OT Language question for the Brits

Old November 20th 05, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Language question for the Brits

I need some help with the Queen's English. Or in this case, the Prince of
Wales' English. *grin*

I'm reading a book, and the Prince of Wales mentions his "batman". What on
earth would that job title be? I can't google it, because for the majority
of the internet, as well as the American character who is talking to the
prince, Batman is the guy in tights who hangs out with Robin.

Thanks!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old November 20th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I need some help with the Queen's English. Or in this case, the Prince of
Wales' English. *grin*

I'm reading a book, and the Prince of Wales mentions his "batman". What on
earth would that job title be? I can't google it, because for the majority
of the internet, as well as the American character who is talking to the
prince, Batman is the guy in tights who hangs out with Robin.

A batman is a combination personal butler/administrative assistant.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old November 21st 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:53:01 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

I need some help with the Queen's English. Or in this case, the Prince of
Wales' English. *grin*

I'm reading a book, and the Prince of Wales mentions his "batman". What on
earth would that job title be? I can't google it, because for the majority
of the internet, as well as the American character who is talking to the
prince, Batman is the guy in tights who hangs out with Robin.

Thanks!

It sounds like something from the world of cricket, which has eluded
me so far. Or is that batsman?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 21st 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

They still exist in the military. Someone to care of personal clothing and
uniforms, assist generally - bit like a personal butler. In the military
they are now more often called aides (aides-de-camp), and with modern life
styles seldom do the personal uniform care bits, just the
running-around-after-senior-officer bits LOL

In days past when officers were always "gentlemen" the batman was
responsible for finding lodgings and food for his officer, and for the
horses, as well as for the uniform maintenance. A good batman could made
campaigning bearable if he was resourceful enough, and was therefore
regarded as a prized possession!

In the case of the PoW today it would be many of the traditional duties. He
has uniforms for every occasion and each has a protocol. The batman would
have to know all these. Things like which epaulettes, aiguillettes, medals
(and in what order), hats, swords - even shoes vary. Heaven forbid the PoW
should wear the wrong hat with one of his uniforms!!! LOL

But for the organisations/services/regiments represented this is very
serious. We would not have appreciated seeing a member of the Royal Family
in one of our Australian uniforms (as Commander in Chief) if it was not
correct.

--

Cheryl
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

m...

Old November 21st 05, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The Prince of Wales has so many staff that he even gets someone to put the
paste on the toothbrush for him. He's probably got so many staff that he's
run out of titles for them all and is using up superhero names. (Going off
on a slightly anti-royalist tangent there....)
Morag

Old November 21st 05, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Fun question, Kathy.
Cheryl has it spot on, so I won't add.
However, in case it might help in the future, can you Google with
'.co.uk' instead of '.com.'?
We always use .co.uk, as otherwise any shopping etc would be with
American companies; but we can also 'get' .com, if we want to
particularly.
..
In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes
I need some help with the Queen's English. Or in this case, the Prince of
Wales' English. *grin*

I'm reading a book, and the Prince of Wales mentions his "batman". What on
earth would that job title be? I can't google it, because for the majority
of the internet, as well as the American character who is talking to the
prince, Batman is the guy in tights who hangs out with Robin.

Thanks!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old November 21st 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Google help (was OT Language question for the Brits)

Thanks! I never knew this was possible. (I found it under the "advanced
search" options.) The things you learn just by asking.

Unfortunately, seems like you guys watch a lot of American movies. At least,
that's what comes up in the google search for .co.uk. *grin*

--

"Patti" wrote in message
Fun question, Kathy.
Cheryl has it spot on, so I won't add.
However, in case it might help in the future, can you Google with '.co.uk'
instead of '.com.'?
We always use .co.uk, as otherwise any shopping etc would be with American
companies; but we can also 'get' .com, if we want to particularly.
.
In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes

Old November 21st 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cheryl in Oz wrote:

[...]

Oh, well done! Spot on. My dad was entitled to 'batting service' when
in the RAF. In our case this usually meant help in the house for Mum:
someone to do/help with house work and so forth. Dad looked after his
own uniforms. His collection consisted of every-day 'battle dress', No
1 Uniform for parade and the like, mess kit for evening wear, and
Tropicals when we were in Malta. None of them were as elaborate as some
of the Army regimentals for things like the guards regiments and the
Royal Horse Artillery. Batting wasn't confined to senior ranks: all
officers were entitled to it, though the navy refer to is slightly
differently.

In the past (back in the 19th century, for example) batmen were often
retired from active service due to age or minor disability.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!