Need advice about a sewing machine

Old December 10th 04, 06:18 PM
Jalynne

Default Need advice about a sewing machine

I'm in the market for a new machine soon, and funds are limited. I must say, I'm
biased toward Pfaff, but haven't been able to find anything at all in my price range,
even used, soooo, this is what I've found that may work for me for quite some time,
until I can afford what I really want... http://snipurl.com/b9tr The saleswoman
even said she'd throw in a 1/4" foot and a walking foot. Does anyone have any
experience with it, or a model like it? I've checked all of the comments I can dig
up online, but I want the opinion of people I can trust. Thanks for any advice you
may have.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old December 10th 04, 06:54 PM
nana2b

Hi Jalynne, Looks like a nice machine. Lots of bells and a few whistles
too. May I ask the price for this? I do not have direct experience with
Hus machines. Did you take a little quilt sandwich to give the walking
foot a try? That would show what this little beauty can do.

Hugs, Linda

Old December 10th 04, 07:20 PM
hfw

Well, from what I know--no personal experience--the Huskystar line is kind
of like the Bernette line. Made for Husqvarna, but not in Sweden. I've heard
that the quality of the lower-end line suffers, but I'd think they'd have to
be decent for Husqvarna to be associated with them. Do you like/trust the
dealer? Does this Viking dealer not have any used Vikings?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 07:50 PM
Jalynne

They didn't have any in my price range, Heidi. I can only spend $600, maximum, and
the least expensive they had was $900. I'll keep looking closer to the time when I
have all the money for it, though. Just need to keep my options open, so I don't
make a rushed decision....decisions made in haste are ones I end up regretting.
--

"hfw" wrote in message
Well, from what I know--no personal experience--the Huskystar line is kind
of like the Bernette line. Made for Husqvarna, but not in Sweden. I've heard
that the quality of the lower-end line suffers, but I'd think they'd have to
be decent for Husqvarna to be associated with them. Do you like/trust the
dealer? Does this Viking dealer not have any used Vikings?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 07:56 PM
Jalynne

I did try it out, and was happy with the way it sews. The SRP is $599.00, but I have
a quote from the shop for $499, hoping to see if I can get it any lower, if not more
goodies thrown in.

Old December 10th 04, 07:57 PM
frood

I have a Husqvarna, but not a Huskystar. My experience is that generic feet
don't work for it, you have to get the Husqvarna one. Like if you wanted the
Big Foot, or the Curve Master foot, you have to make sure it would fit the
machine. I would suspect this to be true for the Huskystar, too.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 08:05 PM
Jalynne

Yep, I've been told that, too, which is why I'm working at convincing them to throw
those things into the deal!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"frood" wrote in message
. com...
I have a Husqvarna, but not a Huskystar. My experience is that generic feet don't
work for it, you have to get the Husqvarna one. Like if you wanted the Big Foot, or
the Curve Master foot, you have to make sure it would fit the machine. I would
suspect this to be true for the Huskystar, too.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 08:16 PM
Polly Esther

Jalynne, if you are a died in the wool Pfaff person, you just might not like
the Huskystar. Wonder what the chances would be of your getting a guarantee
that will let you bring it back if you are not pleased? Polly

"Jalynne" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yep, I've been told that, too, which is why I'm working at convincing them

to throw
those things into the deal!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"frood" wrote in message
. com...
I have a Husqvarna, but not a Huskystar. My experience is that generic

feet don't
work for it, you have to get the Husqvarna one. Like if you wanted the

Big Foot, or
the Curve Master foot, you have to make sure it would fit the machine. I

would
suspect this to be true for the Huskystar, too.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 08:29 PM
Jalynne

Depends on what you mean by "dyed in the wool". I've only ever really used my mom's
7570, and I fell in love with it, but I know I can't afford anything close to that
right now.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jalynne, if you are a died in the wool Pfaff person, you just might not like
the Huskystar. Wonder what the chances would be of your getting a guarantee
that will let you bring it back if you are not pleased? Polly

"Jalynne" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yep, I've been told that, too, which is why I'm working at convincing them

to throw
those things into the deal!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"frood" wrote in message
. com...
I have a Husqvarna, but not a Huskystar. My experience is that generic

feet don't
work for it, you have to get the Husqvarna one. Like if you wanted the

Big Foot, or
the Curve Master foot, you have to make sure it would fit the machine. I

would
suspect this to be true for the Huskystar, too.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown

ink.net...

Old December 10th 04, 09:05 PM
Diana Curtis

Personally Id go with a good used Bernina, an 830. I use it for every sewing
job. Its old, yes, but has only needed one repair, I wish I could say the
same for myself. Its quilting area is not wonderful but its a good
hardworking machine. You could name it, oh...say.. hmm.. Bernie? :-)
J. knows Im having fun with her folks. I have such a Bernie, its about the
only *modern* machine I have ever used and it hasnt let me down yet.
Hugs
diana

--
Weird people need beads, too