewrapearrings.jpg

You did that with a screw?! Can't wait to see what you do with your
round nose pliers.

Check out my picture trail (wire album) for my firsts. I'm still
learning too.

I can see from your wireworked arrowheads that I'm going to have to
keep my honey away from your site or he'll be taking over my supplies!
VERY cool stuff on your pic site!
April

I Corinthians 13:13
Old September 10th 03, 02:34 PM
April H.

wrote:

http://members.aol.com/jbwwork/wirewrapearrings.jpg

You did that with a screw?! Can't wait to see what you do with your
round nose pliers.

Check out my picture trail (wire album) for my firsts. I'm still
learning too.

OOPS...forgot to mention that the clover is a component! I've
wirewrapped the danglies to it. But I'm sure I could MAKE the clover
with a screw and a thumbtack LOL....just call me MacGyver
April

I Corinthians 13:13
Old September 10th 03, 02:59 PM
Carol in SLC

better than I expected. But hey....I was using a screw

Hey, April - whatever works, LOL! Seriously, you did a great job and showed
ingenuity, too!!
:-)

Carol in SLC
New pic (9/5): http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/glorious.jpg
Old September 10th 03, 04:25 PM
mkahogan

.....table knives make great screwdrivers, btw..

Oh, absolutely!!! I never know where my husbands tools are, or they are
outin the garage. Thus: table knives make great srewdrivers!

Nice work and pretty design.
KathyH

Old September 10th 03, 07:10 PM
Beadbimbo

Nice job! I can't wait to see what you do with the RIGHT tools!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old September 11th 03, 12:01 AM
NYC-FMS

"April H." wrote in message
Anyway, here's the picture of my progress thus far. As you can see,
my wrapping isn't perfect but better than I expected. But hey....I
was using a screw LOL!

Actually using a screw wasn't a weird idea, but a nail would have worked
better. In jewelry school we made our own jump rings by winding the wire
around a thick round piece of brass. Think ultra heavy gauge wire that is
very stiff. I have also used anything handy for size variation, including
pencils. The professional way to cut them is with a jeweler's saw on a
slant so they close nicer, but I get lazy and sometimes use wire cutters.

For wire wrapping I often use my fingers, then tighten up with appropriate
pliers ( I got all kinds).

Rebecca

Old September 11th 03, 12:23 AM
alia

so the clover finding, that thing opens up right??? cause i cant
figure how else you could have gotten those thingies on there!!!

GORGEOUS, by the way

alia
www.auntbeep.com
Old September 11th 03, 06:34 PM
Dr. Sooz

Margie -- Your work is just beautiful -- and I think it's underpriced. You
should be getting more money for those things.

Margie
http://www.PictureTrail.com/margiek
My auctions:
http://snurl.com/245y