Fatigue Sweater - who was looking for a pattern?

Old July 31st 03, 12:17 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Fatigue Sweater - who was looking for a pattern?

Hi Slinky,
That was me! I've decided to forgo that project for now, but thanks
so much!!!!
Hugs,
Noreen

Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

=A0

Old July 31st 03, 01:53 PM
Madelaine

I'm glad you posted this because I've been eyeing that book for a long time.
Do you think it is worthwhile?
Madelaine

SlinkyToy wrote:

I just received from across the water a copy of Gwyn Morgan's book
"Traditional Knitting in the British Isles". On p20 in my (original
hardback) copy there is a pattern for the "Traditional Channel Island
Guernsey". Knitted in pieces and sewn together for some strange reason - a
method that is not traditional as far as I've been able to tell.

But anyhow, the photo shows a basic pullover with a high neck and split
ribbed welts, 5/8" sleeves that have long ribbing. AND, at the
shoulder/sleeve join there's some ribbing as well, looks like maybe 1.5-2"
of rib.

Add some leather patches on the shoulders and you'd have a fatigue sweater.

Old July 31st 03, 05:55 PM
SlinkyToy

I think so. I've got other books about both Arans and ganseys, plus Fair
Isle, but this is sort of like having all of those in one place.

Old July 31st 03, 09:32 PM
AGRES

Real fatigue sweaters do not have seams in the shoulder area where they
would rub against pack straps (or camera bag straps). Thus, the front and
back of fatigue sweaters are knitted in one piece. This is less of an
issue now that we use waist belts to carry most of the weight of framed
backpacks, rather than the old fashioned rucksacks that put all the weight
on the top of the shoulders. For sample patterns of both V-neck and
turtle-neck fatigue sweaters see http://www.hjsstudio.com/rc2sweater.html.

I've started planning one of these turtle-necks for myself using sock yarn
on the shoulders & elbows with the neck made of very soft camel. The stitch
pattern will be a 6X2 rib to provide even greater ease in skiing/
mountaineering activities. It should last me the rest of my backpacking
life.

Aaron

Old August 1st 03, 02:09 PM
Madelaine

It seems like avoiding seams in the shoulder area could also help with
carrying/shooting guns also.
Thanks for this.
Madelaine

Old August 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Just surfing the net this afternoon, looking for a necktie pattern, and came
across this webpage. She has the actual Red Cross knitting directions for
WWII sweaters!

http://www.heididressler.net/